PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply only stays on for 3 seconds when paperclipped pins. Broke?

CrewXp
08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey, I turned on my GamexStream using the paperclip going from the green to black in the guide, and it turned on for like 3 seconds (light on psu and pump). Then it turns off. Then I have to wait like 15 seconds before it'll turn on again.

ps: I plugged the 24 pin into the motherboard, and the green light on the motherboard turned on, but the power supply's blue light didn't turn on and neither did the light.

Am I doing something wrong?

edit: nvm. for some reason, it had too much power. plugged in 1 hard drive. didn't work. plugged in fans, didn't work. plugged in my 2nd hard drive, and its workin now

mtl_hed
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
I know you fixed it, but just to explain what was happening:

Our PSU's need a load to be able to function. The higher wattage the PSU the higher this minimum load needs to be.

The PSU was turning itself off for protection.

Xeon th MG Pony
08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
yup minimum load really old PSUs had Power resisters to meet the minimum load so you could turn them on disconnected.

For any serious moder I highly recommend buying an old 300Watt AT supply for bench testing components as thees supplies did the power resister thing, very handy.

SiGfever
08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
I use an old 250w power supply for just this purpose. This way as I change my pumps it is very easy to power them without having to disconnect everything else.

MaxxxRacer
08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
u need load on the 12v+ line...

Patriote
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I use an Antec 400 watts and i can run it for a long time whitout anything connected to it lol

Sneaky
08-31-2006, 10:38 PM
i got an old hipro 350w PSU that i did the pinmod to and it runs fine all day long

i use it for when im leaktesting with my pumps or to test out fans so i don't have to dig for a spare molex inside my case

[XC] MarioMaster
09-01-2006, 08:03 PM
just depends, some do, some don't - i have a turbolink 420 watt psu that runs fine with no load

Shpoon
09-01-2006, 08:30 PM
My seasonic works fine (just have a couple fans running on it).

mtl_hed
09-01-2006, 09:00 PM
My seasonic works fine (just have a couple fans running on it).

This is the minimum load I spoke of. Those couple of fans allow the PSU to correctly regulate voltage.

I personally would not test a PSU's ability to power on w/o devices attached unless I KNEW FOR SURE that it would do so. There's always the slim possibility of breaking something.

krylon
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
PCP&C 510 works fine with no load.

voigts
09-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't personally use my Fortron jumped to just power a pump. I just use an old included-with-the-case el cheapo power supply when leaktesting, and it doesn't need any load to run. Besides being easier, I just figured as a precaution that if for some reason something were to mess up, I would rather kill an old piece of junk PS than my good one.