PDA

View Full Version : vinegar in pump

afireinside
09-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I soaked my 50z in vinegar over night as it was in a loop with my BIP3 that was dirty as hell and turned all my water black. Anyway nickS told me that if there was any rubber in the pump the vinegar would have eaten it all. Is there rubber? Does he even know what he's talking about? Need to know if my pump still works or if it's DDC+ time :slapass:

TSXmike
09-10-2006, 08:13 AM
i think it would be fine if you left the vinegar pump around in there for a little bit and then flush it... but i wouldnt leave it in there for an extended period of time.

NickS
09-10-2006, 08:14 AM
I soaked my 50z in vinegar over night as it was in a loop with my BIP3 that was dirty as hell and turned all my water black. Anyway nickS told me that if there was any rubber in the pump the vinegar would have eaten it all. Is there rubber? Does he even know what he's talking about? Need to know if my pump still works or if it's DDC+ time :slapass:

Hey... all I know is the acid in vinegar can damage the rubber orings on things, so if there were some in your pump they may be damaged.

One_Hertz
09-10-2006, 08:30 AM
a friend of mine ran his loop overnight with vinegar. He has an iwaki pump... nothing wrong seemed to happen water was just a little blue

thunderstruck!
09-10-2006, 08:34 AM
I would never run a pump with vinegar in it. You can always open it up and see if anything looks damaged, but I'm always in favor for any excuse to get a DDC+ if you can.

voigts
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
The only damage possible might be to the o-ring for the pump head, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen in just one night. Vinegar is only slightly acidic. Its not battery acid. Otherwise, the pump is completely sealed from the head chamber fluid so there is nothing to be concerned about there.

syne_24
09-11-2006, 05:22 PM
haha the funny thing is I almost did this too when I setup my first loop. But i highly doubt anything bad will happen if its just one night.

septim
09-12-2006, 06:39 AM
some use pump with vinegar to flush out a radiator...
then rinse with distilled...