PDA

View Full Version : Nexus Drive-A-Way HDD Cooler

jtdigital
09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Anybody purchase this cooling device? Basically i want to build a quiet pc, does it really make the hd quiet? any info would be great.

Silver Bullet
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I would start with getting a quiet Power supply (seasonic), quiet fans (nexus, yateloon), quiet CPU HS (Ulta 120, Ninja) and video card cooler (VF900, X2) and then sound proofing (the $20 stuff is just fine) after all those then worry about the HDs. I too have a 150GB raptor and now after all that and more (added rubber gaskets for the fans and power supply) .. now i can hear the HDs spinning. You will never get the noise a HD seeking down that much its just something you're going to have to live with.. .but doing all the above stuff should make for a very very noticeable difference.

jtdigital
09-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Acutally I have all the areas covered except the hard drive but I will keep in mind before I spend more on the nexus. Thanks
OCZ 700w PSU (Quiet)
Lian Li Case comes with ADDA fans (Quiet)
VF-900 or X2 gonna order soon!

Nanometer
09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't have all the models of lian li cases memorized, but I think most of their cases have an excellent design to cool the hard drives, I think you can leave it alone.

Thrilla
09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
The thing looks pretty promising.
The actual hard drive noise comes from the metal plates attached to it, aka w/e you use to hold your drive. Vibration moves from the HDD itself onto the metal plates which amplifies the noise, so a quick and easy way to do it is to isolate the hard drive and use some wire to ground it.

jtdigital
09-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't have all the models of lian li cases memorized, but I think most of their cases have an excellent design to cool the hard drives, I think you can leave it alone.
i'm trying to make my pc quiet. thanks for all the replies, seems nobody has one yet to comment on the device.

Thrilla
09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
The thing looks pretty promising.
The actual hard drive noise comes from the metal plates attached to it, aka w/e you use to hold your drive. Vibration moves from the HDD itself onto the metal plates which amplifies the noise, so a quick and easy way to do it is to isolate the hard drive and use some wire to ground it.

Like I said, all you need to do really is to isolate the HDD from it's mounting plates, that'll reduce the noise by lots.

This device does look promising but if your 5.25" bay is stacked with no air flow then expect a toasty hard drive.