PDA

View Full Version : Crunch3rs Optimizations w/WCG?

NickS
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I installed these, is this OK? :stick: I still host them if you all want me to post the links.

WesM63
08-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Nick,
I'm still using them as well. Don't know if it helps or not, i just did the same as with QMC. Detached the previous project and attached the new one.

Hymay
08-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I installed these, is this OK? :stick: I still host them if you all want me to post the links.
It helps occasionally, but not very often. Seems the quorum just grants everyone whatever the guy in the middle claims, so if 2 have opt clients, you get a major boost. Most of my connie claims are over 220, but usually get granted about 50-70. For those, we get 350 - 490 points for the WU. If you get another opt client, and get 180-220ish, then the WCG score would be 1260 - 1540! So its a huge difference, but happens only rarely. Not sure if they don't care, or if its just too small a chance for them to worry about.

NickS
08-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Sounds good :).

Added them to the How To Setup WCG sticky, thnx guys.

afireinside
08-31-2006, 12:20 AM
So is this like rosetta where you can run optomized files and 64 bit linux and steamroll people who have faster hardware? :(

Movieman
08-31-2006, 12:30 AM
So is this like rosetta where you can run optomized files and 64 bit linux and steamroll people who have faster hardware? :(
This is a quorum..They send the work units out to 3 people(machines)and you get the credit of the middle one..Fair? That you could argue from both sides..Personally, I like to get the exact credit for what I do, good or bad..
BUT, I can get over that for the sake of the science and the team..
In the long run a team with 1000 fast computers is going to get a lot more points than a team with 1000 slower machines..
This is XS..Who else can bring as high a percentage of top machines as this group can?
You want an idea of who some of these "other crunchers" are?
I just read on another forum a guy asking if XP supports more than one processor.....I rest my case..:p:

afireinside
08-31-2006, 12:50 AM
This is a quorum..They send the work units out to 3 people(machines)and you get the credit of the middle one..Fair? That you could argue from both sides..Personally, I like to get the exact credit for what I do, good or bad..
BUT, I can get over that for the sake of the science and the team..
In the long run a team with 1000 fast computers is going to get a lot more points than a team with 1000 slower machines..
This is XS..Who else can bring as high a percentage of top machines as this group can?
You want an idea of who some of these "other crunchers" are?
I just read on another forum a guy asking if XP supports more than one processor.....I rest my case..:p:

Just read some more on quorum and :slap: what a terrible scoring system :mad: I don't want to stress my hardware just to have some retard who doesn't know if XP supports SMP pull my score down.

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Just read some more on quorum and :slap: what a terrible scoring system :mad: I don't want to stress my hardware just to have some retard who doesn't know if XP supports SMP pull my score down.

If he is running a single WU and having the processor utilization at 50%, it does not reduce the claimed credit at all on the WU. In fact he runs a bit faster than your machine!

The fact is if yor PC is faster (stressed) it will still crunch more WUs and get more score at the end of the month propotunate to its MHz.
And if you use both processors, it will ~ double the credits. But his lack of knowledge about SMP has nothing to do with it.

If I am wrong, someone correct me please.

[XC] Adywebb
08-31-2006, 05:12 AM
Sounds about right to me movieman - you get the same as anyone else for a particular WU, as you have both done the same amount of work, but a faster machine will do more WU's a day, so gets more points overall.

itznfb
08-31-2006, 05:29 AM
i really have no problem with the quorum point system. faster/oc'd machines do more WU's, they get more points. yes, teams like ours have an advantage because we run tons of highly overclocked rigs.

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
i think that the more optimized rigs we run the better cuz if the middle person happens to be one of us then we get more points! so if say itznfb and i run optimized and we both get the same wu along with some guy form easynews and say i am the middle one the both ibznfb and i benifit for running optimized cilents!

itznfb
08-31-2006, 09:44 AM
i think that the more optimized rigs we run the better cuz if the middle person happens to be one of us then we get more points! so if say itznfb and i run optimized and we both get the same wu along with some guy form easynews and say i am the middle one the both ibznfb and i benifit for running optimized cilents!

i wonder what the chances of two of us getting the same WU are??

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 12:33 PM
low however if everyone on xs but the opties on all there rigs we have a greater chance of geting the points because it would span the whole team if you got the same one as anyone on the team the the chances of more points go up.

Movieman
08-31-2006, 12:48 PM
The one thing we can do to improve the odds for us is to get as many members and machines on this as possible..This is a wake up call for me. Time to get the small group on this. I'm seeing over 3 days an average of 1000 points a day on my DX2400 running 4 WU at a time. At this point I don't even know if thats good or bad. I did a some looking at the WU that I'd finished and the other people that did the same work unit and my "claimed" amount was generally twice what they claimed if not more.
Don't get me wrong, my DX2400 is a nice machine but I don't consider it extreme or bleeding edge at all..Truth is it's at least 2+ year old tech.
Just good two year old tech..:D

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
The one thing we can do to improve the odds for us is to get as many members and machines on this as possible..This is a wake up call for me. Time to get the small group on this. I'm seeing over 3 days an average of 1000 points a day on my DX2400 running 4 WU at a time. At this point I don't even know if thats good or bad. I did a some looking at the WU that I'd finished and the other people that did the same work unit and my "claimed" amount was generally twice what they claimed if not more.
Don't get me wrong, my DX2400 is a nice machine but I don't consider it extreme or bleeding edge at all..Truth is it's at least 2+ year old tech.
Just good two year old tech..:D
I have just printed a list of all my verified WUs. Will add the new ones to the spreadsheet. The problem is that the stats do not realy show you average scoring, at at least for a month until you can make a good estimate. Will give you a percentage in half an hour or so.

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
... At this point I don't even know if thats good or bad. I did a some looking at the WU that I'd finished and the other people that did the same work unit and my "claimed" amount was generally twice what they claimed if not more....
My stats below:

mike047
08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
As I see it, and please correct me if I'm wrong;

The qurom is used for BOINC credits and is NOT used for WCG credits. The WCG credits[the ones on the left side of the hash] are what is directly award to WCG stats[and is exactly the same].
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=wcg&team=XtremeSystems

the Boinc credit is substantially smaller[most of the time] and is what I see at Boinc stats.

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=bwcg&team=XtremeSystems

There is also the WCG stats but they are too hard for this old guy to use:D

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
I put the opt. file on the 1.3 T-bird box and got jack out of it. Guess it all depends on what packets and CPU you have. I put it on the opty 144 before it died and it did 25% better. What ever, never hurts I guess. Sides it is for a great cause. With my family history in cancer and beeing a smoker I will need it soon enough. :(

Edit: BTW what time does the stats update? I have had 0 today for a week and am crunching 24/7 on 3 boxes??? I am lost.

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
As I see it, and please correct me if I'm wrong;

The qurom is used for BOINC credits and is NOT used for WCG credits. The WCG credits[the ones on the left side of the hash] are what is directly award to WCG stats[and is exactly the same].
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=wcg&team=XtremeSystems

If you are running WCG under BOINC which I assume you are, then your score is calculated by the BOINC quorum (median). Your BOINC credit is then multiplied by 7 and added to your UD credit (the one you see at the free-DC stats).

So today you earned 11,000 BOINC credits (per BoincStats). This is the same as your 77,000 UD credits listed in Free-DC.

If you are running WCG using the UD client, then you get the UD credit but it is not reflected in your (or XS) Boinc stats.

And since Boinc quorum seems to award better credits that the UD client, there is no reason NOT to run under BOINC.

the Boinc credit is substantially smaller[most of the time] and is what I see at Boinc stats.

No. It is just a different scale. ! Boinc credit = exactly 7 UD credits. You crunch under Boinc and get both scores. Crunch under UD client and get 0 Boinc score (same as most the Easynews members who get 3 million UD credits and only 14,000 Boinc because most of them downloaded the UD client from the site).

There is also the WCG stats but they are too hard for this old guy to use:D
I follow the progress using BoincStats since this is what we are aiming for. We will never make Top in UD stats EVER.

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
I put the opt. file on the 1.3 T-bird box and got jack out of it. Guess it all depends on what packets and CPU you have. I put it on the opty 144 before it died and it did 25% better. What ever, never hurts I guess. Sides it is for a great cause. With my family history in cancer and beeing a smoker I will need it soon enough. :(

Edit: BTW what time does the stats update? I have had 0 today for a week and am crunching 24/7 on 3 boxes??? I am lost.

Are you running under BOINC? You don't have any stats. have you been running for the whole week, or just a few days?

Something is definitly wrong here.

Stats update 4 times a day. Logon to WCG and click "My Grid" and check your results: Device manager ==>Result Status.

Stats are updated 4 times a day every 6 hours, starting at midnight UTC.

Edit: Have you selected all the projects or only the FHP2? Look under "My Projects"

meshmesh
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
low however if everyone on xs but the opties on all there rigs we have a greater chance of geting the points because it would span the whole team if you got the same one as anyone on the team the the chances of more points go up.

Very low indeed. We return less than 4% of all daily BOINC credits.;)
Currently the chances are 1 in 8. See my post above in this thread (the table)

[XC] hipno650
08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
hey man 1 in 8 is better than i thought!!!! it's still more points!!!!! and whats the problem with putting opties on anyway? it costs nothing and it gives us more chances!