PDA

View Full Version : Which Sound Card?

WildKard
04-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Simple question :)

Ive been using Nforce2 based motherboards for a while and LOVE the soundstorm but I've completely given up on them and switched back to an Intel platform

I want to get a great sounding card for my headphones(Sennheiser HD600's on a CREEK OBH-11SE amp) and want to know what you guys would recommend?

Ive heard good things about the Audigy2, but fear that creatives drivers/compatibility issues will screw me over

What about the Hercules Fortismo 3? I have heard nothing but positive comments about it

audigy2 = $150 OEM
fortismo3 = $85 retail (canadian funds)

I play alot of games so I want stellar performance, but I also listen to tons of music when I'm not gaming and also movies, so I would like exceptional sound quality as well.

If you have any other recommendations shoot them at me :)

CCW
04-09-2003, 08:56 PM
some say the original Audigy is better than the Audigy 2, ive never really tested em myself, other than that the hercules cards, the fortissimos seem to be the ones recommended, we had a thread about thisa lil while ago and came up with either hercules or creative, i used to only use creative until i got my NF2 board, since then ive been using soundstorm ;)

Craig

Kurupt
04-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Santa Cruz card... I think they are way better then anything SB had come out with.

felix88
04-09-2003, 10:27 PM
i've heard a lot of good things about the Santa Cruz as well. you also might want to check out the M-Audio Revolution if you don't game that much.

jaawood
04-10-2003, 02:50 PM
go with the turtle beach santa cruz, i'd say its the best for the money. either that or the audigy 2.

antipop
04-11-2003, 03:06 PM
The Hercules Game theater is a great card, it worths the money

Hardass
04-11-2003, 03:12 PM
TB Santa Cruz, awesome card. I switch from creative.:)

silence
04-14-2003, 06:22 AM
I would suggest an Audigy2 card. But I've always found that SB's cards are over priced. If you want to save money, look into a Turtle Beach card or something similar.

Dissolved
04-14-2003, 06:37 AM
IMHO stay away from creative cards unless your a hardcore gamer.
Other then that just about any good brand soundcard will do. unless you have the BEST speakers out you wont need the best soundcard. just get one that suits your buget, and one that has the features u want.

MediOCre
04-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Another vote for the Turtle Beach. Never had a conflict or even so much as a hiccup with it through multiple hardware/software/OS configurations. If there's a difference in quality between it and the Soundstorm, I can't hear it.

Peckers
04-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Hercules Game theater - A great card I think and the racket is just awesome. Not much for the musician maybe but in games and for playing MP:s and such its great, besides it's got a 4-port USB-hub aswell. :)

beatnic
04-27-2003, 04:44 AM
want game? so forget about TBSC.. sorry but audigy2 owns all when it comes into gaming.. if you listen to music a lot more than u play games then get the Fortissimo III or M-Audio Revo
(soundstorm sounds better than Fortiss III)

Dissolved
04-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by beatnic
want game? so forget about TBSC.. sorry but audigy2 owns all when it comes into gaming.. if you listen to music a lot more than u play games then get the Fortissimo III or M-Audio Revo
(soundstorm sounds better than Fortiss III)

i second the soundstrom :)

Johnny Knoxvill
04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
i have the santa cruz, fortissimo 3 and m-audio revolution.
m-audio revolution wins hands down. :cool:

felix88
04-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Johnny Knoxvill, hows the CPU usage for gaming?

TheDude
04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Another vote for Turtle Beach SC

Johnny Knoxvill
04-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by felix88
Johnny Knoxvill, hows the CPU usage for gaming?

don't know, haven't noticed any difference between them, but how do i check this?

Alexandrus
05-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Creative SB Audigy2, definitely. I am sure you can find it for about 80 USD OEM version.
I've tried lots of sound cards, and if you are a gamer, nothing beats the Audigy2.
For music, the Terratec Space 7.1 or M-Audio revolution are both great(the revolution has a slight advantage due to nicer drivers).