PDA

View Full Version : Know the Competition

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
How come Easynews has so many active crunching members?
I visited the website. Found this:

Easynews is a Usenet provider, supplying a full feed with all groups (including those with binary content).
Price $9.98 for 20 Gigabytes
However, members can earn free gigs of download credit for crunching !
There is an interface on the site where members automatically get credit gigs to their account.
For every 15 days of CPU time (not important the credit) reported by WCG, they get a 1 gig credit.
Talk about clever marketing.

Thought that may be of interest.

itznfb
08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
thats going to be real hard to beat =\

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Very clever of them. Anyone who joins Easynews newsfeed, would take the offer for free downloads. Ok 1 USD does not cover the electric bill for 15 days, but in the background, sure why not.

Thankfully, it seams that everybody is downloading the UD client and thus maybe their scores does not add to BOINC?
Otherwise we are dead meat.

(See the other thread)

itznfb
08-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Thankfully, it seams that everybody is downloading the UD client and thus maybe their scores does not add to BOINC?
(See the other thread)

that would make more sense.... what other thread?

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
we are xs we do not lose!!!!!!!!:p: we are going to have our work cut out for use however good for easynews great idea!!!!!!

Martijn
08-31-2006, 12:57 PM
we are xs we do not lose!!!!!!!!:p: we are going to have our work cut out for use however good for easynews great idea!!!!!!
See it the nice way: the won't be able to easily ramp up production :)

brot
08-31-2006, 01:00 PM
See it the nice way: the won't be able to easily ramp up production :)

;) Lets surprise them with our power.

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
;) Lets surprise them with our power.

correction Lets OWN them with our power:p:

Martijn
08-31-2006, 01:33 PM
correction Lets OWN them with our power:p:
Lets pwn them... This is XS :D

lawrywild
08-31-2006, 01:34 PM
We can beat them.. we just need more members to migrate over. They're coming slowly but surely..

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 01:36 PM
that would make more sense.... what other thread?
Here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113961). I was commenting on the specific discrepancy between Boinc and UD in Easynews scores.

carl.h
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Who`s the :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: professionals.......

You or I wanna download some more blah blah ????:stick: :p: :D

Movieman
08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
EasyNews is beatable. ANYONE is beatable. It depends on what your willing to put into the effort.
Jan 11,2006..XS Rosetta team: 65 members;Output maybe 70K a day
April1,2006...........................:150 members;Output 150K a day
May1,2006...........................:300 members;Output 350K a day
August15,2006.....:600+members, 220 active:Output 525K a day
This CAN be done..Some planning, some hard work, some new guys and time..
IT CAN BE DONE IF WE WANT IT ENOUGH!

For the newer guys that aren't sick of hearing my little lines yet, think on this:
"Set impossible goals so that when you meet them you know you have done something worthwhile"

Maybe I was an inspirational speaker in a former life?:D

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
i can be done and will be done!!!!!!!! keep a positive attidue and belive in the cause and it will happen. but we also need to get the word out!!!!! mabye some BIG SIGS like with the one mill rosetta day?:D

[XC] Adywebb
08-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Very clever of them. Anyone who joins Easynews newsfeed, would take the offer for free downloads. Ok 1 USD does not cover the electric bill for 15 days, but in the background, sure why not.

Otherwise we are dead meat.

(See the other thread)
meshmesh I have answered in the other thread - but yes, the vast majority of Easy News members use the UD client and their scores will not show up in the Boinc stats.

lawrywild
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
i can be done and will be done!!!!!!!! keep a positive attidue and belive in the cause and it will happen. but we also need to get the word out!!!!! mabye some BIG SIGS like with the one mill rosetta day?:D

Why havn't you got anything in your sig? :slapass:

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok. Time for some serious talk. First let us be clear. We will NEVER be number one in WCG UD stats (Easynet total 818 Million + 3 Million UD credits per day). Why, becuase this requires 750,000 BOINC credits per day (10x our current WCG production).

So let us focus on BOINC WCG rank first. Looking at the table below, we see that in order to catch up with Easynews after one year, XS needs a daily credit level of 140,000. Essentially double what we do now. So how do we get this extra 70,000 Boinc credits per day?

We are to assume tha the 70,000 credits daily output at R@H will stay there. Further more, DDTung where abouts and intensions are unknown at the moment. There are some XS members helping in DC vault projects, but I am not sure that this is anywhere near what is needed, maybe 10,000 at best, when and if they decide to rejoin.

The only thing I can think about is this: there are 28,000 XS members all owning computers, most OCed. A recrutement campain to enroll 0.5% of them would produce say 140 members * 500 credits/day average = 70,000 credits which we need. So the target now is this 0.5%.

Sounds easy? Needs some thinking. Any ideas?

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
5% isn't bad. Some one make up a banner to put in our sig and we can spread the word!!

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
5% isn't bad. Some one make up a banner to put in our sig and we can spread the word!!

5% would be great. but what I meant was 0.5% ie half a percent.

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Why havn't you got anything in your sig? :slapass:

you said something about not having anything in my sig:p:

i prepose that ALL the members of the team use the Avatar that i have and put somthing in there sig about WCG!!!!!! then we might get the word accross!!!!! we need to have a unified front in recruting efforts!!!!!!

also i belive that we can pass easynews in ALL categories!!!!!!! we had over 500k in rosetta if we can get dd and all the big boys back plus 10% of the xs crowd we might be able to do it!!!!!!

I propose that we set our goal as being #1 in all of the stats!!!!! We can do it!!!!!!!!

Martijn
08-31-2006, 09:38 PM

i prepose that ALL the members of the team use the Avatar that i have and put somthing in there sig about WCG!!!!!! then we might get the word accross!!!!! we need to have a unified front in recruting efforts!!!!!!

also i belive that we can pass easynews in ALL categories!!!!!!! we had over 500k in rosetta if we can get dd and all the big boys back plus 10% of the xs crowd we might be able to do it!!!!!!

I propose that we set our goal as being #1 in all of the stats!!!!! We can do it!!!!!!!!
Link to the avatar is in my sig :p:

L0$t Pr0PhEt
08-31-2006, 11:30 PM

yes but 500k @ Rosetta =/= 500k @ Boinc WCG

it will take long but we can do it :)

vaio
09-01-2006, 02:49 AM
28000 members :eek: .........Think you got my boards 51 beat :D

WindForce
09-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Ok. Time for some serious talk. First let us be clear. We will NEVER be number one in WCG UD stats (Easynet total 818 Million + 3 Million UD credits per day). Why, becuase this requires 750,000 BOINC credits per day (10x our current WCG production).

So let us focus on BOINC WCG rank first. Looking at the table below, we see that in order to catch up with Easynews after one year, XS needs a daily credit level of 140,000. Essentially double what we do now. So how do we get this extra 70,000 Boinc credits per day?

We are to assume tha the 70,000 credits daily output at R@H will stay there. Further more, DDTung where abouts and intensions are unknown at the moment. There are some XS members helping in DC vault projects, but I am not sure that this is anywhere near what is needed, maybe 10,000 at best, when and if they decide to rejoin.

The only thing I can think about is this: there are 28,000 XS members all owning computers, most OCed. A recrutement campain to enroll 0.5% of them would produce say 140 members * 500 credits/day average = 70,000 credits which we need. So the target now is this 0.5%.

Heya Mesh
Of course i'm for recruiting new members, specially with such an humongous oponent as Easynews...
OTOH, look at the bright side of stats...While checking the stats when reading your post, i noticed yesterday was already over 80K. Also, as you noted, plenty of members are "in between" stuff, and will join in the few days/weeks. Finally, speaking of myself, i moved +- 50% of my stuff to wcg, and will keep on moving the rest during the next 2 weeks, and i assume i am not the only one in this situation. In conclusion, we can get those 70k daily "finger-in-the-nose" ( that's french expression for "without even raising a finger" ) in the coming days.
Add DDT to that equation, and then we're up for no.1 again faster than you can say "Jack Robinson" :-)

[XC] Adywebb
09-01-2006, 03:24 AM
28000 members :eek: .........Think you got my boards 51 beat :D
Thats because no-one likes you pup :stick: :p:

vaio
09-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Yup, I've noticed :(

Good luck with your WCG assault XS :)

[XC] Adywebb
09-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Hey pup - you know I was only teasin', we all luv ya!! :thumbsup:

[XC] hipno650
09-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Heya Mesh
Of course i'm for recruiting new members, specially with such an humongous oponent as Easynews...
OTOH, look at the bright side of stats...While checking the stats when reading your post, i noticed yesterday was already over 80K. Also, as you noted, plenty of members are "in between" stuff, and will join in the few days/weeks. Finally, speaking of myself, i moved +- 50% of my stuff to wcg, and will keep on moving the rest during the next 2 weeks, and i assume i am not the only one in this situation. In conclusion, we can get those 70k daily "finger-in-the-nose" ( that's french expression for "without even raising a finger" ) in the coming days.
Add DDT to that equation, and then we're up for no.1 again faster than you can say "Jack Robinson" :-)

:woot: :woot: :woot: nice to see ya here and i can't wait for dd:woot: :woot: !!!! but we needto look pro to the other people ont he forum!!!!! you don't have to lose your sig9 just put something about wcg in it!!!!! and i know that everyone loves their avatar and i know i loved ackbar but we must make sacrifices!!!!!!

Hymay
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Need to frequent the intel forum, its a zoo there, but there's got to be several hundered, if not a thousand or 2 shiny new conroes that may be ripe for a new "stability test" With the deluge of threads in there, its hard to tell, and even harder to keep something on the front page.

Martijn
09-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Need to frequent the intel forum, its a zoo there, but there's got to be several hundered, if not a thousand or 2 shiny new conroes that may be ripe for a new "stability test" With the deluge of threads in there, its hard to tell, and even harder to keep something on the front page.
Ask fugger for a sticky :p:

'The ultimate conroe bench thread', or something catchy :)

[XC] hipno650
09-01-2006, 07:44 AM
or we just go there and tell people that if they install and run wcg and there conroe problems will be solved!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :p: ya if we could get the word out there that we be great!!!!!

[XC] moddolicous
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM

Never say never meshmesh. Its not that its impossible, more that it very hard and would take a long time, but not impossible.

[XC] hipno650
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Never say never meshmesh. Its not that its impossible, more that it very hard and would take a long time, but not impossible.

you said it!!!!!

i just posted in the intel forum under "resons for intel failing prime" and told the not to use prime to use WCG!!!!!!:D

Firechicken
09-01-2006, 08:33 AM

Very good thinking Meshmesh I think we may have found our new stats "person" lol. The email that was sent out for rosetta was a good thing it brought in alot of good crunchers, it was that email that brought me into the xs rosetta team, but I am not sure how the mod's/admin's feel about using that too much. maby it's best reserved for special times like the one million day just a thought.

Hymay: the intel forum should be a nice place to find some puters, how would we ask and bring the info about wcg to these people withoput looking like a cold sales call? if we can find a really effecive way we should be able to bring alot of people in. I will do my best to let some people know about what we are doing here.

Maby I could start a team Firechicken and add as many new crunchers/people as I can.........em maby i'm getting ahead of myself lol.

Martijn
09-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Hymay: the intel forum should be a nice place to find some puters, how would we ask and bring the info about wcg to these people withoput looking like a cold sales call? if we can find a really effecive way we should be able to bring alot of people in. I will do my best to let some people know about what we are doing here.

I still think stickies in a few of the most used forums is best. People decided to read them, and won't just get 'fed up' with them...

That would be these forums:

Xtreme Overclocking
Xtreme 3D Team
AMD Section
Intel Section
General Chat

[XC] hipno650
09-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I still think stickies in a few of the most used forums is best. People decided to read them, and won't just get 'fed up' with them...

That would be these forums:

Xtreme Overclocking
Xtreme 3D Team
AMD Section
Intel Section
General Chat

great idea!!!!