PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I understood

rob725
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I've seen this more than once. I had thought those who processed wu's the fastest claimed more points, but what is this all about? Not that I'm complaining; I got 100% claimed points, but I just don't get it.

[XC] Adywebb
09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Not necesarily - like the boinc benchmarks, it can depend on several factors CPU/client/OS etc

rob725
09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Just curious...why so complicated. Why isn't a wu simply worth a certain amount of points? Then, if you process faster you get more wu's. (I realize it kind of ends up that way anyway, but I don't really understand the rationale of faster machines claiming more points. Is it that the actual amount of work isn't really known until processed?

ps. sorry for the newbie questions.

Movieman
09-02-2006, 01:55 PM
It's the quorum system that makes it complicated.
I can understand them wanting to tripple check the info.
I have no problem with that at all.
My personal feeling is that you should get credit for what you do..
Good bad or indifferent..what you do is what you get.
It isn't that way on this app but we knew that going in.

[XC] Adywebb
09-02-2006, 02:02 PM
You ask a very good question - WU's are not all the same length and when the WU's are sent out there is no way of knowing how long it will take to crunch and hence what score it will be worth, therefore it relies on Boinc to do the benchmarking for it.

The amount claimed therefore relies on the individual machine benchmarking , which in itself can be influenced by the client used/CPU/OS etc.

That is one of the reasons the quorum system is there, to attempt to get a balanced score for the same WU, as well as to check the results match.

All systems are inaccurate to be honest - just some are more inaccurate than others.

The rational IMHO should be that everyone should get the same credit for a particular WU regardless of how long it takes you to crunch as you have all done the same amount of work, but a faster more powerful machine will get more points overall because it crunches more units.

Movieman
09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
You ask a very good question - WU's are not all the same length and when the WU's are sent out there is no way of knowing how long it will take to crunch and hence what score it will be worth, therefore it relies on Boinc to do the benchmarking for it.

The amount claimed therefore relies on the individual machine benchmarking , which in itself can be influenced by the client used/CPU/OS etc.

That is one of the reasons the quorum system is there, to attempt to get a balanced score for the same WU, as well as to check the results match.

All systems are inaccurate to be honest - just some are more inaccurate than others.

The rational IMHO should be that everyone should get the same credit for a particular WU regardless of how long it takes to you to crunch as you have all done the same amount of work, but a faster more powerful machine will get more points overall because it crunches more units.
Agreed 100%..if the WU was worth a given amount then the faster machine would get more of them done in a given time. I suggested that at a former project but the issue was the variable time that you could work on a WU. That never made sense to me. If there are 500 steps that need to be done, then what is the logic of only doing 100 and sending that WU back.
What it said to me is that they were only testing and not really using the data except to work out the bugs in the system.

Haltech
09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
To be honest, i dont know if i can hang with this much longer. i got a whole whopping 1600 points from a conroe yesterday... theres just something seriously wrong with that.

Im supposed to get a 250 credit for a wu i do in less than 3 hrs. Some lames get the same work unit and have a slow ass 5 yr old computer.. which is giving me 67 points.

[XC] hipno650
09-02-2006, 02:53 PM
To be honest, i dont know if i can hang with this much longer. i got a whole whopping 1600 points from a conroe yesterday... theres just something seriously wrong with that.

Im supposed to get a 250 credit for a wu i do in less than 3 hrs. Some lames get the same work unit and have a slow ass 5 yr old computer.. which is giving me 67 points.

do you have the opties (see2) on? cuz that makes you claim more points. however you don't always get that because out of the three people the person that submits theres second gets the points they claimed and thats how many all three get. also the better the rig the more wu's it can pump out giving you more points. so this talk of the horsepower of the rig not mattering is total BS because an older rig will not produce as many wu as a new one will. also haltech it got 1600 points because each wu has to be cross checked (validated) against the other two peoples results with the same wu thus taking time because the other people have to finish the wu. so go to my grid and in the device mangeger then results mangeger and sort to see pending validation only that will show wu's that have yet to give you points.

mabye you knew all that?

[XC] Adywebb
09-02-2006, 02:55 PM
@Haltech

The 1600 will only be the results that validated that day - in reality you crunched alot more so you will get more another day.

That 67 points you got for 3 hrs equates to 469 WCG points - over 24hrs you will score 3752 points, and over both cores 7500 points a day - thats sounds about right to me.

The 'lame with a slow ass computer' will probably crunch that WU in 6-8hrs and hence crunch 3-4 results and get 1400 - 1800 points a day.

Haltech
09-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Where are you guys seeing the the WCS points anyhow? All i see are BOINC points on their main website and on FDC stats...

Yes, i have opties running. I replied in a nother thread with these benches...

[---] Benchmark results:
2006-08-31 20:08:34 [---] Number of CPUs: 2
2006-08-31 20:08:34 [---] 5516 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
2006-08-31 20:08:34 [---] 25697 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
2006-08-31 20:08:34 [---] Finished CPU benchmarks
2006-08-31 20:08:35 [---] Resuming computation
2006-08-31 20:08:35 [---] Rescheduling CPU: Resuming computation

Ive got 18 WUs pending credit, 6 inconclusive

[XC] Adywebb
09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
FreeDC do WCG points stats as well HERE (http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=wcg&team=XtremeSystems). WCG stats on your Member Page (https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewMyMemberPage.do) at WCG under My Statistics History and for individual machines under Device Manager.

itznfb
09-02-2006, 05:04 PM
run it for a couple weeks, and check your average points per result.

Hymay
09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Ive got 18 WUs pending credit, 6 inconclusive

That's where alot of your credit has gone, those tend to take a few extra runs.. I think the inconclusives get run more than 3 times.. so it takes a while longer to add to the valid points. All in all it takes several days to get "spun up" and get as many results validated as you are putting out. between 2 machines, i usually have 40-50 pending.