PDA

View Full Version : RedHat 9

mccompunerd
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
wow, just had to share, looks like i'll actually have at least 2 of the 3 RedHat 9 discs on the day they became available... heh, found a server that's letting me keep a sustained transfer of 150+ KB/s, but i'm only gonna be able to get two of 'em going before i have to leave...(one file at a time, if i try to put the other one in queue it makes the server time-out on the first one...) well, just thought i'd share my good luck... too bad i can't run an ftp server(against isp policy), else i'd serve 'em up myself to anybody on here that wanted 'em... ah well, off to watch the oh-so lovely download speeds go :D :banana:

JAWS
04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
just did the same thing.....downloaded one iso at a time.

Smizack
04-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it's a pain that they have to be that large, but I get em 1 at a time also.

mccompunerd
04-07-2003, 12:38 PM
well, i found 3 good servers, and now have all 3 iso's :D... my cd burner is dead, and the iso's are on my linux box, so i'm gonna drop 'em on an extra hd i've got laying around and burn them over at a friends house... hopefully install in the next couple of days... i might also see about borrowing a system from the same friend, and run F@H on it, it's a 1.4 p3, but right now is just sitting idle in his closet... we'll see... anyways, can't wait to see what improvements redhat 9 carries...

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Well, I found out another neat little trick to obtaining redhat9. Open internet explorer, in the address bar type: ftp.redhat.com. Then once you hit enter, you will automatically connect with the redhat server. Dbl click on "pub", "redhat", "Linux", "9", "en", "iso", "i386", and then the 2nd through 4th files are three iso images of Redhat 9 available to copy directly from their server into your files. After you've accomplished transfering, they are already setup to burn to disk. I have easy cd creator, so I dbl clicked on each image with a blank cd in my burner and the ecdc window came up and from there I was able to proceed with burning to cd.

now if we could just get one or morre of our Linux gurus to post a starters "how-to" as far as what to do from first attempting to boot with a formatted hdd, to setup, etc... I've burned all three cd's and really have no idea what to do from this point on. I'm going to attempt to initially boot from a w98se boot disk, and try to load the three cds and see where that takes me from there. Any and all help from this point on would definitely be greatly appreciated, since I have no manmuals and no clue:confused: :p :D

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Well, next you boot to the cd. Not a boot disk, Linux dosen't use Fat32 or ntfs, therfore a windows boot disk is tottaly irrelivent.
Installation is very simple. You can partition the drive(s) yourself or have disk druid do it automatically. I'd reccomend DD if you've never done it or don't understand the linux file system.

But if you've got 1 hard drive and only want to run linux on it, you're all set.;)

If you can install windoze, you can install linux.

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:32 PM
well, I've spent the last 15 minutes in dos browsing the directory of cd1, and finally found the proper initiating file to get it to run. So now I've tested all three cds and they test out fine. So now I'm proceeding with the first cd, running the setup. Keep the advice coming, cause I'm proceeding completely blind;) :D

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, this isn't so bad yet. It seems alot like windows, I was expecting complete dos like interface where I would have to type in the command prompts for every step. But just the opposite, it's using the mouse and I'm just clicking buttons to proceed:rolleyes: (I know, what a Newb!!!) ;) :p

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:41 PM
I know how you feel.;)

Just boot to it, and follow the instructions basically.

I found out it was easier to set it up as a server system rather than a workstation. That way you don't have to go back and figure out what all dependancies a program needs and then get and install them. You pretty much have it all there. And I made a name or 2 but I mostly use root because it's just easier to deal with.
And the only other thing I can think of is graphical or text login. That just kinda depends on what you want, and it can be changed later by the runlevel.

You got Aim? pm me. It's under Shiznizzler.

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
Well, this isn't so bad yet. It seems alot like windows, I was expecting complete dos like interface where I would have to type in the command prompts for every step. But just the opposite, it's using the mouse and I'm just clicking buttons to proceed:rolleyes: (I know, what a Newb!!!) ;) :p

lmao! It isn't Cisco man!:D

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
I see that, Well this is how I looked at it, if walmart is selling systems w/ this on it and expecting the general public to be able to figure it out, Then damnit, I can too;)

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I see that, Well this is how I looked at it, if walmart is selling systems w/ this on it and expecting the general public to be able to figure it out, Then damnit, I can too;)

Yeah, but I don't like Lindows. If you're gonna use Linux, use Linux.;)

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
Yeah, but I don't like Lindows. If you're gonna use Linux, use Linux.;)

Ok, words of wisdom, I'll heed the advice:)

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm almost through the first cd installation ( I know, I sound like a little kid with a new toy ;) ), and it's a lot smoother than I expected. I formated the hdd with the linux setup util;ity, and have made it through the process of getting to actually loading the os on there. What the h*ll does it mean in the little window while installation is taking place "your lucky numbers", just curious to what that was refering to?

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Ok, words of wisdom, I'll heed the advice:)

Well, I mean it works, but if you want any "extras" like.. mp3 players, or mpg players *off the top of my head* you gotta pay for them.

But there's no sence in it, because all the "modding" the did are just themes basically. And you can do and endless ammount with linux themes. So why pay for it when you don't have to?
I made Redhat 8.0 look just like lindows in about 20 minutes.:rolleyes:

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:54 PM
What the h*ll does it mean in the little window while installation is taking place "your lucky numbers", just curious to what that was refering to?

Not sure, I haven't been through a rh9 install yet.:mad:

But probably just for shts n giggles I assume.

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Well, I mean it works, but if you want any "extras" like.. mp3 players, or mpg players *off the top of my head* you gotta pay for them.

But there's no sence in it, because all the "modding" the did are just themes basically. And you can do and endless ammount with linux themes. So why pay for it when you don't have to?
I made Redhat 8.0 look just like lindows in about 20 minutes.:rolleyes:

that's cool, this is just a little project for me. i'm not really interested yet in all that other junk, I'm loading this on one of my dedicated folders just to learn linux. i removed the hdd I had in it that contained w2k and all the folding stuff, and threw in another 4,3 ide hdd just for linux. Btw, I'm doing this on a dual pen pro 200 hp vectra. Will linux automatically install their version of dual proc support?

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:58 PM
that's cool, this is just a little project for me. i'm not really interested yet in all that other junk, I'm loading this on one of my dedicated folders just to learn linux. i removed the hdd I had in it that contained w2k and all the folding stuff, and threw in another 4,3 ide hdd just for linux. Btw, I'm doing this on a dual pen pro 200 hp vectra. Will linux automatically install their version of dual proc support?

Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem.

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Not sure, I haven't been through a rh9 install yet.:mad:

But probably just for shts n giggles I assume.

Yeah, that's what it seems like to me too. Right after I asked that, the window changed to some more useless jargon, some eye candy while the install takes place:rolleyes:

Smizack
05-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that's what it seems like to me too. Right after I asked that, the window changed to some more useless jargon, some eye candy while the install takes place:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's just a time killer then. RH8 talks about the server edition and stuff like that.

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Btw, thanks for all the advice so far. This thing is definitely taking it's time installing. The progress bar is flying through the files, but there's a helluva lot of them;) I'm still on the first cd

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 07:03 PM
And I don't know if this makes a diff, but I chose to proceed with just the standard home user install instead of server or what other options there was. There was like 6 of them to choose from. I would imagine I can change that later without having to do the entire setup proceedure again right?

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 07:05 PM
And hey Sjohnson, you've been awfully quiet, but I've noticed you've been here reading up on what we're talking about. Now I know you're a linux guru, any other helpful advice? :D

Smizack
05-12-2003, 07:08 PM
And I don't know if this makes a diff, but I chose to proceed with just the standard home user install instead of server or what other options there was. There was like 6 of them to choose from. I would imagine I can change that later without having to do the entire setup proceedure again right?

Yeah, it's not nessisary. You can go back and install anything you want later on, It's just kind of a hassle at times.

And yeah, Sjohnson is the man!:thumbsup:

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 07:26 PM
D*mn that first cd took forever to load, I'm just now starting on the second. Thought I'd throw that update in here;) :p

wdd1040
05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
RH9.0 is awesome.

You know, Tweaked!, you could have done a text only install.... :)
The home install should take the whole 2nd cd and about 5 files from the third, you'll be done in no time.

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 07:49 PM
yeah, I'm finished with the install now and rebooting system. Second cd went fairly quick and thrid cd only needed 3 files for about 3mbs of info:rolleyes: So far so good:D

Tweaked!
05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Update: I'm currently typing this from the Linux box:banana: :D :thumbsup:

Everything pretty much went smooth enough, first reboot kind of sucked, it wouldn't load the gui on it's own, so I inserted the boot disk and it still wouldn't boot. So I had to override the boot parameters and then it went just fine. It is now running smoothly in RH9:D

Mozilla is definitely weird after being used to IE and Opera. But I can used to it:cool:
Tomorrow night I'll proceed with installing F@H, but I'm curious to how I can check on cpu usage and that sort of stuff. With windoze, all I had to do is open task manager and it reported both cpus. Guess it will just take some more knowledgeable advice, and plenty of hunt-n-pecking:D :cool:

wdd1040
05-12-2003, 09:37 PM
linuxnewbie.org should help some too. Also, linux forums are like a God-send. When in doubt, use the kill command. :D

sjohnson
05-13-2003, 03:10 AM
For cpu usage, open a command window and run top. Read up on it's options, you can change the view on-the-fly as well.

Tweaked!
05-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Ok, got some more questions here. How fo I bring up a command prompt. I'm trying to figure out how to get F@H to work on it, but Sjohnsons directions in the state that first you have to open a command propmt window, I cannot find any such application choice.

Second, this thing will not boot from hdd, installation went beautifully, but it will only boot from the bootable floppy I made during installation. Wassup with dat?

Third, When I open the task monitor, it only shows one cpu. Is it supposed to do that? I've installed this on a dual pen pro HP vectra (as stated earlier in thread). All indications show that it is only recognizing one cpu.

So now I've got it booted up as root user, and I'm completely loaded into the main window. From here I'm lost. I can figure out how to surf the web w/ Mozilla, and simple things. But I cannot find the command prompt window (i'm assuming that I'm looking for something like what msdos would be in windows). throw me some bones here, I'm lost and I can't get up;) :p

mccompunerd
05-13-2003, 11:37 AM
dang, this thread grew while i was away for a day or two, lol... tweaked, to answer your first q.. hit ctrl-alt-(fsomething 1-6 are available, f1 or f2 are prolly taken already) and that will give you a blank login screen. just type in the un and password, from there you are at a command prompt.. to get back to the gui just hit ctrl-alt-f7
oh, and to just get a command prompt window, in linux they're called terminals, there should be several in the menu, i jsut dunno where off hand :D well, runnin late for work so i gotta run, maybe sjohnson or smiz can give you a hand with the rest :)

Tweaked!
05-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Cool, thanks bro. I thought terminal was the one, just wasn't sure;)

Tweaked!
05-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Btw mccompunerd, did you ever get those isos burned to disk?

Dissolved
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
im also gonna try to install this on a 200mhz pc :S

sjohnson
05-13-2003, 02:18 PM
A command prompt can be had the way mccompunerd mentions (Ctl-Alt-F1 through Ctl-Alt-F6 get you to a "normal" console from within X, use Alt-F7 to get back to X), or you can launch an X-Term or other text window from within X. Look for a Seashell Icon to click on, or the words "xterm" or "rxvt" in the menus.

Generally, it won't hurt to explore by clicking on icons and program selections in the menus. Just "X" out of them if you don't know what they do or they're uninteresting.

BTW, logon to X using a username other than "root" when playing around, much less chance of trouble. "root" is the rough equivalent of "Administrator" in Linux/UNIX.

mccompunerd
05-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Btw mccompunerd, did you ever get those isos burned to disk?

nope, my cd burner decided to die on me, so i couldn't burn 'em, just did a network install instead.. i'm loving rh9, just don't have room at my desk for that 'puter, gonna be getting a kvm switch soon so i can have it on the same keyboard/blah... as my winxp box :D

IFMU
05-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Bastards.... all of yea! ;) LoL

Man I just must not be up for Linux stuffs, no matter what i try it does nothin but give me hassles!~!
Hell, the last time I was messing with it, I went to get F@H so i could run it, had nearly everything else to be happy in it for the time being.. and the blasted Stanford site would ONLY give me *.EXE files to download FOR LINUX!!!
Tried many times, all the same crap... dunno what that was, wanted to get F@H back up, and watch some TV (read TV Card, not actual TV) so I rebooted into XP.

mccompunerd
05-14-2003, 09:58 AM
lol IFMU, that's all that you get for F@H on linux, you just create your own folder, stick the file in there, and run it.. f@h creates everything else itself.. dunno about tv in working, but i know in my searches for linux drivers for my vivo card, there are tons of drivers out there.. well, to each his own :)

Smizack
05-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Ok, got some more questions here. How fo I bring up a command prompt. I'm trying to figure out how to get F@H to work on it, but Sjohnsons directions in the state that first you have to open a command propmt window, I cannot find any such application choice.

Second, this thing will not boot from hdd, installation went beautifully, but it will only boot from the bootable floppy I made during installation. Wassup with dat?

Third, When I open the task monitor, it only shows one cpu. Is it supposed to do that? I've installed this on a dual pen pro HP vectra (as stated earlier in thread). All indications show that it is only recognizing one cpu.

So now I've got it booted up as root user, and I'm completely loaded into the main window. From here I'm lost. I can figure out how to surf the web w/ Mozilla, and simple things. But I cannot find the command prompt window (i'm assuming that I'm looking for something like what msdos would be in windows). throw me some bones here, I'm lost and I can't get up;) :p

First. Startmenu, system tools, terminal: will bring up the "command prompt"

Second. You installed the os right? Just boot to the hard drive.

Thrid. Don't know never used mp's.

It's not called a command propt FYI. It's a terminal screen.

And you should be able to r-click the taskbar and choose Add - Button - System tools - Terminal.

I gotta get a copy of rh9. Then I can be more help.;)

sjohnson
05-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Tweaked, you'll need an SMP-enable kernel for a dually setup. RedHat *used* to offer SMP as an install option (on their "Advanced Server" CD set).

Groan - I smell a kernel rebuild coming up and like Smizack I don't run RedHat at this time.

Can you live without an SMP box? It'd be nice if you could learn on a moped instead of a Harley ;)

shray
05-14-2003, 06:19 PM
here's a quick way to download.. Get download accelerator and copy the file name of the 3 isos exactly and get 3 mirrors from filemirror.com and plug em in..

Smizack
05-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Gentoo is w00t!:D

Tweaked!
05-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys, Smiz, "ftp.redhat.com"- type that address in your address bar and it will automatically connect to their ftp site. From there you can navigate through their server till you find the three redhat9 isos. Then you can just copy them to your computer. Earlier in this thread I gave the actual files to navigate through to find them.

I did figure out that it was not smp enabled, but the update proggie downloaded the smp kernel. Problem there is now I can't get it to boot. From either the hdd or floppy. I'm going to have to play around with it some more, ran out of time and haven't played with it since. Just for productivity, I've yanked that hdd and put the w2k hdd back in and got it back to folding for now. I've got to figure out why it won't boot, all it does is when it goes to load the vmlinux kernel, it gets most of the way through that and reboots. Smiz, not sure if it's possible without trying, but I can try to transfer the three files across aim or email them to you if you'd like.:cool:

Sjohnson, the only reason I'm doing this on a smp box is because it's my experimental box. All my other rigs are dedicated folders or have other purposes. This one has no other purpose other than trying new stuff out. :D

Smizack
05-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I know. I just hate downloading iso's.
I don't think there's an email out there that would let you move that much info at once. And aim won't do it. Thanks for the offer tho.;)

mccompunerd
05-15-2003, 09:45 PM
hey smiz, you can im me on aim (willmccoy81) and i can hook you up with the iso's if you want.. dunno what my upload rates would be, but it'd save the hassle of having to dig through an ftp server :) and this stands for anyone else also, but i'm pretty sure my connection can only handle one person at a time getting them...

Smizack
05-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by mccompunerd
hey smiz, you can im me on aim (willmccoy81) and i can hook you up with the iso's if you want.. dunno what my upload rates would be, but it'd save the hassle of having to dig through an ftp server :) and this stands for anyone else also, but i'm pretty sure my connection can only handle one person at a time getting them...

Will do. thx man.;)

dropadrop
05-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Do you think there would be any advantage in installing this on my server over version 7.3 (fully updated)?

I don't use the graphical desktops, just connect to it via ssh. The computer specs are nothing special, celeron 300@450 on an asus p3b-f with 256mb ram.

Smizack
06-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by dropadrop
Do you think there would be any advantage in installing this on my server over version 7.3 (fully updated)?

I don't use the graphical desktops, just connect to it via ssh. The computer specs are nothing special, celeron 300@450 on an asus p3b-f with 256mb ram.

I wouldn't other than just for sh*ts n giggles.
I don't see any advantage in upgrading for a server application.

TheDude
06-09-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm downloading susie 7.3 Pro. This is my first linux install....should I have went with a different flavor? Most seem to say mandrake for newbs? :D

sjohnson
06-09-2003, 08:20 PM
For "complete and ready-to-run" distros, I'm liking SuSE best over RH and Mandrake. Unless you're installing some strange hardware, it should be just like puddin: MyTFine :D

TheDude
06-09-2003, 08:37 PM
That's good news! Thanks for the reply sjohnson :D

Smizack
06-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
For "complete and ready-to-run" distros, I'm liking SuSE best over RH and Mandrake. Unless you're installing some strange hardware, it should be just like puddin: MyTFine :D

I agree. I'm starting to dislike Red hat after testing out many others.