PDA

View Full Version : Antec Truepower 2.0 550 (56k Pwned)

join nbk
08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Im still working on this, pelase post errors/problems/things i need to add
Place Of purchase: Frys Electronics
Price: 120.00
Date : 8/25/06
Product: Antec Truepower 2.0 550 Watt SLI Power Supply

So, I had my old power supply go out, and was in the market for a new one. I decided to take a look on many sites, and look for a decent power supply. I found that the Antec Truepower 550 met my needs. The system I am running consists of the following

AMD X2 3800+ overclocked to 2.8 GHZ at 1.4 volts
2 GB of Mushkin Enhanced PC 4000 2x 1GB
2 BFG 7800GTs in SLI
DFI Expert
250 GB SATA Western Digital 16MB cache
And a 120 GB Seagate 8MB cache IDE Hard drive

First Impressions

So, I first open the dull looking box up, and I see that this Power Supply is very small, and is heavy. I decided that I would install it, and see how it runs,

http://www.poopyourpants.net/pics/XS/antec%20box.JPG

Installation

I installed the Power Supply with ease, but I had difficulty organizing the wires. I figured I would leave the wires for now, and test out this PSU,

http://www.poopyourpants.net/pics/XS/antec%20installed.JPG

First Boot

I started up the computer with no problems, and I decided form there on, I would break out the multimeter. I came up with the following voltages at idle

Idle in windows
3.3 volt line
5.0 volt line
12 volt line #1
12 volt line #2

http://www.poopyourpants.net/pics/XS/12.8.JPG
http://www.poopyourpants.net/pics/XS/5.12.JPG

After this, I decided, I would run prime 95 on the processor. I used 2 instances to properly load the CPU.

3.3 volt line
5.0 volt line
12 volt line #1
12 volt line #2

Now, I was thoroughly amazed with this, and I was surprised no other rails took a hit in voltage.

Next I ran 3dmark05

3.3 volt line
5.0 volt line
12 volt line #1
12 volt line #2

http://www.poopyourpants.net/pics/XS/12.9.JPG
Now, I am thoroughly amazed with this Power Supply. I am thoroughly impressed with Antec, and think they made a really decent product that takes what you dish out at it.

Good job Antec.

The PSU itself, is very quiet, not even realizing it is on when i short it out to start it. The fans spin at a very low PRM, and according to the PSU RPM reading 500-700 RPM. I personally think that this is by far also, the quietest PSU i have ever owned. Over the few days i have had it running, it has given me no problems, and also, has lowered case temps by almost 3c. Apparently, the fan at the bottom of the Power Supply sucks the warm air from the CPU and uses that as fresh air, to cool the PSU. The one thing i do not like, is that the PSU runs oddly hot. I contacted antec, and i got the following response "It is normal for the Power Supply Unit to reach high temperatures, if it shall reach too high, the unit will increase fan speed."

Jupiler
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Pics are to big, please resize them to 800*600 or 1024*768.
Not everyone has a 20" or 24" widescreen lcd. ;)

masterofpuppets
08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Resize the pics.. and I found an error ;) You spelt please wrong on the first line. Plus, I thought you said you "stole" your Antec 550 from your aunts computer and replaced it with a 350. O.o Either way, at least you took the time to write it all out. :)

oohms
08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
nice review :D
I was thinking about getting either this or the themaltake 750w for an x1900xt CF setup

WeStSiDePLaYa
08-25-2006, 11:05 PM
psu reviews dont mean anything without inside shots to see build quality. staying within rail spec isnt much of an achievement, i have 15$ psu's that can do that.

NickS
08-25-2006, 11:07 PM
It is fairly impressive that it can power a dual core SLi setup without even dropping on the rails.

join nbk
08-26-2006, 01:44 AM
yeah

it was new in box

im building my aunt a computer, and got a PSU like this for her, becuase, i figured, it should work well, and is dependable, (she does photoshop and vid editing). Either way, i didnt get her a processor yet, nor a GFX card, so i decided to just use this for the meantime, with premission

funkflix
08-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Resize pics!

perry_78
08-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Resize.

yaddam205
08-26-2006, 06:22 AM
psu reviews dont mean anything without inside shots to see build quality. staying within rail spec isnt much of an achievement, i have 15$ psu's that can do that.

Same, I have a :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty raidmax in my router/home ftp and it sticks to specs. but of coruse it weighs only half a lb lol.

join nbk
08-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Same, I have a :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty raidmax in my router/home ftp and it sticks to specs. but of coruse it weighs only half a lb lol.
ok, than XS can provide me with a new one if it burns out?

nope, i cant, and wont.

I cant afford this one, to be honost.

afireinside
08-27-2006, 09:26 AM
ok, than XS can provide me with a new one if it burns out?

nope, i cant, and wont.

I cant afford this one, to be honost.

How do you 'burn out" a PSU by opening it up and taking a few macro shots? If you're afraid to open a PSU maybe you shouldn't be reviewing it.

eddieate
08-27-2006, 09:47 AM
How do you 'burn out" a PSU by opening it up and taking a few macro shots? If you're afraid to open a PSU maybe you shouldn't be reviewing it.

lol, "theres nasty voltages in there!!":sofa:
I killed a psu that way once, to be fair I had modded it to turn on an off with a switch and put power terminals on the top then wrapped it up with duck tape :D
Ed.

[cTx]Philosophy
08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice work ryan, decent little review man, try and keep the pics viewable to others here and I think you mighta got a better responce..

LOL he told me over AOL im that he loves this psu, its sooo much faster than his ocz 520 :P

Ida added it to my siggy if itd been said thru the forums, it was quite a good laugh..

join nbk
08-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Nice work ryan, decent little review man, try and keep the pics viewable to others here and I think you mighta got a better responce..

LOL he told me over AOL im that he loves this psu, its sooo much faster than his ocz 520 :P

Ida added it to my siggy if itd been said thru the forums, it was quite a good laugh..
My ocz had issues from the start i bet, as for some odd reason, im getting a better overclock at the same volts, and personally, john, I myself think that this chip with this PSU will pull 3ghz at stock. I am trying now, i just dont have the balls nor time to push it that far. I tested the rails on here, and i am shocked with the stability of this powersupply. If i didnt know better, this could power 2 GX2s no problem i bet. The only thing i do not like, is it being quiet, i like my psu to stay cool, and to have fast fans, it wont run the fans fast at all, and it annoys me becuase i frankly think that it should, and to top it off, becuase it dosent suck the hot air from the cpu. It makes my case temps rise a tad, nothing to get alamed about or to change my decision, just enough to be annoying.

elec999
08-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think this is really important. But hows the noise level of this power supply.
Thanks

[XC] Lead Head
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think this is really important. But hows the noise level of this power supply.
Thanks

Dead silent, even in a baking 44*C case

swifty11212
08-27-2006, 06:19 PM
that little review is pretty nice although it lacks most features of what a traditional review has, eh that psu is better then my antec truepower 550w esp12v that gives 11.90v on the 12v line when powering my 7800gtx in sli and its 36amps too, meh. i think ill look in to that psu if the price is right, otherprices im going for power pc and cooling hehe.

think you can add more pics and writing to the review? id love to see more on that psu :) oh btw although the majority does have a 20"+ monitor im sure that most members do use monitors that have 1600x1200 res hehe.

[cTx]Philosophy
08-27-2006, 06:33 PM
I remember a post way back and if I remember correctly most were 1280X1024

WeStSiDePLaYa
08-27-2006, 07:08 PM
lol, "theres nasty voltages in there!!":sofa:
I killed a psu that way once, to be fair I had modded it to turn on an off with a switch and put power terminals on the top then wrapped it up with duck tape :D
Ed.
lol, ive opened up psus and replaced input and output caps, added a common mode choke, and some more A/C filtering to the psu im using now (mishkin hp-550), and its still kicking,

LordofDoom
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I have this ps and I LOVE IT

K.I.T.T.
08-31-2006, 01:16 AM
I have this ps and I LOVE IT
Seconded. A great little PSU. Quieter than a dead horse under full load. :toast:

drwowe
08-31-2006, 07:24 AM
I have this PSU too, very nice and quiet, and the cables are plenty long enough for use inside an Antec 180B case.

One thing concerns me: If I upgrade to one of these newer mobos with an 8-pin 12V CPU line, will I have to replace the PSU? Or is there some adapter which can work with this?

K.I.T.T.
08-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I have this PSU too, very nice and quiet, and the cables are plenty long enough for use inside an Antec 180B case.

One thing concerns me: If I upgrade to one of these newer mobos with an 8-pin 12V CPU line, will I have to replace the PSU? Or is there some adapter which can work with this?
The PSU already has 8 pin EPS :stick:

eddieate
08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
lol, ive opened up psus and replaced input and output caps, added a common mode choke, and some more A/C filtering to the psu im using now (mishkin hp-550), and its still kicking,

I forgot duck tape conducts :rolleyes:

drwowe
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
The PSU already has 8 pin EPS :stick:

No. There are 2 seperate models, only one of them has EPS.

TP2-550EPS12V model does
TP2-550 model does not.

See http://www.antec.com/us/pro_p_TPII.html

I have the model that does not. Can it be converted with an adapter cable?

[cTx]Philosophy
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM
LOL hes banned again?

What he do this time?

NickS
08-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Being him, I'm afraid.

Sorrow13
09-01-2006, 12:10 AM
ive got the atx 1 version, non eps. works great for what i need. Mobo reports a bit low on 12v rail under load, but i have a feeling its the mobo, not ps.

Super quiet , as stated, though noise doesnt bother me much.

halo112358
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
These are on sale at newegg for $65 right now..

K.I.T.T.
09-02-2006, 06:16 AM
No. There are 2 seperate models, only one of them has EPS.

TP2-550EPS12V model does
TP2-550 model does not.

See http://www.antec.com/us/pro_p_TPII.html

I have the model that does not. Can it be converted with an adapter cable?
Oh right. I thought you meant the PSU in this thread. :)

you don't need an adapter...most boards should run on 4 pins fine, like the way 24 pin MoBos ran on 20 pins. I tried it myself on a DQ6. Ran fine with either 4 or 8 pins.

EDIT:

He's banned? Again? :slapass:

Sparky
09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
so what is the main difference between the Antec 550W truepower 2 that he reviewed and the Antec 550W Trupower II (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931) besides the number of fans? :confused: I went with the TPII since it was a couple bucks cheaper than the TP2 and had a better rating on newegg (5 egg average vs 4 egg). I know that shouldn't be the deciding factor but I'll admit it did influence me a little :rolleyes: BTW the TPII is dead silent as well.

Nosfer@tu
09-06-2006, 03:50 AM

you don't need an adapter...most boards should run on 4 pins fine, like the way 24 pin MoBos ran on 20 pins. I tried it myself on a DQ6. Ran fine with either 4 or 8 pins.

EDIT:

He's banned? Again? :slapass:

He lies to much dude ;)

Ne need to fill up the fora with someone that lies ALL the time :);)

drwowe
09-06-2006, 07:52 PM

The thread topic is "Antec Truepower 2.0 550" which is exactly what I have. All you with the EPS12v edition are posting in the wrong thread. :nono: :cool:

But seriously, thanks for the info. :toast: Does 8 pins just give more stable power or something?

K.I.T.T.
09-07-2006, 02:54 AM
The thread topic is "Antec Truepower 2.0 550" which is exactly what I have. All you with the EPS12v edition are posting in the wrong thread. :nono: :cool:

But seriously, thanks for the info. :toast: Does 8 pins just give more stable power or something?
Check the pic on the box on 1st page. Lower left hand corner. :hrhr:

:D

Not sure, but i think 8 pins give more reliable power, and it's a good idea to have a PSU that supports it. I wouldn't recommend using an adaptor. using a normal 4 pin PSU would be safer than using a 4 pin PSU with an 8 pin adaptor.

nanashi
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
ive got the atx 1 version, non eps. works great for what i need. Mobo reports a bit low on 12v rail under load, but i have a feeling its the mobo, not ps.

Super quiet , as stated, though noise doesnt bother me much.

I have the eps one, and it also reports a lil low on the 12v rail. 3.3v rail also reports at about 3.31. all other rails are either perfect or just a tad over. I should also mention Im using it on an old 20pin mobo system. But it is really really quiet, and it does run hot. But there are mobo pugins to monitor the fan speeds, and Ive even seen the little brown temp sensors(at least I think that's what they are?) connected to the fans, so Im sure the speed would increase if it got too hot. I've never smelled any burning or melting.