PDA

View Full Version : Is YOUR PC HD-DVD/Blu-Ray ready? (requirements released)

Celeron Gamer
08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/diagnosis.jsp?Source=News

It seems Dual-core is required to play any of these disc.;)

SlicerSV
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
pft, that's only if you want to use cyberlink crap. i'm positive that as soon as VideoLan gets their hands on HD/BD devices to start coding support for these discs they'll require a lot less.

Celeron Gamer
08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
pft, that's only if you want to use cyberlink crap. i'm positive that as soon as VideoLan gets their hands on HD/BD devices to start coding support for these discs they'll require a lot less.

I wouldn't count on it, look at the DVD software today, they're not much different. You don't see one DVD software require 2.4GHz proc, while the other only needs 300MHz.

It's probably cyberlink :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up the diag, or cyberlink would go bankrupt

SlicerSV
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't count on it, look at the DVD software today, they're not much different. You don't see one DVD software require 2.4GHz proc, while the other only needs 300MHz.

Minimum: Intel Pentium III 866 MHz or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz or above (see note below)

What type of machine is your VLC (Linux version) running on and working? Pentium II

kthx

Celeron Gamer
08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
kthx

I used to have powerDVD, which PC speed did it run at? Celeron 633MHz, Cyrix II:rolleyes:

Again, they probably fubar'd the requirements, a stated requirement doesn't mean it's true, and I'd highly disbelieve that there are much to change significantly since reading, and identifying media are pretty much the same method.

SlicerSV
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
go give VLC a try, dude... it's so much better performing on lesser hardware than PowerDVD.

It's also capable of playing a whole lot more media than PowerDVD 7. PowerDVD 8 will of course be released soon with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD support, but it won't take too long before VLC devs get their hands on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray hardware and discs and makes support for it. and you wanna know what? adding this support isn't going to make one bit of difference to how the software performs on crappy hardware! Not for VLC, anyways, your beloved PowerDVD, otoh, is going to have drastic slow downs on hardware less than at least Athlon XP/P4. VLC is also free. PowerDVD? costs uber money. VLC also runs on various OS's, PowerDVD? windows only.

I'm sorry for bursting any bubble you had there, but if Blu-ray and HD-DVD really required that sort of processing power, how would they be able to incorporate it into those tiny little DVD players?

Celeron Gamer
08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
go give VLC a try, dude... it's so much better performing on lesser hardware than PowerDVD.

It's also capable of playing a whole lot more media than PowerDVD 7. PowerDVD 8 will of course be released soon with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD support, but it won't take too long before VLC devs get their hands on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray hardware and discs and makes support for it. and you wanna know what? adding this support isn't going to make one bit of difference to how the software performs on crappy hardware! Not for VLC, anyways, your beloved PowerDVD, otoh, is going to have drastic slow downs on hardware less than at least Athlon XP/P4. VLC is also free. PowerDVD? costs uber money. VLC also runs on various OS's, PowerDVD? windows only.

I'm sorry for bursting any bubble you had there, but if Blu-ray and HD-DVD really required that sort of processing power, how would they be able to incorporate it into those tiny little DVD players?

Do you live in a brick room? Cause I don't think my point is getting across. So you're 100% sure that when VLC supports blu-ray, and HD-DVD, that it is going to be much more efficient despite it runs with the same program architecture? I don't think the name "VLC" is enough to change anything, or your love for VLC.

btw, when did I get into a fanboy battle about software DVD players? Since when did the ability to run on multiple OS platforms make the player more efficient than another one? Or how open-source is going to make it more efficient?

Sorry, but you got wayyyyy of track. I'll send my point over again (hopefully over that wall now), is that their requirements are not 100% accurate. And just because it's "VLC" isn't going to make it much more efficient.

SlicerSV
08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Unlike you I have used the other players available. The difference is that VLC ISN'T using the same kind of software design. VLC is minimalist UI, or no UI at all, it's quite possible to run VLC without any graphical interface, but rather sending it remote signals from a command-line.

Because of this, VLC demands far less resources, it only demands the resources required to display the image and decode the input.

The new PowerDVD is going to introduce more visual pleasantness into the interface as well as the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray capability. THUS demanding MORE resources than was even previously demanded.

Has my point been made yet? If not, I guess I'm wasting my time trying to explain bloat to you.

krille
08-30-2006, 04:00 AM
In my experience VLC is versatile, efficient jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none software. However, the support of various formats is often half-assed and bugged, whereas a more specialized player (PDVD, WMP, Wiamp) plays it better (less stuttering etc). I'd say with VLC most any things work, however if they work on another player the other player usually does it better. When it comes to DVDs I always use VLC instead of PDVD (and I didn't pay anything, except bandwidth, for either - but I probably wouldn't pay for PDVD, if I had to).

SlicerSV > While VLC's standard GUI skin is very minimalistic (which I like), PDVD GUI isn't a very big resource hog at all. All it wastes is the developer's time and money...

~ Kris

oozberg
08-30-2006, 06:23 AM
The only situation I have ever noticed VLC using more cpu than a standard player + right codec is when I play a X264 stream. But I guess this won't last long.

But why use VLC when you can get MPlayer (Even less cpu usage) :D