PDA

View Full Version : SoB as a service: multiple instance how-to

Martijn
09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Since some people had use of this information, I was asked to post this in public so that everyone could be helped with this.

So you wanted to run multiple instances of Seventeen or Bust? But you already tried loading up 2 or more of them manually from the same folder? That doesn't work for you, as you probably noticed. The two instances will both process the same proth test. This means you won't get ANY points at all, and you are just calculating for nothing.

It is time for the service install. It may sound quite difficult, but if you follow my steps, it really is very easy to do. Follow these instructions to install multiple SoB services: (and leave the ' ' when you need to fill anything in)

Download (http://seventeenorbust.com/download/) the SoB 2.5.0 Windows client (with service installer)
Install SoB as you would normally do
Configure the client to meet your preferences
Un-check the option: 'Auto-Start on Windows Boot', as the service will automatically start itself.

Now stop the entire client and make sure Seventeen or Bust isn't running any more. This is very important, or else your service install won't do anything at all.

Press the start button
Press 'run'
Type: 'cmd' to open a dos prompt
Now type 'cd\' to go to your system root
Type 'cd\Program Files\SB' to go to your SoB folder. If the path is different, fill in the path you installed it to.
Type 'sobsvc -i' to install the service.

If you want to load multiple instances, type this after you installed the service:

'sobsvc -p:x', where x equals the amount of clients you want to load.

This is the amount of clients you can run on a CPU:

Single CPU: 1
Single CPU with HT: 2
Dual CPU/Dual Core: 2
Dual CPU, Dual Core/Dual CPU with HT: 4

I think you'll all understand that :p:.

No make sure your service is running by restarting it:

Press the start button
Press 'run'
Type 'services.msc' and look for 'Seventeen or Bust Service'
Select the service and press restart to start the service straight away, or reboot your rig.

After you restarted the service, or restarted your rig, you should see x clients loading on your screen and minimizing towards your system tray. You have one light blue 'Seventeen' in your system tray for every client currently running. If they're running, the light blue 17 slowly turns dark blue.

As a last thing to check whether the service is installed correctly, open up all the clients, and check whether each client is calculating a different K/N value. If this isn't the case, please post in this thread and explain what you've done, because it should JUST work if you followed these steps.

Get CRUNCHING!!! :toast:

Martijn
09-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Please post questions if you have them and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Weedsqueezer
09-04-2006, 11:18 AM
k i have 2.5.0 installed and running already... is the download you pointed to different?

Martijn
09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
k i have 2.5.0 installed and running already... is the download you pointed to different?
If you have the version with the service installer, no. Have a look at what you downloaded.

EDIT: there is only one Windows version, and that's the one WITH a service installer, so no problems here.

Btw, I want this stickied :D

Weedsqueezer
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Great guide Martin! You just won the sunshine award! :up:

Martijn
09-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Type 'cd\Program Files\SB' to go to your SoB folder. If the path is different, fill in the path you installed it to.

need to edit that line as folder is SOB
Am I missing something?

Weedsqueezer
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
i'll edit my remark...that's what it was on my rig. sorry. also. after reboot, the services started, but the icons didn't come up.

Martijn
09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
i'll edit my remark...that's what it was on my rig. sorry. also. after reboot, the services started, but the icons didn't come up.
Never mind.

Your second note: that happens to me as well sometimes, if you want them to come up restart the service through services.msc as explained.

Weedsqueezer
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
got it thanks again :)

feedmemonster
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
This is great info... :rolleyes: Sticky?:rolleyes:

[XC] riptide
09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Couldn't have done it better myself.;) Yep, this is stickie material. (It could be stuck under MY sticky :hehe:) :rofl:

[XC]thewildblue
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Stuck !!!

Martijn
09-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Thank you! :D

[XC] riptide
09-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Do you ever notice the 'explorer.exe' process in task manager using more proc. power than it should? Say 5-8 %? Apparently thats a bug in the service install setup. If you adjust the Seventeen or Bust service to not 'interact with desktop' this proc usage will go down to normal levels for 'explorer.exe' Might add that to main sticky too!

bullet2urbrain
09-20-2006, 06:37 PM
so i did this, and when i restart the service the 2 icons show up. but they never start running, and when i move the mouse over them they disappear like the service is magically killing itself.

anythoughts??

Martijn
09-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Are you sure you disabled the automatic start in the SoB clients themselves?