PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my main rig will be down for awhile

rcofell
09-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Went to a LAN party on friday night and sure enough my comp didn't want to turn on(I think I'm cursed, the only other LAN party I've gone to my hard drive died). Looked inside and didn't see anything outta the ordinary, although I did catch a slight whiff of burnt electronics... So I reseated the ram and tried turning it on again, it powered up, but after a few seconds it began to beep. I looked inside again, this time deciding to take out all the expansion cards, sure enough it was the video card, one of the pci-e traces had completely burnt out.

I knew I could handle waiting for the RMA on the gfx card, but the state of the motherboard bothered me, like it frying the RMA'd card. About an hour ago I tested out the machine with a regular pci video card and no go with that even, I just hope everything isn't fubar'd :(

Sorta makes it worse that my motherboard was an open box sapphire grouper from newegg, so I can't RMA from them. The board always was screwed up from the beginning anyways, I could never run 1T and it was extremely pickey when I'd change about anything in the bios, hence I never really put much effort into getting my opty165 over 2.4GHz.

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-02-2006, 07:48 PM
That sucks ! :(

itznfb
09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
yea that bites hard. hope you get your :banana::banana::banana::banana: sorted out soon

[XC] hipno650
09-02-2006, 07:56 PM
ouch that sucks big time!!!!! hope that it gets better:D mabye you should kick it?

rcofell
09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
ouch that sucks big time!!!!! hope that it gets better:D mabye you should kick it?
Maybe I should just chuck it out the window, scratch that, as there's a $25 fee for taking out the window screens in the dorms :D

Maybe I'll convince myself to buy a conroe, then get a new mobo so I can use the stuff to upgrade my fileserver, was thinking about upgrading it anyways... :)

[XC] hipno650
09-02-2006, 08:31 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm conroe:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

[XC] serlv
09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Some Ultra-D's in the classifieds...

Movieman
09-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear this. I hate hearing of hardware going bad..What's in your server?
Maybe I have something to upgrade it while your deciding what to do.
Give me a PM if I can help..

rcofell
09-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Some Ultra-D's in the classifieds...
Yeah, already looked and debated making an offer, which I'll probably do :)

Sorry to hear this. I hate hearing of hardware going bad..What's in your server?
Maybe I have something to upgrade it while your deciding what to do.
Give me a PM if I can help..
athlon 900
asus a7v
512 PC133
gig fiber pci card
Intel Columbus III chassis - picked it up from the state surplus for pretty cheap, pretty nice considering it was for a dualie PIII, got some aluminum brackets custom made to fit in the spot for the optional hot-swap bay so it can hold 6 more hard drives, making it able to hold 13(1 in a 5 1/2" bay) total. If I ever feel the need I can add another aluminum plate to hold 3 more :)
40GB OS Drive
2x200GB & 4X250GB Storage Drives - think one of the 250GB drives is bad tho, as I'm getting a kernel panic after running it for a few days and the logs point towards one of these
330Watt powersupply I think, came with the chassis - eitherway I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to upgrade it too

I'm pretty sure the cpu is limiting me to only 20MB/s transfers(local drives and across the network), so it'd be nice to take care of that. Besides that I'd like to get a motherboard in there with sata, so I don't have to worry about that in the future, suprisingly enough I still don't own a sata drive.

Martijn
09-03-2006, 03:06 AM
That sucks :slap:

Well, at least you got a good excuse to buy new hardware :D

brot
09-03-2006, 03:15 AM
thats really werid. At every lan i have been to at last one pc makes trouble.

Sorry to hear that it is that bad.

(going to a lan party today @ 5 pm gmt+2, whish me luck ;) )