PDA

View Full Version : Is my PSU killing my graphics card??!!

spug
08-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone. Recently upgraded my system to an e6600 @3.3, 2gb corsair ram, p5w-dh, his iceq3 x1900xt. Also got 2xsata hds, audigy 2, etc....

Anywayz, my point is that I got a new psu about a year ago - an antec neopower480watt. It was fine for my 9800pro and 2.4c@3.4. A few days after i setup my system my card started artifacting in game 3 and 4 of 3dmark06, and in farcry when hdr was enabled. I sent the card back, and got a new one a few days later. Again, after a few days, the card started doing the same thing again!! I thought this was very strange....so Im thinking could my psu be killing my vid card?? The x1900xt requires a min of 30A on the 12v rail. My psu has dual rails with 18 on one, and 15 on the other...so a total of 32a...so its in spec, and anywayz, it is a good high quality psu.

Do you reckon this could be happening....have any of u guys had a psu kill a card? I just find it really strange that two cards would have exacty the same fault!

...I emailed antec support, and the guy said he doesnt think its powerful enough, and that i should get a 500w psu...I mean...20w...come on, surely...?! I specifically researched when i bought the psu, to support a new high end card!

Anywayz....any ideas?

...much appreciated,

dug :)

johneva
08-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Its not killing them just under powering them I would think, X1900Xts are very power hungry and depending on just what else it is running and the true wattage of the PSU I would say that is your problem.

Remember just cos the manufacturer says it is 480watt dont mean it is. ;)

heydo6
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
just sell that one on ebay a get a bigger one than you will need just in case .

spug
08-26-2006, 11:23 AM
...cheerz for the quick replies guys!

...just a coupla things...both my x1900xts that ive had have been physically damaged...either cause they were faulty, or because my system killed them. I put the card in other systems, and the artifacting would not go away. The company I bought it from also tested them and found them to be faulty...so somehow they are being damaged, or simply because i got a coupla rotten ones.

...as i said, the psu is in spec for the card....even atis site claims u only need a min of 500w for crossfire (obviously they are good makes), so a good 480 should be enough for one!

....maybe just my specific psu overvolts down the peg power cable....??!! :-\ ...or maybe its the mobo..??!!