PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro

ugp
08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone gotten one of these sweet pieces of machine? I so want one so badly...

When I get one...I am thinking two 23" Monitors would be better than the one 30"...what are your thoughts...same price for both either way...

But I would think a Dual 2.66, 2GB RAM, x1900XT would be awesome enough of a machine right there.

w00t!w00t!
08-29-2006, 07:50 PM
It would be an awsome machine

I rember seeing a site that had drivers for video cards so if you could just buy your own X1900XT it would be cheaper I also wouldn't get the 2GB from them

I'd personally go with the 2.0GHZ and have more hd space

ugp
08-30-2006, 04:33 PM
HDDs I already have...and the 2.66 would be a nice upgrade from 2.0

I would much rather get the video card preinstalled from them then I know I won't have any problems at all.

The RAM I might not get when I get one and then add my own later...

It is going to be quite some time before I get one by then I am sure they will have something much better out as well.

sauria
08-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Got one coming, will report when it's here.

Charles Wirth
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
My Mac Pro's arrived. picked up one of each speed.

Just got done setting up the raid drives using the onboard controller. It only allows raid 0 or raid 1

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=187959

This is the 2.0 with quad 250GB WD's

The machine boots in about 3 seconds flat after post diagnostics.

Mr. Popo
08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Sweet! :toast:
BTW, it's not a quad CPU system! just a dual DC. :stick:

ugp
08-31-2006, 06:36 PM
FUGGER can we get some more results when you get them...either in here or start other thread and post a link in here.

I am interested in how they perform and what not. What are you using to benchmark it.

icon57
09-05-2006, 09:47 AM
can someone recommend memory upgrade for the mac pro (3.0) ?
I saw some kingston 2 gb sticks on newegg, will those be a good choice?
and if i bought the x1900 from a 3rd party, will i be able to get the vid drivers?
or am i better to just get the vid card upgrade from mac?

lowfat
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
can someone recommend memory upgrade for the mac pro (3.0) ?
I saw some kingston 2 gb sticks on newegg, will those be a good choice?
and if i bought the x1900 from a 3rd party, will i be able to get the vid drivers?
or am i better to just get the vid card upgrade from mac?

pretty sure you should just be able to flash the bios on the 1900xt from newegg with a mac one to get it to work.

FragTek
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
i've been eyeing these baddies for a bit now too, just not sure if I can justify the expense at the moment. I'm still lusting over my MBP :p

lowfat
09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
i've been eyeing these baddies for a bit now too, just not sure if I can justify the expense at the moment. I'm still lusting over my MBP :p

I'd pick up a Mac Pro in a second, if you could overclock it :(

ugp
09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Give it time and I bet they will be overclocked...leave it up to FUGGER to do that! LoL

lowfat
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I got to fool around with a dual 2.66GHz, 1GB ram, 2TBs, 7300GT model here at work today :). I have never worked on an easier computer in my life. The hard drive bays are one of the smartest ideas I have ever seen. The SATA and power connectors are mounted to the case, and you just push the drive in, and you are done. I wish more PC case manufacturers would do something like this. I could remove and reinstall all 4 drives within 30 seconds. The ram risers are also quite nice. Quite easy access to the FB-DIMMs. The CPU heatsink (yes only one) is smaller than one of the heatsinks used on the PM G5s. The machine is damn quite too, 3 120mm fans and the PSU fan(s). One intake for the top section (videocard and most of the main logic board.) And one intake and one exhaust for the CPUs and the ram.

Charles Wirth
09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Just after a few days of setting up we had a RAID failure. Data corruption already has claimed it first victim. Lucky for us we didnt have much on it other than a fresh install of the OS and a few apps.

Mysql is too easy on OS X, apache and php are pre-loaded. Hopefully it was a defect in the HD, I will replace them and start over.

OSX on Mac Pro does not support RAID level 5

sauria
09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Just got mine Quad 2.66, 2G RAM, the thing is fast! Beats my Quad.

Charles Wirth
09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Boot camp works fine, you will have to slipstream the SATA drivers on the install but its pretty easy with instructions online.

Just need to do a PLL dump and send it to Franck with the numbers on the PLL. I wonder if can do a "universal binary" that would run under mac os.