Batman!
09-09-2006, 09:22 PM
My current setup as follows:

Aquaxtreme MP-05 SPLE
PA 120.3
Swiftech MCW30
Swifty Micro res
Swifty MCP 655

So ive decided I should mind as well add a gpu block now since I have it all dissasembled for my Radiator upgrade.

Which one should I pick?

I need something <50 that will get the job done. I dont need that extra 1c or 2c difference.

But my only requirement is Metal barbs. I cannot tell you how damn tired I am of those stupid Swiftech barbs. Ugh.

I know the mcw60 seems like the best choice though. And if I did go with that are there any metal barbs I can replace with that will 100 percent gurantee a no leak seal??

afireinside
09-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I got an MCW60 today, but haven't run it yet. Plastic barbs kinda suck but the kit is awesome. Perfect base, 3/8" and 1/2" barbs, 2 orings, hose clamps, AS ceramique, full hold down for all cards, and 8 ram sinks. Very nice package for 60 dollars. I added some teflon tape just to be safe, but I doubt it will leak tape or not.

thunderstruck!
09-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking about this too. I think the maze 4 is the least restrictive, but then again the MCW60 is just as good and comes with ramsinks. Also, the MCW60 rev2 now has a perfect mounting system and a free tube of ceramique! Guess I'll be getting the MCW60. :banana:

AFI: Did you put teflon around the barbs and screwed in with the o-ring on the outside, or did you wrap teflon around the o-ring too?

Nanometer
09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Don't wrap the o-ring, just wrap the threads.

Batman!
09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Cool guys thanks for the feedback..MCW60 is lookin pretty awesome.

1.Ive heard that eddy's barbs pair well with mcw60...is this true? Will I have to use the stock O-ring or eddy's?

2. How bout the aquaxtreme mp-1? Ive had good experiance with their products, the block looks pretty sexy, and has metal barbs. My only concern is the very much increased restriction. Will my pump be able to handle that? Setup is in first post...

thunderstruck!
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Everything except your chipset block is very restrictive and the MCP655 is *ok*, but I still wouldn't recommend it, the mcw60 is much less restrictive.

I'm also wondering about EK barbs and if they'll fit or not. Petra told me he'll be getting some EK stuff soon.:banana:

marauder16
09-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Everything except your chipset block is very restrictive and the MCP655 is *ok*, but I still wouldn't recommend it, the mcw60 is much less restrictive.

I'm also wondering about EK barbs and if they'll fit or not. Petra told me he'll be getting some EK stuff soon.:banana:

has anyone tested these two blocks (maze4 & mcw60) to say which performs better?

and what do you mean with saying *ok* for the MCP655, do you know for a better pump?

thunderstruck!
09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Ever since the DDC+ came out, every other pump looked mediocre.

The Dome
09-10-2006, 03:34 AM
has anyone tested these two blocks (maze4 & mcw60) to say which performs better?

and what do you mean with saying *ok* for the MCP655, do you know for a better pump?

The Maze4, MCW60 and MP-1 all perform within ~4C of each other.

marauder16
09-10-2006, 04:29 AM
@The Dome: thnx for the replay! :D

Ever since the DDC+ came out, every other pump looked average.

@thunderstruck: So basically you say that MCP355 is better than the MCP655? (In a system with CPU, GPU block and a PA120.3 for example.)

EDIT: Weird, Safrout on another topic said that MCW60 is less restrictive than Maze4 :confused:

no they are all teh same

the MCW60 is only less restrictive

septim
09-10-2006, 05:25 AM
originally quoted by marauder16:
@thunderstruck: So basically you say that MCP355 is better than the MCP655? (In a system with CPU, GPU block and a PA120.3 for example.)

yes the mcp355 aka laing ddc+ 18w with aftermarket alphacool plexitop using the top inlet 1/2 side outlet 1/2 is a better performer than the 655. also note that with 2 of these running in series its enought to rival an iwaki pump with regards to head. also its smaller and less heat dump in a loop...

marauder16
09-10-2006, 05:31 AM
yes the mcp355 aka laing ddc+ 18w with aftermarket alphacool plexitop using the top inlet 1/2 side outlet 1/2 is a better performer than the 655. also note that with 2 of these running in series its enought to rival an iwaki pump with regards to head. also its smaller and less heat dump in a loop...
thnx, but these aplhacool tops at performance-pcs only have 1/4'' threads, what to do with them?

septim
09-10-2006, 05:46 AM
its G1/4 threading meant for barb thread to connect to water block.
that 1/4 doesn't mean that its for 1/4 tubing...

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 05:48 AM
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=70&cat=34&page=1

put these on it or an equivalent

edit: correct link

marauder16
09-10-2006, 05:53 AM
its G1/4 threading meant for barb thread to connect to water block.
that 1/4 doesn't mean that its for 1/4 tubing...

here's the link (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4506), it doesn't say for what kind of tubing it is, how can I find out then?

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 05:59 AM
here's the link (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4506), it doesn't say for what kind of tubing it is, how can I find out then?
you can use either 1/2 or 7/16 on the 1/2 barbs that i linked you to
a lot of us use 7/16 because it seals better and is cheaper
tygon is the best but much more spendy master clear is what a lot of us use its cheaper and imo just as good

be sure to get enough to get the job done

septim
09-10-2006, 06:00 AM
The optimal attachment for the Laing DDC pump.

This attachment is thus conceived, so that you may exchange the conventional top cover of the Laing DDC pump with a new one, and thus G1/4” connections are available.

what this means is that you have to buy a G1/4 threaded barb fitting for that plexitop separately...

fittings like these:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=70&cat=34&page=1

make sure you're getting a g1/4 thread High Flow fitting and not the 9/16 threading that PerformancePC is selling, the 9/16 thread size High Flow fitting is only used on some maze4 gpu blocks
most new danger den High Flow barb fittings are G1/4 BSPP (british standard pipe parallel)

marauder16
09-10-2006, 06:05 AM
what this means is that you have to buy a G1/4 threaded barb fitting for that plexitop separately...

ok, consider me dumb, let's put it this way, if I want to use 1/2'' (7/16'') tubing with this top do I have to buy special fittings for it?
(sorry for bugging you guys and for asking like this but I simply don't understand what I have to do... :( )

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 06:10 AM
NO i will not consider you dumb we have all been there
yes you have to order barbs seperatly from the top the link that i provided in post #14 will take you to the correct barbs

marauder16
09-10-2006, 06:15 AM
NO i will not consider you dumb we have all been there
yes you have to order barbs seperatly from the top the link that i provided in post #14 will take you to the correct barbs
even though I ordered the MCP355 with 1/2'' fittings?
(here I go again :slap: )

EDIT: duh! just noticed they don't offer 1/2'' fittings with that pump, don't answer that question...

EDIT2: thnx for help guys, and again sorry for bugging you!:toast:

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 06:26 AM
they dont offer the correct 1/2 fittings at all either out of stock or just not listed
where ever you get the fittings from just make sure they are
G1/4 thread

marauder16
09-10-2006, 06:40 AM
they dont offer the correct 1/2 fittings at all either out of stock or just not listed
where ever you get the fittings from just make sure they are
G1/4 thread
I added two of these (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=203&products_id=3979), are they good, they do have G1/4 threads and are for 1/2'' tubing but they look like a perfect seal not like high flow fittings, does this matter? cause performance-pcs don't offer any other and I'll be ordering just from them (saving on shipping, they are on of the rare shops that ship to my country)

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 06:44 AM
there has been talk of a very very minor performance hit with those fittings (water turbulance)but those are the correct ones

marauder16
09-10-2006, 06:47 AM
there has been talk of a very very minor performance hit with those fittings (water turbulance)but those are the correct ones
it does say 'high flow' and not 'perfect seal' so I'm guessing it's a wrong picture...
thnx for help tomm! it's been much appreciated! :toast:

tommrussell
09-10-2006, 06:53 AM
ya i was confused by that as well but those are the correct threads the perfect seal ones are a little hard to get the 7/16 tubing on but with some practice they slip on almos as easy as the hi flow

have fun with your build and enjoy the temps and silence

marauder16
09-10-2006, 06:56 AM
ya i was confused by that as well but those are the correct threads the perfect seal ones are a little hard to get the 7/16 tubing on but with some practice they slip on almos as easy as the hi flow

have fun with your build and enjoy the temps and silence

oh I think this setup will be everything but silent, but I don't mind :D
thnx for help ;)

Batman!
09-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Well..a page of my thread when jacked..soo lol. Maruader you couldve started another thread..but no hard feelings.. ;)

Waiting patiently :) .

1.Ive heard that eddy's barbs pair well with mcw60...is this true? Will I have to use the stock O-ring or eddy's?

2. How bout the aquaxtreme mp-1? Ive had good experiance with their products, the block looks pretty sexy, and has metal barbs. My only concern is the very much increased restriction. Will my pump be able to handle that? Setup is in first post...

I think ive pretty much ruled out the maze 4..

marauder16
09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Well..a page of my thread when jacked..soo lol. Maruader you couldve started another thread..but no hard feelings..

Waiting patiently :) .

I think ive pretty much ruled out the maze 4..

I'm really sorry dude, won't happen again, I didn't even plan to come this far with questions, I had one question, asked it, and thing just started to roll. Again sorry and won't do this again :toast:

Batman!
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Its ok.
-----

bump :)

thunderstruck!
09-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Hmm, will these (http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=TAF&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQX-HIFLO-G38-12) barbs work with the alphacool top?

Reinvented
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Don't think so man. Top is G 1/4", and those are 3/8". Those barbs however will work on the thermochill rads as an alternative to plastic barbs that are normally shipped.

The Danger Den barbs which are G 1/4 will fit the top however.

Also: I vote for the MCW60's. Very nice blocks.

marauder16
09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I vote for MCW60, restriction is minimal, has plastic barbs though, has a very good retention system, it even ships with copper coolers ;) Maze4 does have metal barbs but...

Hmm, will these (http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=TAF&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQX-HIFLO-G38-12) barbs work with the alphacool top? no they won't...

Batman!
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Alrighty then...I thought long and hard and have decided to go with the MCW60.

Just one more bump for last question.

Will eddy ek's barbs fit with a watertight seal? And if so which o-rings should I use? Swifty's or eddys