PDA

View Full Version : OS X Tweaks & Cleaning Up

ugp
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Was wondering any good tips or links to websites that offer some good tweaks. I assume any OS is tweakable. And I have noticed alot of useless files within OS X that can be deleted...like 2GB of printer drivers...

I am just really looking to lighten my load on the HDD. I like as little as possible installed on it.

Thanks for your help as always.

selectodude
08-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Monolingual deletes extra languages.
Printer driver removal program: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26660
OnyX is a great OS optimiser too.

ugp
08-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks man. Those programs worked very well. I removed only 300MB in language files. And I freeed up 2GB deleting printer drivers.

Is there anything else I can delete from the system that is preloaded in OS X?

I love OnyX too.

Thanks again man.

Pressure
08-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks man. Those programs worked very well. I removed only 300MB in language files. And I freeed up 2GB deleting printer drivers.

Is there anything else I can delete from the system that is preloaded in OS X?

I love OnyX too.

Thanks again man.

GarageBand and its 2GB worth of samples?

To give you a quick overview of what uses up your precious space, I suggest giving OmniDiskSweeper a look.

A great tool to see what is using your hard disk space.

ugp
08-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks man. I have over 50GB.

I have only about 5GB of my 40GB of my music and about 2GB of photos. I am doing pretty good so far.

selectodude
08-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Delete Garageband:
-Delete garageband app
-Library/Application Support/Garageband/
-Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

ugp
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah I did that...I don't think I will be using GarageBand anyway...

selectodude
08-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Anything else you want to delete? When I get a new Mac, I reinstall the OS w/o languages and printer drivers, pick the iLife apps I want to use, and get all that crap I don't want on there off. So easy.

ugp
08-27-2006, 06:20 AM
I did notice the themes for iMovie are pretty damn big. But I will use those.

I am sitting well now.

I have over 7GB of data just sitting on my HDD for seeding and about 5GB of Music and about 2 GB of Photos. All the rest is taken up by OS and Apps.

I do have Apps like PhotoShop and Office 2004 installed.