PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling idea... works, or too far out?

Grayscale
09-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Here's my idea... I'm mounting my pump (Iwaki MD-20RLZ) in 5.25 bays 2 and 3, and my reservoir in the 5.25 bay 1. The pump will pull water from the res right above it, pump it directly out the top of the case, down the middle of the top, to the radiator in the back (BIX III) then all the way back down the middle of the case, back in the top, down the backside to the quad-sli blocks, back up the side and into the radiator.

I'm using 1/2" ID tygon and the blocks are G1/8 threaded (there's a set of fittings for a single card's block for a total of 2 sets, not 4).

Basically, I'm wondering with the tubing, radiator, blocks, and layout specified, would this pump be able to handle it? It's a mid-tower ATX case. I was thinking because it's got a pretty good journey and a big radiator, AND high pressure blocks, it might not be able to keep up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you think this will work, or should I ditch the whole tubes out the top method, move the pump to the bottom of the case, and have the tubes go directly in and out of the case for the radiator?

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6473/untitled1js4.gif

Yea so I suck at drawing. :stick:

One other question on the side, about this pump. I'm planning on making an AC relay for it and mounting in the top expansion slot... does anyone know if it has bare leads or would I have to cut the power cord?

exhausted mule
09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
yup,

that would work quite well actually. they recomend you position the pump higher in the case.

Grayscale
09-07-2006, 12:34 AM
yup,

that would work quite well actually. they recomend you position the pump higher in the case.

orly... well I figured this would do a few things... 1) Reservoir is at the top of the case, reservoir is very close to the pump (couple of inches) which gives it optimal draw. Also, I could manipulate a 5.25 HD mount with rubber fittings to quiet the pump. In the 2/3 bays it would stay out of the way of the front intake fans since these things run f#@&% hot. I guess that's another benefit.

I just figured the long journey out of the case, back into the case, and down the side then through those awful european g1/8 fittings would kill my pressure.

I know this pump is a beast but everything has it's limits... how bad is this much extra tubing for pressure?

ewsforos
09-07-2006, 01:36 AM
My onl concern is the 5.25 reservoir... These are too shallow, and with such a monster pump I suspect that it will just create so much turbulence if its not 100% full that it will start sucking air in the loop... Think of a sound of a guy who's been 4 days in the desert and is given a can of ice-cold coke. Know the sound that the straw does when its about empty?

Pretty sure this is what you'll experience :p:

exhausted mule
09-07-2006, 02:49 AM
actually...

i'd be more worried about the 1/8 fittings.

any way around those? your using 1/2 afterall no?

Grayscale
09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
My onl concern is the 5.25 reservoir... These are too shallow, and with such a monster pump I suspect that it will just create so much turbulence if its not 100% full that it will start sucking air in the loop... Think of a sound of a guy who's been 4 days in the desert and is given a can of ice-cold coke. Know the sound that the straw does when its about empty?

Pretty sure this is what you'll experience :p:

Hmm... I can understand what you're saying, however...

Seeing as water can't be compressed, if the system is bled properly, how exactly would the pump suck water faster than it's pushing it back into the reservoir? :stick:

edit: about the turbulence - I'm using a XPSC reservoir, the outlet is protected, as long as the water level is above the top of the outlet cover, there should be no chance of sucking air as the displacement will push the level up to the top of the divider. Furthermore, regardless of how fast water is being sucked out, it will be forced under the divider, almost guranting that no air will get under. The divider itself will reduce turbulence.

You can see what I'm talking about here...

http://www.xs-pc.co.uk/photo/Bayres/1.jpg

actually...

i'd be more worried about the 1/8 fittings.

any way around those? your using 1/2 afterall no?

G1/8 is what Aqua Computer uses on their 7950GX2 blocks... no way around those really. I'm using G1/8-G1/8 elbow to get off the block > G1/8 to G1/4 hi-pressure converter > DD 1/2" ID G1/4 threaded barb. This is why I was sure to invest in this pump, as it's the most powerful past the 30 models which would probably made the fitting explode or something.

I'm not really sure though... crap, 1/2" to 1/8" in a half-inch span? I thought that was a bit ridiculous but we'll see. Damn you and your fittings, Germany.

clokker
09-07-2006, 03:29 AM
... they recomend you position the pump higher in the case.
Who recommends that?
I've always understood that the pump is optimally placed as the lowest point in the loop and the rez as the highest.

Grayscale
09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Who recommends that?
I've always understood that the pump is optimally placed as the lowest point in the loop and the rez as the highest.

Humm... can anyone confirm this either way?

I've heard it's best practice to put the pump close to the reservoir, and I know the reservoir should be at the highest point, so I can only assume the original statement was correct, but confirmation either way would be nice.

If anyone could also answer my question about AC pumps under the picture I'd appreciately it greatly

septim
09-07-2006, 08:34 PM
considering said pump would it fit there?

Marci
09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
I've heard it's best practice to put the pump close to the reservoir, and I know the reservoir should be at the highest point, so I can only assume the original statement was correct, but confirmation either way would be nice.

Pump should be directly after reservoir. Pumps do not suck. They must be gravity fed, and as such should be lower than the reservoir. That is the only stipulation.

Grayscale
09-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Pump should be directly after reservoir. Pumps do not suck. They must be gravity fed, and as such should be lower than the reservoir. That is the only stipulation.

That kinda goes without saying. I was referring to the length of tubing between the reservoir and the pump.

considering said pump would it fit there?

Well that would certainly change a lot... anyone know the dimensions?

I know it's big but I recall seeing it mounted in the drive bays.

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-08-2006, 07:08 AM
MD20RLZ is absolutely GINORMOUS. I have a WMD20RLZT (a bit longer than the MD, but smaller diameter body) and to place it in drive bays would take up at least 3-4 bays plus no room for the powersupply in its proper spot, and i've got a full tower case.

nikhsub1
09-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Grayscale, it won't work like you have it pictured in your first post, trust me. The pump is huge, the OUTLET barb won't have enough clearance and it will be a hell of a bend from the res to the inlet barb. You would be best off placing the pump on the floor of the case if you can, I would consider placing the pump in a heads up vertical position if you can.

septim
09-08-2006, 08:57 AM
definitely far out, back to the drawing board, a little modification and you're still good...

Grayscale
09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Alrighty, thanks for the feedback!

My only concern with putting it on the bottom of the case is that all the air coming in from the front will blow over it and put my case temps through the roof. Do you think this is likely?

If so, wouldn't it be more plausible to mount the pump outside the case?

Basically, I'm trying to keep this entire thing structurally sound. I know it's huge and heavy, but as long as everything is secure and not falling apart, and there isn't a slop of cables and tubes sticking out all over the place then I'm happy. The only challenge is integrating Quad-SLI, vapochill and watercooling into a mid-tower.

Perhaps I could mount it on top of the case? I wasn't aware that this pump was so big, but that's why I'm trying to get my research done before the parts arrive. Maybe I could move the radbox+radiator to the top fan and mount the pump on the back of the case. I guess I'll just have to just settle on a general idea then tweak it once I have everything to look at.

nikhsub1
09-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Me thinks you need to rethink this whole project... a bigger case like the UFO can easily fit phase and water, no issue. Perhaps get the DDC Ultra and forget the Iwaki - Sell it if you already own it. Mid tower with phase and water IMO will be almost if not impossible.

Grayscale
09-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Some of the parts are being salvaged from my previous computer, including the case... I have a feeling you're right about the size.

I'll see if I can manage it, but if I can't then I'll just sell my old case and go for a full tower. I'd like to keep the Iwaki because I know it will keep up with whatever I may add in the future. :)

nikhsub1
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Some of the parts are being salvaged from my previous computer, including the case... I have a feeling you're right about the size.

I'll see if I can manage it, but if I can't then I'll just sell my old case and go for a full tower. I'd like to keep the Iwaki because I know it will keep up with whatever I may add in the future. :)
The DDC Ultra is just as powerful and 1/6th the size and dumps less heat...