PDA

View Full Version : -85c or -121f cold enough ?

bowman1964
04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
well i thought you guys would like to see a new toy i just got my hands on.(well it will be shipped in a few days anyway)
i found this in a hospital for sale.so i scooped it up.i am going to tear it down for parts and put inside of my new pc tower.i will getting close to them LN2 guys then....LOL
:D
freezer (http://www.so-low.com/chu8513.htm)

isp
04-11-2003, 05:37 AM
You're insane :p

Good luck and have fun bowman :thumbsup:

bowman1964
04-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by isp
You're insane :p

Good luck and have fun bowman :thumbsup:

Well i am the right place i hope......Xtremesystems is a home for a few of the insane.got to love this place :D

Hobocrow
04-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by bowman1964
well i thought you guys would like to see a new toy i just got my hands on.(well it will be shipped in a few days anyway)
i found this in a hospital for sale.so i scooped it up.i am going to tear it down for parts and put inside of my new pc tower.i will getting close to them LN2 guys then....LOL

Whoa! That's really going to be something....:slobber: :)

NyCUndaGrounD
04-11-2003, 12:22 PM
That looks heavy. but u will do anything for extreme temps.

Holst
04-11-2003, 04:16 PM
LOL bowman, thats just plain nuts..

I cant wait to see it.

Do you mind saying how much you payed?
Not that anything like that would be avalbale in the UK, the NHS never sell stuff off they just use it for 60 years.

isp
04-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Well i am the right place i hope......Xtremesystems is a home for a few of the insane.got to love this place :D

I support your sickness and what to see the results ;)

I'm just not as insane....yet :p

bowman1964
04-12-2003, 03:40 AM
nope i dont mind telling the price i paid.$61.00 plus about $150 frieght.so i will have a little over $210 in her.
the unit is large but i am planning on pulling the bottom unit out so its not that big.the only reason why i got it was for the compressors which are a specail type i havent been able to locate easy.this unit is a very very exspensive baby new.
i wasnt going to get it ,but i know i will never see this again so cheap.this is the lowest temp unit avalible to buy in a unit like this

Jeff
04-12-2003, 04:31 AM
Man... I can't wait to see what becomes of this project. You are one sick individual Bowman!!! :nod:

koensa
04-12-2003, 08:58 AM
waht job do you do in your life?
i mean does it got anything to do with freezers and such?
or how did you get a that knowledge?

TheDude
04-12-2003, 09:00 AM
awww....the link won't work! You big tease! Can you fix it? I wanna see! :rolleyes:

bowman1964
04-12-2003, 09:21 AM
site must be down,i will see if i can get a pic

full loaded
04-12-2003, 11:43 AM
damn, when its arrive can you post some pics of the compressor himself :D

bowman1964
04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by koensa
waht job do you do in your life?
i mean does it got anything to do with freezers and such?
or how did you get a that knowledge?

well i havent been to school for it.i started building custom cars at the age of 18 and i learned ac in the process.i am now a parts manager of a dealership where i also sell ac parts,but the refrigeration is just a hobby of mine.:D
as i used to race for money and honor,now with kidds i have to find other ways to keep my interest inside of a home.as i like being the fastest at all i do.wasnt but a couple years ago i was building outboard engines for my bass boat,it will run close to 80mph.so i do like speed.:)

i will post a pic or two when it gets to me

Karatekid
04-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Bowman,

What kind'a refrigerant are we talking here? Definately not your common R12/22/134/404 as far as I can tell, considering them temps :)
Must be some quite exotic piece of hardware, an again, you being the man to pick it up for a price like that. I'd just wish I'd have such luck some day :)

Edit: Me thinks this unit might very well render your cascade endevours pointless, right?

bowman1964
04-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Karatekid
Bowman,

What kind'a refrigerant are we talking here? Definately not your common R12/22/134/404 as far as I can tell, considering them temps :)
Must be some quite exotic piece of hardware, an again, you being the man to pick it up for a price like that. I'd just wish I'd have such luck some day :)

Edit: Me thinks this unit might very well render your cascade endevours pointless, right?

well it uses r503 on the low side and r22 on the high side.it is a full blown cascade system,just like i was building but it is already together and running.this is one high end refrigeration box.it retails for close to $10,000 new.uses to store bio specimens.really a cool unit.looks like a big refrigerator
i see the link is working again.

Xenogias
04-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Have you recieved it yet Bowman?

If so, have you taken it apart yet and got any pics of the cascade setup?

bowman1964
04-21-2003, 03:15 PM
nope yellow truck lines has it will be thursday before it arives.

Charles Wirth
04-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Bowman want to take a vacation in Vegas to help setup my helium compressor? NFC what most of the valves do except the bypass for purging the evap line.

bowman1964
04-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by FUGGER
Bowman want to take a vacation in Vegas to help setup my helium compressor? NFC what most of the valves do except the bypass for purging the evap line.

funny you should say that....i will be in las vegas in 5 weeks on a busness convention at the mgm grand,but i will be lucky to be able to see my room much less anything else.LOL:D
would be neat to see though.

WxChaser
04-21-2003, 06:14 PM
You never cease to amaze me, man! Good luck with the latest project.

Does this mean your custom built system is on the back burner for a while (your 2nd one)? Thanks.

I was hoping you'd build them commercially, if so, line me up. Your stuff is total quality the way you build & test, IMHO.

TheDude
04-22-2003, 01:48 AM
WxChaser,

Did you know his old rig is in the For Sale section? Jump on it dude...wish I could! I been staying awake at night trying to think of a way to swing it.

;)

isp
04-22-2003, 02:50 AM
I know I can't believe nobody has taken it yet... maybe they are intimidated by it :confused:

TheDude
04-22-2003, 05:39 AM
I couldn't resist it any longer! It's mine...all mine!
Muuuhahaha!:D

WxChaser
04-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I knew he had the 1st rig he built up for sale. I'm holding out for the new "improved" version! I think he builds them so much more solidly and with better engineering and foresight than the Prommies...so that's why if he ever goes the commercial route I'll sign up as the 1st customer. Lot of work & time goes into what bowman does with these.

TheDude
04-23-2003, 08:07 AM
WxChaser,

I don't think we will see Bowman go commercial. He would never make a profit with the time he puts into his systems. It's more a labor of love and I feel lucky to be able to own something that he built. :D

WxChaser
04-23-2003, 06:04 PM
You are!

But if he decides to sell this next effort, I want to be 1st in line, lol.

bowman1964
04-24-2003, 08:10 AM
ha ha you guys.........

WxCHaser actually dude is getting my second hand made one.the first is setting in my room just looking at me.

man would be nice to have the time to make these things.i really enjoy making them.
but time is tough to come by anymore.
i did get the freezer today on the frieght truck,and it is a monster
i will try and post some pics soon.

and guys:: i am just a guy who likes to tinker with hobbies to help me forget the pains in life.thanks for the kind words though.

WxChaser
04-24-2003, 06:20 PM
You bet - we live vicariously through your exploits in phase change cooling and otherwise.

Let me know if someday you get bored and feel like making a custom model for me!

I'm just not sold on buying a prommie, especially the high dollar one for the Mach II! They need more competition.

bowman1964
04-25-2003, 05:35 AM
well i hoped to have something more to report on my new fridge by now,but i did get a pic of the dual compressors.this thing is huge.

small teaserhttp://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/COMPRESSORSCASCADE.jpg

TheDude
04-25-2003, 06:33 AM
WOW...-50c to -85c....OMG!

So it's not 3phase power then? Good:D

bowman1964
04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
WOW...-50c to -85c....OMG!

So it's not 3phase power then? Good:D

yep i got lucky 115volt,but the low side compressor may have to be replaced(it isnt working yet) but i will proberly not play much with it untill next week.

Xenogias
04-25-2003, 04:03 PM
That thing looks fierce bowman. I ususually dont get excited about other people's hardware but...i'm really excited. hehe. Take care.

bowman1964
04-26-2003, 12:59 PM
well i have pics of the tear down on this unit.i will post them if you guys want to keep up with my progress

TheDude
04-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Gee....I dunno......

POST THEM! OF COURSE WE DO! LOL:D

bowman1964
04-26-2003, 01:14 PM
ok say no more.

well guys i have gotten cut ,bruised,and worn out.fighting to take apart this giant freezer.it sure wont easy,but here are some pics.

http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/teardown1.jpg
this is right after i seperated the top and bottom
http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/teardown2.jpg
this where i had to remove the coaxial cond/evap from the bottom
http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/teardown3.jpg
here is the coaxial unit after i removed it as a assembly.still sealed in foam
http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/teardown4.jpg
and this is the condersor assm.
http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/teardown5.jpg
and this is the wiring....hurts me to even think about rewiring this this thing

TheDude
04-26-2003, 01:20 PM
First time I think I've ever been speechless!:eek:

bowman1964
04-26-2003, 01:26 PM
First time I think I've ever been speechless!:eek:

come on POP ......i posted so you could see.LOL :D

TheDude
04-26-2003, 01:28 PM
GRRRRR.....Let me get my bifocals.....sonny:D

WxChaser
04-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Just seeing some red X's here, bowman (& I really wanted to see this beast all torn down too)!

nyTroX
04-28-2003, 05:52 PM
You didn't wreck the top portion, did you? If you just gutted the compressors and condensers from it, and installed another condensing unit to the evaporator, you could probably get some decent cash for it. Try to sell it to some mom n pop grocery or something.

bowman1964
04-29-2003, 02:41 AM
well the unit top part isnt anygood for anything other than storage.i gave it away to a coworker.

WxChaser
04-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Hot Damn! Finally got to see your tear down pics, this thing is going to be a beast when built out.

Wow...I'm speechless too.

Kunaak
04-29-2003, 09:53 PM
holy jesus, Bowman, I always say your the most insane cooling guy around, you just ten folded my view of that...

-110?

thats like dry ice cooling...

:)

freeloader
05-10-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm feverishly looking forward to seeing this thing run. God damn, that's an impressive score! $200 or so for a cascade phase change system. You rock Bowman!

TheDude
05-11-2003, 04:43 AM
LOL.....when he's done, ask him how much he has in it....don't forget to calculate labor too! :D

Frankie
05-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Heh, this is the most insane project that I have seen on any overclocking forum :D

How much does that thing weigh ? Is it noisy, I mean I saw those Merlin like propellers ?

Please post more pics about the progress!

bowman1964
05-12-2003, 05:13 PM
well been busy latley,but you guys dont really want to know what this puppy is going to cost me do you?
i got the bill in today for the frieght alone....anyone want to guess.........$450.that unit weighed 755lbs before i cut the bottom off..so i now have a total over $525 right now.
the cascade lower unit weight is proberly right now around 200lbs.
she will be heavy.
just at the moment i am designing a new way to introduce refrigerant into a evap block.never done never seen.new idea.
with hopes of alowing precise adjuctments of freon to the evap.with the slow turn of a screwdriver.

Method Man
05-12-2003, 05:16 PM
WOW! Crazy project Bowman...good luck and lets see those crazy temps when your done with it :banana:

TerroH8er
05-14-2003, 03:25 PM
wow... :slobber: what is it? :D :D

you are truely amazing bowman :banana:

I can't wait to see where this project goes.. *speechless*

zacharyaus
05-14-2003, 08:38 PM
i wanna be like you when i grow up bowman :)

TheDude
05-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by zacharyaus
i wanna be like you when i grow up bowman :)

You will be one day....when you are very, very old and cranky.:D

Frankie
05-15-2003, 01:53 AM
One dude in Finnish hardware site (www.muropaketti.com) bought 2 nice heavy compressors from quite chilling place....namely from the morgue... County morgue were replacing old hardware to new Danfoss equiment

More that 2000w of chilling power used to be ensuring that stiffs stay stiff

TheDude
05-15-2003, 02:07 AM
I hope Bowman doesn't see that or he will be hanging out at the County morgue :D

bowman1964
05-15-2003, 02:50 AM
I hope Bowman doesn't see that or he will be hanging out at the County morgue :D

damm thats a idea.......could maybe get me a good deal on my casket for myself since....i am very, very old and cranky..LOL

:D yea yea....thats ok might be old and cranky POPs but at least I will be COOL....:D

and it seams you are not the only one with groupies......:stick:

you guys crack me up

TheDude
05-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Just wanted to see how long before I got busted :D

NockE
05-15-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm taking my first steps in Vapor-phase cooling and when I see this I have a lot to learn and its starting to itch ....

Bowman, complements to your wife who lets you do this
My girl has agreed with a vapo, but when I would come home with such a compressor, I don't know the consequences

Keep up the nice work

bowman1964
05-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by NockE
I'm taking my first steps in Vapor-phase cooling and when I see this I have a lot to learn and its starting to itch ....

My girl has agreed with a vapo, but when I would come home with such a compressor, I don't know the consequences

Keep up the nice work

Well to be honest.....i didnt start making the phase change units untill i finally got rid of her, or she got rid of me.all i can say is....i keep everything plus my kidds.
i do the computer thing to keep me sane........not sure it is working sometimes...:D

Frankie
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM

You lucky bastards! When I mentioned the possibility of aquiring Prometeia to my wife, she just laughed :confused: :D

WHAT!! Where is the support for one´s hobbies and compassion ! Damn, I feel like 12 yr boy when he realizes that strange black hair starts to grow in he´s groins and feels embarrassed about it! Cant tell NO ONE:D

TheDude
05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
My wife has never said a word about the thousands I have spent on computers...or motocycles...or guns.....

NockE
05-16-2003, 03:10 AM
I "only" bought a stand-alone unit SE of the vapochill system
My girl said a prommy was a little too much $$ / €€
She's trying to temper it a bit
and hell, it works :confused:

for the rest, i can't complain. I think I'm going to keep her :D

anyway:
This gonna be something nice, when Bowman finishes it

TheDude
05-16-2003, 04:05 AM
This gonna be something nice, when Bowman finishes it

I'm getting ready to fire up his old one. The man is a craftsman of the 1st order. :toast:

bowman1964
05-17-2003, 05:51 AM
I'm getting ready to fire up his old one. The man is a craftsman of the 1st order. :toast:

you are too nice POP's.....:D

and guys i am sorry i havent been working alot on my new project.damm tornado that hit a week ago has killed all my time.fighting with insurance companies is becoming a pain and
using all my spare time.

you guys are great.thanks.:comp10:

Pimpsho
05-21-2003, 01:24 PM
ahh i just got done reading that from begginin to finish! I feel stoneage with just chilled water! i am going tec soon but nothing compares to u bowman! whats the eta on this project to b finished?

bowman1964
05-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Pimpsho
ahh i just got done reading that from begginin to finish! I feel stoneage with just chilled water! i am going tec soon but nothing compares to u bowman! whats the eta on this project to b finished?

well i could have it going in a mater of days if i didnt need time to design to entire thing out.LOL.
i would say july 4th it will be running.I HOPE.
right now designing new evaperator's and a refrigerant injection system is top of the list.
plus i have been hired to build a cooling system for a customer who wants a -60c system for the cover of maxiumin pc.so i am waiting now on a new canterwood board and a 3.06 he is shipping me to use for evap sizing for his toy.

Pimpsho
05-21-2003, 04:56 PM
wow thats so tight!! if i wanted you to build me one that did that for amd how much would it cost me?

bowman1964
05-21-2003, 05:11 PM
well i dont want to really sell them.
i was asked if i could build one to be shown off for a ultimate pc or something.money i was told was no object.the guys case is being custom built.,and having a automotive paint guy do the colors.i am only doing the cooling.there is 4 or 5 guys building individual parts for this one pc.i would like to see my work on a front page of a national pc mag.that will make it all worth while.

to be honest i can buy a prometia for the time and money i have to invest in one unit.i am not into making them for money.if i ever sold anything it might would be the evaperators.which i am working on the hardest.but that is a long way away.

antipop
06-04-2003, 01:25 PM
It's the first time i check the phase change section and i'm speechless!!! You're a real nut (there a compliment hidden).
I dream about switching to phase change but it's a lot of work and a lot of money that i don't have
Anyhow keep us informed on how it goes.

muzz
06-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Here I am dying to just get my prommy delivered, and theres some guy who says $ is no object....
That should have been done already, but the cost/site of it would have been noticed....... not like the Vcards and cpu's/mobo's....
Heheheheh
I finally got the ok last week........ and pressed submit less than a minute later.

I am looking forward to it with great anticipation....... even if it is only a prommy to you B .;)

Now if tha damn thing would only get here already. :(

antipop
06-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by muzz
I finally got the ok last week........ and pressed submit less than a minute later.
I would never get the ok from my parents! Actually i've some money collected, but my parents have a close eye on them. It's true that when i buy a cpu or a mobo, they don't say anything cause you can always they it's something else or they won't notice

NockE
06-06-2003, 11:13 AM
It is not "just" a prommy, it IS a prommy
Now you're one of the happy few :banana:

I have my vapo now for a few weeks and now I want to know how it all works
and maybe, perhaps, sometime I'll be building such things too

Just don't be jaleous or something like that
I work extra on saturday-night as a bartender/waiter, so I earn a little more and so I can spend it on "expensive" computerparts :cool:

It's a hobby :D

antipop
06-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Just don't be jaleous or something like that I'm jealous anyway :D I wish i could work so i would have more money to spend (or waste according to my parents) in computers

gecko991
06-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Cascade systems are really nice. I have worked on those for Blood Labs and a couple Hospitals here and there. Very expensive is correct and almost cryo cold. Revcores are very nice units also.

shray
06-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Drool mode on.... I have nothing but a Big fat grin and A Jaw drop for ya bowman

bowman1964
06-26-2003, 11:52 AM
well just dropped another $100 in this beast.the low side compressor was locked i found out later.they had it blocked off.
but while i have been waiting and working on OPP's project i ran accross a new compressor.just picked it up off ebay.who would have thought the excate same model compressor that came in this freezer i would find on ebay.
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_fcc7fee6b1ab34ecff90859af583df07/i-1.JPG

NockE
06-26-2003, 12:10 PM
nice, nice
maybe I missed it, but what compressor are we talking about?

Pimpsho
06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
the one in the pic...... and thats not the one that was in the freezer that u got from the hospital is it!!! if it is omfg u lucky boy!!! u got another top of the line toy:D what was that freezer rated at for temps again? -85c?

bowman1964
06-26-2003, 04:30 PM
yes the freezer had two of these bristol compressors.
when i got it torn down i saw one compressor was disconnected for some reason.then i found some service notes written on the back cover from the maintance done to it over the years.seams the low temp compressor had failed for some reason,the note said the compressor had a bent valve and wouldnt pull the proper vacuum.
so thats one reason i put it on the back burner.we are talking over $500 dollars for a new replacement compressor.i have too much in it now.
but this week i did some surfing in eday as i do weekly.and i saw this interesting find.
the guy had one for sale.the excate model that my freezer had.brand,size,numbers all match....
so i watched it all week.and saw people biding on it.i dont think anyone knew what it was,just a compressor.
i waited and bid.it took 3 bids to do it but i got it with 10 sec to spare.
i know i will never find another one again so i got it.

now i am back on the plan again after OPP's project.:D

see here are the original compressors
http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/COMPRESSORSCASCADE.jpg
and the replacement i just ordered.

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_fcc7fee6b1ab34ecff90859af583df07/i-1.JPG

aNabolic
06-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Good to see your back on track :)

You gotta love Ebay.

Bowman ! Bowman ! Bowman!

(Sorry just being a groupie ;))

Brett

berkut
06-30-2003, 11:53 AM
gogo bowman...
and i cant do a thing about my cascade as im on vacation (im in warsaw for one day)....

at least i can think about theoreticall aspects of my system.... back in 3 weeks and kick'n as ^^

bowman1964
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
thanks berkut.:D

but i have customers ahead of me it looks like.
new bristol compressor just came in.i have starting thinking cascade again.;)

berkut
07-02-2003, 02:11 PM
how powerfull are these bristoll compressors ? they look hell'o'mighty :0

wich parts of the original systems will you use ? coaxial heat exchanger, oil separator, etc. ?

what will you use to replace the cap tube ? a car injector ? you said smth. about. a special valve you got, can you post some pics of it ?

and one final question, can you post a "walkthrough" like i do, pics before, during and after the work ? ive noticed you usually post only final pics :\ (not mentioning the topic on phase-change.com about your old chiller)

bowman1964
07-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by berkut
how powerfull are these bristoll compressors ? they look hell'o'mighty :0

wich parts of the original systems will you use ? coaxial heat exchanger, oil separator, etc. ?

what will you use to replace the cap tube ? a car injector ? you said smth. about. a special valve you got, can you post some pics of it ?

and one final question, can you post a "walkthrough" like i do, pics before, during and after the work ? ive noticed you usually post only final pics :\ (not mentioning the topic on phase-change.com about your old chiller)

well first yes my friend that is a powerful compressor.can you believe only 1/2hp but this is the great part..this is a sub low temp compressor ,it has a awsome low side vacuum.i guess thats one reason it is so large.

i am using the entire system from the old one.yes oil seperator and all.and i will tell you something.the coaxial condensor you made is the excate duplicate of the factory unit i have less the cosmetic look.so you will be good to know yours is right on track.
and valve yes i have 2 in front of me but its not working like i hoped.the prototype evap i have with the valve installed is giving me problems.
as far as pic's and start to finish work.well i am afraid those days are gone.too much to do my young friend.i spend too many hours now on these things,with my kidds to raise and working 12 hour days mon -fri.helping people now takes alot of time (i try to spend at least 1 to 2 hours a day helping and posting in the forums,plus the projects like OPP's ...well you get the point.

but i will post as much as i can

berkut
07-03-2003, 12:21 AM
well first yes my friend that is a powerful compressor.can you believe only 1/2hp but this is the great part..this is a sub low temp compressor ,it has a awsome low side vacuum.i guess thats one reason it is so large.

Is it a 2 piston compressor ?

and valve yes i have 2 in front of me but its not working like i hoped.the prototype evap i have with the valve installed is giving me problems.

Leaks ? :\ Cant regulate it ? :/

bowman1964
07-03-2003, 07:52 AM
it isnt leaks but the way it flows into the chamber.freezes up in the tip and changes the flow.i will work on it some more soon i hope

bowman1964
07-10-2003, 05:42 PM
small update...picked up a killer deal.
i have now 3 of these super low refridgeration compressors.so i get to start my cascade with brand new compressors.:D

and i have recieved my new ac hose i am going to test this weekend on some of bakers blocks.stainless steel braided teflon line hose.suposed to withstand down to -100c temps.

bowman1964
07-10-2003, 05:49 PM
ok here is a pic of the new hose,along with some of bakers blocks:D

Pimpsho
07-10-2003, 05:56 PM
oh man i think i just wet myself! how good are those compressors? those the ones outa that huge freezer u bought?

bowman1964
07-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Pimpsho
oh man i think i just wet myself! how good are those compressors? those the ones outa that huge freezer u bought?

yes they are the excate part number replacement compressors that the freezer came with.:D

Pimpsho
07-10-2003, 06:48 PM
dude how much would one of those cost new? didnt u get the low side compressor on ebay?

baker18
07-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Can't wait for the results.........................

baker18

berkut
07-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Yove got exacly the same hose as i do, mine is only longer/ smaller id/ different fitting :D

is it black or white inside, mine's white :D

How do you plan to configure these compresors ? 2 comp. in the 1'st stage / 1 compressor in the 2nd ?

macci
07-12-2003, 08:46 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=126015

You know I happen to possess almost identical freezer. Haven't played much with it yet (thanks to army, which is all done now btw ;)) but I know it cools the air inside the freezer down to -90C.
Not quite sure what i'm going to do with it but it must be adapted to CPU cooling somehow. So I'll most likely end up ripping the comps off the casing and installing a CPU evap on it.

This is pretty much the first time I'm readin the phase change forum and I must say you guys are doing some superb stuff! :toast:
Can't wait to see how those cascadecoolers perform on CPU cooling.

baker18
07-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Macci,

The great master himself.
Welcome to the phase change section............

baker18

Pimpsho
07-12-2003, 03:18 PM
wow macci is here! sweet nice to see ya postin here..
~chris

berkut
07-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Can't wait to see how those cascadecoolers perform on CPU cooling.

Wait till bowman or me finishes a cascade cooler :D

Bowman will you use bakers blocks ? Or make a new custom one, maybe similar to mine :D

bowman1964
07-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by berkut
Wait till bowman or me finishes a cascade cooler :D

Bowman will you use bakers blocks ? Or make a new custom one, maybe similar to mine :D

well......as baker and me are working so close...it will be his blocks i am using.
and did you see i said BLOCKS.....this is going to have muliple evap heads.with a single return.2 at least but i am planing on 3.

another jump to go over.but since i have gotten a 2 evap system working i think i can work 3 this time....
cascade and 3 evaperators how much harder can i dream up this stuff:rolleyes:

La1kr0diZ
07-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Bowman, you`ll die someday when your room temp will reach absolute zero :)

How about starting some "Phase-Change lessons" and writing a book "Phase-change for dummies"? Youre the god man.

Show us more pix of every thing you do to this freezer.

P.S. How much compressors do you own overall, btw? 5, 7, 10?

antipop
07-17-2003, 12:43 AM
He's writting articles for www.phase-change.com
I think it's his own website but i can't swear it

bowman1964
07-17-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by antipop
He's writting articles for www.phase-change.com
I think it's his own website but i can't swear it

nope the website belongs to my friend fredperry..:D he started it last year and i have helped as much as possable:p:

TheDude
07-17-2003, 05:12 AM
cascade and 3 evaperators

Wow! You go bro! You can do it, I have no doubts about that. :D

:toast:

]JR[
07-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Welcome back dude :)

]JR[

bowman1964
07-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by ]JR[
Welcome back dude :)

]JR[
i second that:D

TheDude
07-17-2003, 08:40 AM
Thanks....trying to get in here more...miss you guys! :D

berkut
07-17-2003, 11:41 AM
3 evaps ? All running @ the II stage or one @ the II / 1-2 @ the I stage ?

Are these compressors so powerfull ??

Btw. im in warsaw for 5 days so ill be able to finish 90% of my cascade, exept the evap :>

Gary Lloyd
07-17-2003, 12:14 PM
On each downstroke of the compressor's piston, the cylinder fills with refrigerant vapor. How much vapor depends on how much low side pressure is pushing the refrigerant vapor into the cylinder. The more low side pressure, the more vapor the compressor pumps, the more work it is doing, and the higher the compressor's capacity. That's why the capacity drops off at lower temperatures as the low side pressure drops down.

When we change to a higher pressure refrigerant, we increase the capacity of the compressor @ the same temperature, because the higher pressure forces more vapor into the cylinder, making the compressor work harder. We can then run the low side at a lower temperature before the pressure drops down to where it was before we switched refrigerants, at which time we end up with the same capacity at a lower temperature. OR, we can run it at a little higher temperature to handle increased capacity (more or larger evaps).

Within its limits, any compressor will handle a heavier load, but it will do so at a higher evaporator temperature (higher low side pressure).

I hope this makes sense. :D

Pimpsho
07-17-2003, 06:01 PM
wow that lil paragraph explained how the condenser actually works...man thanks! now i have a jist of a vapo setup;_

bowman1964
07-19-2003, 07:11 AM
well i have made my manifold to handle the 3 evaperators that well be used in the system.
and i should be testing it maybe today. but i will be testing on my single compressor system.it should handle the load of 2 evaperators.
if i can finish beforethe girlfriend drags me off to party today..LOL:D

i should have a pic or 2 shortly:D

berkut
07-19-2003, 11:23 AM
nice :D

ill finish my 1 stage and assemble some crap cap tube on II stage to test my beast ;]

bowman1964
07-20-2003, 08:48 AM
looky looky guys,:cool:

got the twin evaperators going:toast:

it is a royal pain thou...he he he

Gary Lloyd
07-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Aside from that ugly white stuff it looks great, Bowman.

Good job. :D

How about taking a closeup pic of where the cap tubes connect to the liquid line?

bowman1964
07-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
Aside from that ugly white stuff it looks great, Bowman.

Good job. :D

How about taking a closeup pic of where the cap tubes connect to the liquid line?

ask and you will recieve...

i was in a hurry so a little blurry

Gary Lloyd
07-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Very kewl... and very cool. :D

TheDude
07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Sweet!

Can't wait to see what kind of temps you get when all done and loaded!
I think it's great that you continue to grow and challenge yourself with each new project!

bowman1964
07-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Sweet!

Can't wait to see what kind of temps you get when all done and loaded!
I think it's great that you continue to grow and challenge yourself with each new project!

thanks my friend,

i am glad to see you up and around today.....

we all miss the hell out of ya:)

antipop
07-20-2003, 12:34 PM
That's a monster you got here, i'd love to see the complete setup once it's over and running

|Oc|REvO_HsArC
07-23-2003, 05:56 AM
damn...... is that efficient?....

bowman1964
07-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by pc ice
thought this was interesting.

well that is just a distribution manifold,used to evenly send the refrigerant to the single evaperator.it is more effecient than liquid entering only one or 2 places.

Gary Lloyd
07-23-2003, 06:06 AM
That is not multiple cap tubes. It is a distributor. A whole different thing.

serialkiller
08-21-2003, 06:39 AM
hehe was thinking exactely the same thing ;)

JToolz
08-21-2003, 11:30 AM
That is so cool Bowman. What temps are you expecting to each evap?

bowman1964
08-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JToolz
That is so cool Bowman. What temps are you expecting to each evap? -85c at least on each.
every day i play with high pressure refirgerants i learn new tricks.at the moment i have achieved making a r404 evap run full load at -46c which is right at its normal boiling temp.so i am increasing the effecientcy of my systems on a daily basis.
i dont think i will have much of a problem with hitting -85c but i will at least be ready i hope.

TheDude
08-21-2003, 12:53 PM
i have achieved making a r404 evap run full load at -46c

If that's my prommie your talking about...I will be one very happy camper! That's just incredible man. :D :D :D :D :D :D

JToolz
08-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Bowman if you ever are looking to sell one of your creations let me know....lol

Niven
08-24-2003, 07:15 PM
OMG! Im saving now, ive got to get myself into this cooling style.

Bra!nFreeZe^
08-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Damn that looks NICE Bowman what kind of temps are you aiming for ? lower or higher than -85 C

Hehe i just got my Vapo classic todag :) i got to start the phase Changing hobby somewhere :)

bowman1964
08-29-2003, 05:39 PM
i will be happy with -85c or so

WxChaser
08-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah! Minus 121 degrees fahrenheit sounds pretty damned awesome too.

I can convert temps like a champ, lol! :)

afireinside
08-30-2003, 07:39 PM
:slobber: Bowman your crazy... :slobber:

antipop
08-31-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by afireinside
:slobber: Bowman your crazy... :slobber: that sums it all up

vlad
10-05-2003, 03:49 AM
i will be happy with -85c or so
YEA RIGHT! for how long? i said the same thing long ago when i first dragraced my stock motorcycle, that didnt last long. when i first got into computers i said im not going to mod this like ive done everything else in my life. my wife laughed. face it bowman
we're addicts plan & simple. wife #1 thought it was a bad thing.
wife #2 thinks its a good thing.;)

TheDude
10-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Vlad,

You're catching on.....wife #4 agrees with me on everything. ;)

bowman1964
10-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Vlad,

You're catching on.....wife #4 agrees with me on everything. ;) told you many a time....you got a good wife my friend:D

TheDude
10-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Yeah,,I do, but look how many women I had to go thru to find one good one! :D

Penguin4x4
10-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Freon-503!?!!?!!!! Holy §§§§§§§ing §§§§berries :stick: :stick:

Death ++
10-23-2003, 07:34 PM
after reading through this thread, i have much respect for all phase changers. someday i hope to among the likes of you guys. Bowman is the phase change god, and I WORSHIP YOU!!! i can't wait to see how this project turns out:rocker: :thumbsup: :worship: :worship: :YIPPIE: :worship: :worship:

Charles Wirth
10-23-2003, 08:57 PM
http://fugger.netfirms.com/cryo.jpg

Gonna cut the lines tomorrow to pull the compressors free

2x 1HP hermetic compressors running R500/R503

Bowman, why dont you go right to 410?

bowman1964
10-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by FUGGER

Bowman, why dont you go right to 410?

because i never do things the easy way,i have never gotten anywhere doing that.

but who knows,i have been wanting to get a new can of 410 for a prom special mod i have.who knows?:D

Nookie420
11-02-2003, 04:34 PM
MAN, I THINK I JUST drueled on my keyboard.

uclajd
11-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Yeah,,I do, but look how many women I had to go thru to find one good one! :D And that RMA policy is a biatch! ;)

Gary Lloyd
11-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah,,I do, but look how many women I had to go thru to find one good one!

And that RMA policy is a biatch!

Cut out the middle man. Find a woman you hate and buy her a house. :D

Redwolf
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
You should get better over all liquid and suction gas flow if you tee the suction lines. I've seen one evap flood and the other starve. Ya I know no one ever does this anymore but its still the proper way to do it.

TheDude
11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Welcome to Xtreme Redwolf! :D
Hope you stick around, I bet you have a lot you could contribute to some of these discussions.