PDA

View Full Version : 2 week fedex delay over!! What to do now that tubes installed?

CrewXp
08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey. I was supposed to finish my computer over a week ago, but Fedex lost my graphics card and that messed up everything. I have all the tubes connected, clamped, tapped, and ready to go except the tubes connecting to the GPU cooler. Then the video card arrives (They found it in california... should be thurs or friday), I'm hooking the gpu cooler to it to see how long the cable needs to be. Heating it, Taping it, then clamping it.

Then what should I do after that? Do I just pour the distilled water and the additive in the reservoir, let it go down to the pump, turn the pump on so that it flows to the other components. Then that's it? Just wait and see for leaks?

Anyways, thanks alot. I'm hoping someone can verify I have it right.

ps: How much pentosin G12 additive should I add to my distilled water mix? Do I pour the water in first, then the additive or no. Thanks

ps2: My setup is like this:

Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU Cooler -> GPU Cooler -> Rad -> Reservoir

Nanometer
08-30-2006, 10:29 PM
If you are running all copper components then you could get away with just distilled water. That's how I am running things in my system. I replace my water every 3 months so I don't really worry about unknown species growing in my loop. Typically the res. is higher than everything else so you can get as many air bubbles as you can. Personally, I have it very low, and I have to play with it for a little bit so I can get as much water possible into the loop before I turn things on.

Some people like to mix the additive first so they can get the ratio they want. What makes sense to me is that you just put a few drops or however much you want, it doesn't need to be down to the mL.

To be checking for leaks you should be testing the loop outside the PC before you install everything.

Are you sure you read the stickies?

septim
08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
vinegar soaking on the rad...

simulate wire management issues, advance on the placement...

CrewXp
08-31-2006, 06:11 AM
yeah sorry. I've read all the stickies. I've already cleaned all the parts in vinegar for like 24 hours, then distilled water for 24 hours (extra long bc of extra long wait).

I installed the motherboard, cpu, power supply, and video card (fedex truck woke me up outside my place. I'm about to head down to the front desk to get my package).

I wanted to install the components to know exactly where the tubes and how long they should be. But I think I'll take my graphics card out, and leave my mobo and cpu in (take a chance).

I read that some people on the forum, leave their stuff in while testing. Some. Do leaks really happen that often to just go ahead and take out my motherboad when testing? If so... how do I mount the waterblock and cpu cooler without nothing to screw it onto?

1.) Anyways, about how much distilled water do you think I should put into a bin, so I can add my additive to it.
2.) And you're saying I can add as much additive as I want, just how ever much looks good?
3.) And no one really verified what my thought on the water installing process. "Do I just pour the distilled water and the additive in the reservoir, let it go down to the pump, turn the pump on so that it flows to the other components. Then that's it? Just wait and see for leaks?"

Thanks again a lot for all yalls help.

Marci
08-31-2006, 07:09 AM
1) Fill loop, empty into a bucket, measure. Reproduce that amount with clean water.
2) Look at additive instructions. If it says 10%, then work out what 10% of the water you have in your bucket is, and add that much additive. Different additives require a different amount. Not enough and they won't do their job. Too much and they'll foam like mad, coat the inside of everything with silicates, and reduce thermal performance of the water. If you can do it to the millilitre then you should.
3) Fill as much as you can with pump switched off. Switch pump on only when you can get no more in, then just leave it running whilst adding your coolant. Once full, switch off, let foam settle (if any present), then rotate case around thru all it's axis, noting any bubbles and chasing them round to res. Once all done, top res up one last time, and yer good to go.

Entire process should take 20mins tops from empty to coolant mixed and rig fully filled and bled.

septim
08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
i had my mobo-cpu-gpu installed when leak testing/bleeding...
some paper towels to check for leaks or wait for a leak
also found out that the usual standby of air bubbles would be the rad, so i had to put rad at lowest part of my loop (since it was hanging out the back) and tilted/rotated it so that air bubbles would escape...

its not like your running any power thru said components for electrical damage to occur. (barring you directing pump outlet at PSU...)

CrewXp
08-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks alot!! This helps!

my rad is currently on the bottom. Kinda like this. (attatched image).

I have it mouned an inch above using some stands. Then have it held down with industrial velcro. So should I take the velcro off and tilt the rad to get the bubbles out of there or should it be fine.

trance565
08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
nothing needs to be mounted to the hardware for leak testing.

what i did was, put mobo and components in, connect evthing to see how its gonna fit, connect tubes,wb,rad, pump, and res. take evthing out except psu (since its above where water will be dripping) and use the paperclip trick to turn it on and fill

CrewXp
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Here's the site for it.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/peg12coaduvr1.html

What exactly does it mean by 10% concentration. Thx

CrewXp
08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
nvm. got a blender. put all the g12 in, then filled the g12 bottle 9 times. mixed it together. Done

SiGfever
08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
nvm. got a blender. put all the g12 in, then filled the g12 bottle 9 times. mixed it together. Done
I hope that was an old blender. :eek:

SiGfever
08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
1) Fill loop, empty into a bucket, measure. Reproduce that amount with clean water.
2) Look at additive instructions. If it says 10%, then work out what 10% of the water you have in your bucket is, and add that much additive. Different additives require a different amount. Not enough and they won't do their job. Too much and they'll foam like mad, coat the inside of everything with silicates, and reduce thermal performance of the water. If you can do it to the millilitre then you should.
3) Fill as much as you can with pump switched off. Switch pump on only when you can get no more in, then just leave it running whilst adding your coolant. Once full, switch off, let foam settle (if any present), then rotate case around thru all it's axis, noting any bubbles and chasing them round to res. Once all done, top res up one last time, and yer good to go.

Entire process should take 20mins tops from empty to coolant mixed and rig fully filled and bled.

:worship: