PDA

View Full Version : Scoring Systems UD vs Boinc

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Talking about the scoring system. I just am not getting this:
I understand that 7 UD credits = 1 Boinc credit.
I understand that if I crunch using either system, my score is reflected in both systems using the 7:1 ratio. Right? IF so, then how come:

itznfb
08-31-2006, 11:37 AM
interesting... they get about 2.5mil more daily UD than they should ?

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
interesting... they get about 2.5mil more daily UD than they should ?
CHEEETERS :) :)

I think there something there we do not yet understand about the system.

maybe UD crunching does not count in Boinc?

If so, do we have anyone crunching using UD client and thus not showing his scores at BOINC? That would be a big waste.

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-31-2006, 11:55 AM
i think BOINC reflects on UD but UD does not reflect on BOINC.

itznfb
08-31-2006, 12:11 PM
CHEEETERS :) :)

:rofl:

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM
i think BOINC reflects on UD but UD does not reflect on BOINC.

Ok. So is anybody on the XS team we know of is running under UD?

lv_dicedealer
08-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok. So is anybody on the XS team we know of is running under UD?

I think that Jose is with the sloth.... I'll ask him later today when I talk to him.

[XC] Adywebb
08-31-2006, 04:05 PM
@meshmesh

Teams have folks using both Boinc and UD clients, and if the majority still use the old UD client then Boinc credit may only be a small part of their overall WCG points total.

Using those daily figures in your post, Easy News scored 3 million total WCG points, of which boinc users contributed 80,477 boinc credits x7 = 563K WCG points - the UD client users therefore contributed the rest i.e. 2.5 Million points.

Many of the older established teams still have the majority of their members using the UD client as opposed to boinc.

XS of course will be near 99% Boinc I suspect, so if you multiply your daily boinc credits by 7 it will near as damn it equal your overall daily total.

itznfb
08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
so you're saying we have a major disadvantage by using BOINC?

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
No, I understand now. he is saying we have a good advantage. We run BOINC, get better scoring via the quorum than that of the UD client, and our credits are also multiplied by 7 and added to our UD client WCG score. So we score on both stats.

Thankfully, the Easynews falks that only run UD client, score only on the UD stats. A small minority of them run it on Boinc so the competion is smaller.

itznfb
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
yea, makes sense. sort of =\

[XC] Adywebb
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeh, it is a bit confusing with 2 different scoring methods!

When WCG first started they only had the UD client which produced a set amount of points- lets call them 'WCG points' - this is what is used for the overall WCG stats to determine position.

Then years later WCG decided to allow Boinc users to be able to contribute as well - however Boinc produces a different number of points , and after testing decided on a conversion factor of 1 Boinc credit = 7 WCG points so that they could be included in the overall WCG stats.

Boinc of course has its own type of stats for comparison against other Boinc projects and DC rankings at places such as BoincStats or Free-DC which are totally seperate and independent from the overall WCG points stats.

So, as a Boinc team you can compare yourself against other teams in two seperate ways - overall WCG points and/or Boinc points.

We are unlikely to be able to take Easy News in the overall WCG stats because of the lead they have and sheer numbers of members, however as the majority of their members still use the UD client - we could get to #1 as the top Boinc team :thumbsup:

ex2cib
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
i ran UD for an hour or so before i got tired of it.

one thing i noticed with UD (or at least on my system) was that the CPU never broke 66%

[XC] Adywebb
09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
one thing i noticed with UD (or at least on my system) was that the CPU never broke 66%
The UD client has a built in cpu throttle limiting it to 60% - to increase this up to 100% you need to download and run a throttle tool (http://worldcommunitygrid.org/files/WCGridMaxCPU.exe)

[XC] hipno650
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
The UD client has a built in cpu throttle limiting it to 60% - to increase this up to 100% you need to download and run a throttle tool (http://worldcommunitygrid.org/files/WCGridMaxCPU.exe)

most of easy news probably is running at 60%. which is bad for the casue but good for us:( :) however i would rather have them at 100% for the cause!!

[XC] Adywebb
09-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I suspect your right hipno650 - most Easy News members just install it and forget, they probably never even bother to check or are interested in the work being done or the points.

Its for those sort of people they brought this cpu throttle in for a couple of months ago - to ensure running it didn't interfere or slow down normal PC tasks and put potential crunchers off so they uninstalled it again.

Magnj
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Yea I ran the UD client for a day or so on my rig untill I realized BOINC is better.