PDA

View Full Version : 9800 pro vmodds

Barracuda
04-08-2003, 01:27 AM
whare can i find the best 9800 pro vmodd guide ?

Kurupt
04-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Xtremesystems.org staff member Mricee should have that guide out really soon. Please bare with us on this want to make sure everything is right for you guys.

Thnx
-Chris

Barracuda
04-08-2003, 01:30 PM
yes thank you m8 but tell me what is the best vmods?and where can i find to do them ?

Xenogias
04-08-2003, 04:23 PM
I just hope MrIcee and co. have found out a vdd vDDR and vref mod to go along with the vgpu. Those three mods combined were the only thing effective for increasing my mem speed over its stock voltage max.

Chong345
04-16-2003, 08:03 PM
The VGPU is easy. Its the same as the 9700. I'm wondering about the others myself.

Chong

Barracuda
04-16-2003, 09:35 PM
can you tell me the best way and the best link to find information ?

thank u

Chong345
04-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Here is a link for the VGPU mod.

LINK (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/R9700_Vmod_1.html)

This mod was originally for the 9700 but its the same on the 9800.

Chong

Hobocrow
04-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Chong345
The VGPU is easy. Its the same as the 9700. I'm wondering about the others myself.

Chong

Nice new scores! Congrats. :)

Did you measure the voltage on your 9800 card near where the metal plate is on the 9700? There are (6) pins in a row..I measured the 2nd, 4th and 6th pin. I got 1.692v, 1.691v, and 1.689v in that order. What did you get stock? I don't know which is what though. :confused:

Vref=1.409v and VDD=2.915v
HC

Chong345
04-19-2003, 06:09 PM
I forgot what the dedault voltage was. I get about teh same reading for all 3.

Chong

sysfailur
04-19-2003, 11:35 PM
COURTESY OF MACCI!

http://www.maximumoc.com (top post)

OR

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/sapphire_9800pro_setup/voltage_mods.jpg

Xenogias
04-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks Macci and sys!

Raptor
04-20-2003, 11:52 PM
BIG BUG Sysfailur, Macci is from finland, not sweden! ;)

sysfailur
04-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Raptor
BIG BUG Sysfailur, Macci is from finland, not sweden! ;)

OH MY GOD. WOW I AM DUMB! :P

vertices
04-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Quick question. I got the Vcore mod done to my 9800 but I want to do the VDD. I would rather use SMD grabbers to the leg of the IC for the VDD. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so which legs of the IC (next to the VDD points in Macci's above picture) I would attach this to?

This would help me a bunch. Thanx in advance.

will_perdikakis
04-29-2003, 12:40 PM
yes sir,

The vGPU mod is exactly the same as the mod for the R9700 and the Ti4600. That is, pin 18 from the SC1175CSW chip on the back of the card.

vertices
04-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanx man but I wanted to know about VDD. I already did the core. :)

Doomeous
05-05-2003, 08:24 AM
I take it you need to ground out pin18 to an actual case or mother board ground eh? I tried attaching a pot from pin 18 to 20 like my old 9700pro, but I could not get any appreciable voltage out of it. Maxing out the pot only gave me a very slight increase in voltage on the core from 1.72 to 1.8 is all...

Charles Wirth
05-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Doomeous, Welcome to XtremeSystems.

Yeah, you gotta ground the VR front or back pin and the center pin goes to pin18. I use the back leg on the VR so that CCW turns up the voltage and CW turns it down. Easier to keep track when you have more than one volt mod installed.

So take your 10K and set it to 10K, install it and test voltage. You should be close to stock voltage. Now turn off your machine and turn the dial CCW a little and repeat volt test. Go into benchmark app and test volt mod for no artifacting and increased performance. Kepp doing that till you get no more performance when adding voltage. Just dont go too high 1.9v on the core or 3.6v on the ram.

Doomeous
05-05-2003, 09:51 AM
mmm seems stock i get around 465ish, with my 1U all copper heatsink and a bigger fan slapped on..with the vmod'd core set at around 2v i can run about 481 just before a occasional 3dmark03 nature grass/water anomoly crops up. I tried a temp increase in voltage, it seems to help, but looks like for me to hit 500mhz core I would need in the 2.x volts range.. Prob be ok with a pelt/water cooling addon, but I'm running a Gbox blue cube, so those are not feesible with the room in my case..

Here is a question.. Have you hard core modders removed the shim on the 9800? Mine seems to be attached pretty solid. I initially tried an exacto knife, but it is a pain to remove. So for now I just plopped on the sink. I would rather remove it though(I could always glue it back had i need to send it back for some reason).

Any suggestions on removing it?

Charles Wirth
05-05-2003, 10:01 AM
My core is slightly raised so I do not need to remove shim. It should come off like the 9700Pro's.

Sounds like you need more cooling if you are breaching 1.8v and not breaching 500Mhz core.

Doomeous
05-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Nm it popped off right off the bat this time I inpsected it.

Yea, could be a cooling issue.. I just figured if i can reach 465 with the stock fan/sink that for sure I could hit 500 with this much better copper 1U heatsink..

vertices
05-05-2003, 12:31 PM
FUGGER-- so can I do the same thing for VDD in this picture?

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/sapphire_9800pro_setup/voltage_mods.jpg

I'd really like to just attach a pot to leg 18 on the chip right above the right most solder point for VDD.

Can you confirm that if I attach a pot to leg 18 of that chip that it will allow VDD to be adjusted? I just don't want to fry this new 9800. :) Thanx.

Doomeous
05-06-2003, 12:29 AM
ok, turns out I didnt need so much voltage, i have it set at 1.85 with a core speed of 481. no too shabby for my smallish but decent copper heatsink. Now on to the memory, I'm stuck stock at 360.. As the previous post asked, can a pin 18 pot fix the voltage for vdd?

BLHealthy4life
05-06-2003, 08:14 AM
I see the picture but do not understand what it is saying to do. I've got an OC System Level 2 card that I would like to get more performance with. 'm a total noob at this and want to learn. I've searched and searched and read many threads and forums/websites. Very hard to try and peice together and decipher all of the info. I can't access MrIcee's 9700 Pro guide for some reason. When I click the link, it says that I can't directly access this file. What do the Vref, Vddq, and other such abbreviations mean?? I'm going to try the Vgpu (know that one) with the guide on http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/R9700_Vmod_1.html

Please help me when and if you can. Thanks!

rabeb25
05-06-2003, 08:53 PM
bump I was wondering what the rest of the mods do besides the easy ones like gpu, and mem also.

Manoj
05-10-2003, 09:36 PM
What does Vref and VDDQ do?

I have asked someone to mod the card for me.

I gave him the picture that Macci posted for us.

I was asked if the VDDQ and Vref was needed or not.

What are these 2 things? Can someone explain??

I think I will go ahead and have them modded with a variable resistor, so that I can adjust them later if needed.

BLHealthy4life
05-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Ok, I've learned A LOT in the last few days and have done two volt mods to my card successfully and with good results. This is just the beginning. I've got a thread started on Rage3D for us newbies on volt modding.

VDDQ: Vddq is the mod under the silver plate. The Vddq chip is the chip that provides regulation of voltage for I/O circuits of the graphics memory chips; it's covered with the plate for better heat dissipation. I've read many many many threads over the last week and have come to find out that a safe number for this voltage is less than or equal to 3.00v. Xbitlabs has thiers set to 3.19, this is not recommended but it worked for them.

Some people report performance gains with this mod while others do not.

NOTE: The metal plate is GLUED to the chips using some type of heat glue. I took a flashlight and looked under the plate the other day, and yes this plate is glued to two chips that I could see, not to mention it appeared that it's glued to the PCB on the edges in two spots - or these could simply be rubber like resting posts for the plate. Be VERY careful when removing this plate so that you do not literally rip off any of your chips!

VREF: Vref I'm not sure of. I know that this mod is known to be somewhat dangerous and voltage is a little more tricky. This mod according to posts has been known to smoke many cards if over volted. The safe voltage for this mod is around 1.50v, seems 1.495v is the best voltage and is recommended by the most expereinced; not recommendedto be any higher.

NOTE: ---> It seems that a very good rule of thumb for Vref is to keep it's voltage less than or equal to half the voltage of Vddq. <---
Going over this ratio seems to be very dangerous and actually will not help performance but hender it.

I have not done the Vref and Vddq mods yet, though I will next week. No electronics store had the trimmers that I needed so I had go online, research, order, and now I'm waiting for them.

Hope this helps some! Take care.

quicksilverXP
05-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Can anyone post pics of a 9800 Pro mod? I don't quite understand the mod guide by Macci as I am used to soldering potentiometers to Chip legs and not solder points. Can anyone give me more information as to what chip legs to solder to for all foud mods. This is how I did my 9700 pro, so I'd rather do it this way knowing I'm comfortable with it... thanks in advance.

TiTaNiUm
05-31-2003, 10:39 AM
What would be the 2 Most performance enhancing mods of the 4???

TiTaNiUm
05-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Well QuickSilver, it seems YOU hold the key...I understand that all the mods are the same as the 9700, but the chips are layed out differently....like the chip for the V-core was turned sideways...if you hooked grabbers to the chips for V-ref, V-dd, and V-ddq, i am interested in what chip and what leg you did this to on the 9700...If someone knows this to be untrue, (being able to do this on a 9800) please post so...:cool: :cool:
:flame: < dont want THIS to happen