09-06-2006, 03:38 PM
My loop is going to have:
1x Laing DDC-pump Ultra
1X PA 120.3 Rad
1X DD TDX CPU block
1X Typhoon 5.25 Dualbay Res
1/2 ID Tygon 3603 tubing
and on the rad I will have 3 x 120mmx38mm Delta's pulling

I was looking for a good additive that has something to stop algea growth and is Blue UV reactive. Any sugguestions?

smids
09-06-2006, 03:40 PM
EDIT - it's not UV blue (Pentosin G11) - it's just blue...

Also - 3 delta's is a total waste. Even on a fan controller, the noise vs performance gain is not worth it. People use Yate Loons on 7V and still get good cooling... Thermochill PA's do not need big fans. They are optimised for fans <100cfm...

firengine16
09-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I talked to a guy at petra's and he said that the g11 was not that UV reactive but thanks for throwing that out there.

as for the fans I will have them turned down some. My brother has 2 on a MCR220 and they are not as loud as my current CPU cooler turned above 2500.:) (headphones for gaming kills the noise)

thunderstruck!
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
That's a huge rad to cool just the CPU. If you haven't bought these already, I suggest ditching the res and tdx. Go for a Storm/T-line. It will come out to the same price when you consider how much a res is versus $0.50 for a T-line. Requires less tubing too, and the Storm outperforms the TDX. Also, having a bigger rad won't give you better performance than a PA160 or 120.2 unless you give it a load it was designed for. I could be wrong though. Either way, it's future-proof.

SiGfever
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes dump the TDX for a Storm or MP-05 SP LE and replace those fans for (3) Yate Loons in a "pull" configuration. Also get a Swiftech Micro-Res or use a t-line.

Oh, and forget about the dye and just use...
99.? % distilled water
1 oz. of antifreeze
4-5 drops of non-alcohol Iodine

tommrussell
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
ive got the big delats 150 cfm turned down all the way to 1200 rpm there is only a about a 1-2 degree diff with them turned all the way up (sounds like a airplane straifing)

the loop contains
pa 120.2
mp 05 sp le
2 maze 4
1510 pump@ 21v

oshox
09-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Well, in response to your actual question, I'd recommend Swiftech HydrX. The best additives from what I've read are HydrX, Zerex, and Red Line Water Whetter. The Red Line stuff has caused serious problems in some loops and Zerex isn't UV reactive (and it's getting harder to find). So that makes the choice pretty simple, doesn't it?

Xavior
09-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Never knew HydrX was blue..:banana:

oshox
09-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. HydrX is UV green. You could probably mix a dye-free coolant like Zerex with a UV dye and it'd come out looking OK. Zerex is mixed at 5% so I don't think the green color is too strong.

firengine16
09-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I am going to go with a lean Zerex mix + blue uv dye made for coolant. As for the water block can someone point me to a review of the 2 that was actually compared in a pc and not a bench??

I know the pump I now have (Laing DDC-ultra with acrylic top) is strong but if I did go with a Storm would my loop still handle a GPU block (that I am getting later) just as fine or would the drop in flow hurt me compared to a TDX?

As for the fans I guess I should have said this before I already had them from something else so I am going to use them and if my little Cooler Master Aerogate 3 cant tune them to good level then I will get some other ones.

smids
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Fair enough about the fans. The pump will easily handle a Storm and GPU block. The head height of that pump in that config is 6.1m - almost double its nearest rivals i.e. Laing D5 (MCP655), AqX 50z.

SiGfever
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I am going to go with a lean Zerex mix + blue uv dye made for coolant. As for the water block can someone point me to a review of the 2 that was actually compared in a pc and not a bench??

I know the pump I now have (Laing DDC-ultra with acrylic top) is strong but if I did go with a Storm would my loop still handle a GPU block (that I am getting later) just as fine or would the drop in flow hurt me compared to a TDX?

As for the fans I guess I should have said this before I already had them from something else so I am going to use them and if my little Cooler Master Aerogate 3 cant tune them to good level then I will get some other ones.
If blue is what you are after then I would go with Pentosin G11 (blue) and not Zerex.

oshox
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
The DDC+ modded with the Alphacool Top, the Radiical Top, or even with the Robotech mod will be able to handle the Storm and a GPU block, while still giving you a really good flow rate. If you're going to be having a lot of tubing or verticle travel, stick with a low-restriction GPU block like the MCW60 or the Maze4.
As far as your side-by-side comparison goes, check here: http://www.sgoverclockers.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=61&page=12
As you can see, the TDX is getting 2C higher temps while running at lower clock speeds.

firengine16
09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
grrrr I forgot about that Pentosin G11 its auto coolant to so it should do better cause its all ready blue and the blue uv dye I am going to use is for coolant in cars anyway. I even called petra's yesterday about it but the guy didnt want to say how it would act with UV dye but it should be fine since one is cars coolant and the other is a additive for coolant. Thanks SiGfever

Thanks for the link oshox, I think I got the Alphacool top here is a link to
My Pump (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4509&zenid=5f35c1bd60ff91ac53f3e09fe4a30673)

SiGfever
09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
grrrr I forgot about that Pentosin G11 its auto coolant to so it should do better cause its all ready blue and the blue uv dye I am going to use is for coolant in cars anyway. I even called petra's yesterday about it but the guy didnt want to say how it would act with UV dye but it should be fine since one is cars coolant and the other is a additive for coolant. Thanks SiGfever

Thanks for the link oshox, I think I got the Alphacool top here is a link to
My Pump (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4509&zenid=5f35c1bd60ff91ac53f3e09fe4a30673)
Just remember that the more additives that you put into your loop the more impact it will have on cooling performance. All you need is a very small amount in a non-mixed (no aluminum + copper) loop.

bandit788
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
as for the fans I will have them turned down some. My brother has 2 on a MCR220 and they are not as loud as my current CPU cooler turned above 2500.:) (headphones for gaming kills the noise)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Why would anyone ever desire another fan, ever!!!!!!!!!! I love you fan!

NickS
09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I use HydrX but I might switch to Pentosin G11