PDA

View Full Version : Holy Memory Usage!

Movieman
09-09-2006, 05:28 AM
Set up WCG on my DX3600 this am and was checking how it was doing and saw this:

[XC] serlv
09-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Set up WCG on my DX3600 this am and was checking how it was doing and saw this:

Yeah, when doing Cancer WU's WCG can really dominate a machines resources.

DAK1640
09-09-2006, 06:41 AM
I would recommend 2GB of Ram for all users of WCG.

vaio
09-09-2006, 06:44 AM
It can get kinda greedy :D

mike047
09-09-2006, 06:54 AM
I would recommend 2GB of Ram for all users of WCG.

1 gig on an AMD DC is enough for everything EXCEPT cancer.

I have many of my boxes running a single 512 or 2x256 BUT I don't do the cancer project.

QMC doesn't[to my suprise] use much memory at all:)[only one box]

rob725
09-09-2006, 07:23 AM
I've configured my 1m boxes to do only the aids project. Are you saying the protein folding would be ok as well?

mike047
09-09-2006, 07:32 AM
I've configured my 1m boxes to do only the aids project. Are you saying the protein folding would be ok as well?

I believe so, the[WCG] ram requirements are the same,250.
I have ticked the aids and protein projects in my profile. I think that I have only seen a couple of the protein wu's listed in que.

Firechicken
09-09-2006, 08:03 AM
I am running along pretty well with 1.5Gb for ram. I pulled out one stick to give it a try and it was too much for the ol girl. With my raid and 1.5Gb I think I am pulling it off just nicely.

Those cancer WU's are monsters though.. eh? lol.

itznfb
09-09-2006, 09:14 AM
i have 1gb on my opteron and it crunchers the cancer WUs just fine :)

mike047
09-09-2006, 10:10 AM
i have 1gb on my opteron and it crunchers the cancer WUs just fine :)

single core??? My 144 is on QMC at the moment.

itznfb
09-09-2006, 10:46 AM
no no, its a dual core. opty 165

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-09-2006, 12:20 PM
you can also check the Beta box and it will still give good points and then you have 4 or more different things to crunch through WCG. I have the Beta on and it does about 1 in 10 betas. my :2cents:

mike047
09-09-2006, 01:03 PM
no no, its a dual core. opty 165

My dual core 3800's seem to labor when doing the cancer projects[they have a gig]. Most of my boxes are no frills, generic components and this probably afffects their ability to funtion.:(

The aids and protein projects are enough:D:D, I'll do what I can:D

itznfb
09-09-2006, 05:17 PM
well you do a hell of a lot and it's greatly appreciated.

Haltech
09-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I truely hope Vista changes the whole DC community. Youre probably wondering where im going with this.. The time has come for these people creating these projects to dabble into 64 bit windows. Im at the point that i need 4-8 gigs of memory and 32 bit is becoming tired. as Dave points out, his memory usage is quite high. Myself, i doing a lot of multitasking. Therefore i need the memory. Im hoping Vista kicks off a new generation of DC projects with 64bit in mind.

[XC]melymel
09-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I truely hope Vista changes the whole DC community. Youre probably wondering where im going with this.. The time has come for these people creating these projects to dabble into 64 bit windows. Im at the point that i need 4-8 gigs of memory and 32 bit is becoming tired. as Dave points out, his memory usage is quite high. Myself, i doing a lot of multitasking. Therefore i need the memory. Im hoping Vista kicks off a new generation of DC projects with 64bit in mind.

I hope you're right would certainly show some good increases for those with real power. :banana:

Trouble is people like the BS'ers will start crying because this will make there AXP's look slow and thy will winge to get the project staff to think that your average user only has an AXP so SSE2/3/4 and 64 bit are all useless.....

Firechicken
09-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah whine all they like, vistas minimum system requirements are enough to break old computers over it's knee, being DX and X2's are at a really decent price even now, amd's and intel already focusing on the 65nm chips, I think haltech is right, the demand is only going to get worse so I think M$ own baby...Vista will force 64 bit computing and alot of other needed things on it self. Xp is prob going to be the last great os for junkers like mine lol.

Movieman
09-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Everything I've seen on Vista tells me to stay the hell away from it and my DX3600 should handle all it's specs..
BUT if it will slow my system it will not go here.
At bootup I use 88.1mb ram. I have 2-1 gig DDR2-400's so I can handle the needs of just about everything I run into..

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Xp is prob going to be the last great os for junkers like mine lol.

He!! XP is a junker and I am not even looking forward to the V, I remember all the problems of all the other "M$ upgrades".
Besides that there is always Linux!! You tell the OS how much "bloat" you can handle and it will deal with it not like Old Bill. :slap:

Firechicken
09-09-2006, 09:22 PM
I used to be a subscriber to the msdn when I was really pushing hard to get into C++ full time. I downloaded Vista, when it was still known as Longhorn there wasnt alot there,the apps that were finished didnt work worth a crap, and recently trying out a newer version of vista on my neighbors computer was much better, I liked the new search functions on the desktop, and looking at other things it dose look like they are building with more memory support in mind, however being how it takes gobs of it to run the bloody os they have boxed thier selves into having to support more of it anyways, and on the 64bit front I really do think that it will become needed very quick because of this, but in the mean time I would stay away from the first few releases as I dont think it will do as good of a job with things we like to use it for like crunching, I think though,give it a while to mature and I have a feeling it will be able to start milking our hardware far past what xp will ever have been able to do.

Movieman your DX3600 is more than man enough to handle vista and you bet it will run like crap too, it's core is in a virgin state with all of the smoke and mirrors attached to it, but I do belive this will be a good thing in time as I really do think it will push them into really supporting more multi task/mem needs/and more balls from what you have now. when that happens though is another story I imagine we are going to have to be content with every last bit of butter we can churn out of the cream:D with xp.

Haltech
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Ive been running Longhorn and Vista for nearly 4 years. I can tell you, Vista uses less ram than XP does. They revised the kernal.. It was going from a .ASP system for bulletin boards, to PHP.. Its that dramatic. Whats even more :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:en is the disc is 2 sided... You can install 32 or 64, your license is good for either copy, when you want it. Alot of good things are going to happen with it, esp directx 10. People keep getting upset with the DRM thing... Its no biggie.. By SP1, they will have the new file system out... Its getting closer and closer to a *nix environment, including low % of fragmentation.

[cTx]Philosophy
09-09-2006, 11:28 PM
the wifes X@ 3800 with 1 gig of ch-5 way underclocked chggs along just fine @ 2.4, has been my main contributer for almost a yr now

Firechicken
09-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Ive been running Longhorn and Vista for nearly 4 years. I can tell you, Vista uses less ram than XP does. They revised the kernal.. It was going from a .ASP system for bulletin boards, to PHP.. Its that dramatic. Whats even more :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:en is the disc is 2 sided... You can install 32 or 64, your license is good for either copy, when you want it. Alot of good things are going to happen with it, esp directx 10. People keep getting upset with the DRM thing... Its no biggie.. By SP1, they will have the new file system out... Its getting closer and closer to a *nix environment, including low % of fragmentation.

I agree, after it gets a chance to be worked real well I think we aint seen nothin yet. I would like to give the latest version a try for my self on my own machine as there were alot of features I really missed after coming back home to my xp rig.

eddy
09-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for this thread.

I just checked and saw my mem usage for WCG is strange. I only run the cancer wu's. Dual core cpu, so two at once. One uses 254,800k. The other uses 47,900k. Why the big difference? I thought it would be the same for both.

I am using 2 gigs of ram and don't have problems with it.

Magnj
09-10-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm running 1 gig for my 3500+ and I notice no side effects.

brot
09-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I have no problem with ram here ;)

ok, i have to admit that i use linux, with several features on like swap prefetching (so even if you need virtual memory, you dont notice...)

I gave vista a try, and it really looks like ms did improove memory management and so on. but then again there were some horrible bugs.

linux ftw ;)

Firechicken
09-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for this thread.

I just checked and saw my mem usage for WCG is strange. I only run the cancer wu's. Dual core cpu, so two at once. One uses 254,800k. The other uses 47,900k. Why the big difference? I thought it would be the same for both.

I am using 2 gigs of ram and don't have problems with it.

Did you have a look at the WU's each were running? when cancer wu's run out for a while you get a different wu like aids or protine if you checked any boxes you will be given one of those if available. I have watched the cancer WU's though and do find sometimes some WU's are not using alot of VM and PHY mem, and others Take out a good 750MB & and & 750MB from VM and PHY mem.

brot
09-10-2006, 08:30 AM
366 MB used in a complete running linux system while crunching a cancer WU. hdc needs something between 30 and 60 Mb ram.

Something has do be wrong with the windows application if you ask me.