PDA

View Full Version : Prometia temp on the high side? Or is this alright?

donny_paycheck
04-11-2003, 05:39 PM
I just put the following together in bare bones only, just to POST into BIOS and check temps: Epox 8RGA Barton 2500+ AQUCB 0306 1024mb Corsair XMS3500The other hardware will come later.

I have been getting poor temperatures. I've done nothing but get into BIOS and watch CPU on-die temps so far, but they seem too high.

The CPU's default vCore is 1.65. At this voltage its diode temperature is about 9C. The evaporator temperature is -44C. So I'm assuming that there is a problem because it should be quite a bit colder, even using the diode to measure temps.

I did not use the shim when I mounted the cooling head. Even though I cut it and it fit alright, I decided against using it because I was worried it would prevent good contact with the core. When I checked the cooling head for good contact by pressing it on, then pulling it off and looking for the core impression in the thermal compound, it seemed to be uniform.

When I bolted the cooling head on for good I did not add washers to the bolts.

Soon I am going to pull the cooling head off and make another run at mounting it unless I hear differently. I was considering adding washers next time so that clamping pressure is higher, but only after I make sure it's not on :banana::banana::banana::banana:eyed. Do you guys have any tips for getting the head nice and flat on the small, fragile Barton core? Also, if you could tell me how low temps I could expect I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Hardass
04-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I used all washers supplied. I have evap temp of -30 and cpu temp of -12 Running KD7 and 2100@ 2560.

donny_paycheck
04-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Well, it looks like I'm adding the washers! Thanks.

TheDude
04-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Great to see you posting again Donny!:D

I'm in the process of putting my Abit NF7-S v2.0 in the prommie, replacing the v1.1 that died. I was getting temps similar to Hardass and used the washers.

Hardass that's a nice OC on that 2100:D

donny_paycheck
04-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Great to see you posting again Donny!:D Thanks, and after I get this thing working I will have room to set up my folding boxes again so I should be back onboard F@H team 3365!

[EDIT]

I just pulled the head off and attached it again. I am using all the washers (they already came on the bolts). The BIOS temp is still exactly 9C and the evap temp is still -43C.

When I pulled the evap off it had a perfect imprint on it where the CPU core had been. I wonder if the motherboard is reporting the temp accurately or not?

I'll let it idle all night like this and check it in the morning. If it's still this high I'll probably try reseating the evap one more time. I didn't see any additional washers in the mounting kit, but a whole stack already came on the bolts themselves. I'm assuming that's all I got, and should normally be enough.

[EDIT 2]

Since the temperatures did not change at all I was curious about the motherboard reporting them incorrectly.

I worked the vCore up from 1.65v to 1.9v in 0.5v increments, letting it idle for 10 minutes at each step. The evaporator temperature is now -37C and the core temp is 14C.

My thinking was that if I had a spotty contact that temperature would rise rapidly with voltage increase. But this has been pretty much proportional and predictable.

I will probably still pull it off and reattach it again tomorrow but since that process changed absolutely nothing once before I'm not hopeful. I'm beginning to think that it's a motherboard inaccuracy, and I kind of hope it is. The system temp is 35C and the air in here is only 23C (running an open case too) so there's 12C of inaccuracy already. Perhaps the CPU sensor is doing something similar?

Hardass
04-12-2003, 12:49 AM
I am sorry bro, I never thought about your temps being at default, and at idle! Lets see what you get when your under load. Also those epox mobo do not give correct cpu temps. especially in the prom. If your imprint looks fine crank her up, and just watch evap temp since cpu temp is not correct!

Hardass. :)

Hardass
04-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by TheDude

Hardass that's a nice OC on that 2100:D

Thanks Bro! Got it from our friends at xtw.:D

donny_paycheck
04-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
I am sorry bro, I never thought about your temps being at default, and at idle! Lets see what you get when your under load. Also those epox mobo do not give correct cpu temps. especially in the prom. If your imprint looks fine crank her up, and just watch evap temp since cpu temp is not correct!

Hardass. :) Sounds good. This is what I wanted to hear! I will finish this thing up and see what my AQUCB can do.

Thanks for the help!

Hardass
04-12-2003, 08:11 AM
You are welcome, it will be good to have you back folding with us!:)

bowman1964
04-16-2003, 05:42 PM
sorry guys i found this thread.
i can help you on the temp problem.the 8rda pulls the temp from the thermistor diode in the socket which isnt close to the cpu.
i had trouble with the temp reading also.to get a much closer reading i put a piece of neopreme in the socket but...........this is the differance.i am sure you used a piece for insulation like everyone but.on the 8rda you must cut a 1/4" square hole over the thermister diode.it is almost center of the socket.now this leaves you with no insulation between the diode and the cpu.now fill the hole with dieletcic grease and reinstall.
i asure you the temp reading will drop almost 10c.the dieletric grease actually helps transfer the back of the cpu temp to the diode.
it worked for me.and now it is a standard thing i do on all my boards unless it reads the on die diode.

hope it helps you:D

donny_paycheck
04-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Actually I didn't fill the socket with anything. I put dielectric silicone in the socket pin holes but the center of the socket is empty. I do have neoprene here I could use but with the hermetic cell I didn't think it was necessary.

bowman1964
04-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by donny_paycheck
Actually I didn't fill the socket with anything. I put dielectric silicone in the socket pin holes but the center of the socket is empty. I do have neoprene here I could use but with the hermetic cell I didn't think it was necessary.
let me try to explain.
the diode in a 8rda isnt like most.it measures radiated heat from the back side of the cpu.now on a vapo unit the cpu may be -20c but because of the air space between the diode and cpu it measures more temp from the board itself.so the only reading you are getting is the cold that is transmitted though the cpu pins and to the socket then to the board.
buy using insulation with a hole the dielectic grease helps transfer the temp from the cpu to the diode .a much shorter path.and in turn you get a closed reading.it still will be off,but it will be much closer.
i know my cooler is a little colder than the prometia,but i still had high reading on my board.i came up with this little trick and it helpped me 10c in temp reading.
so i hope it helps

donny_paycheck
04-17-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by bowman1964
let me try to explain...
Ah, now I get it. At first I had thought the board was using core diode temps and I was worried. This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the help!

C0oL
05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by bowman1964
let me try to explain.
the diode in a 8rda isnt like most.it measures radiated heat from the back side of the cpu.now on a vapo unit the cpu may be -20c but because of the air space between the diode and cpu it measures more temp from the board itself.so the only reading you are getting is the cold that is transmitted though the cpu pins and to the socket then to the board.
buy using insulation with a hole the dielectic grease helps transfer the temp from the cpu to the diode .a much shorter path.and in turn you get a closed reading.it still will be off,but it will be much closer.
i know my cooler is a little colder than the prometia,but i still had high reading on my board.i came up with this little trick and it helpped me 10c in temp reading.
so i hope it helps

In relation to your suggestion, bowman and the current situation with the 8RDA's sensor, would it not be possible to bridge this "space" between the sensor and the CPU with a piece of material? Something that's not electrically conductive, but can conduct heat?
I understand that this would take some precise measuring, but would it not be better in the end?

I am sure someone can come up with SOME idea here :D

Deano

NockE
05-12-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm dealing with the same problem
I only bought a vapo Standard Edition to test it

What about placing a thermal sensor between coolingunit and cpu?