PDA

View Full Version : New Sections

njkid32
08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey guys with all the new projects I have setup some new sub-forums and some sub sub sub forums;) off the DCV area... So right now we need are some good how-to's and I'll get them moved and stuck... Any questions or requests please pm me...

[XC]thewildblue
08-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Maybe its time to move all the other subforums here as well, such as D2ol,Dimes, F@h and R@h. This would make it all tidy and be grouped correctly.

Just a thought.

Nice work though Eric.

[XC] Duc
08-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Maybe its time to move all the other subforums here as well, such as D2ol,Dimes, F@h and R@h. This would make it all tidy and be grouped correctly.

Just a thought.

Nice work though Eric.

Second that... would be a lot easier:)

Ps: Thanks for the title-change, njkid32

[XC] riptide
08-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Nice work Eric. I'll see can i get a list of the other SOB threads to put in the SOB section. Or maybe TWB? Just busy for a few hours.

EDIT: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111301This one!

And this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106879

itznfb
08-25-2006, 06:01 AM

Just a thought.

Nice work though Eric.

good idea. would be much more organized.

KaptainBlaZzed
08-25-2006, 06:49 AM
can we put the new sections in some kind of order.

I like things organized.

njkid32
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
can we put the new sections in some kind of order.

I like things organized.

What kind of order would you like to see?:)

I just pm'd FUGGER to see what he thinks of moving all the folding areas to this one. Thats a big move and I dont want to mess anything up:eek: So I'll let you guys know when I know...

hixie
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Just a thought.

Nice work though Eric.

I recon that's a great idea, keep things nice and tidy.

NJKID, i think alphabetical order would be good.

STEvil
08-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I think I suggested the whole DC thing as one area once or twice.. yeah I did... ;)

pythagoras
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
You can leave F@H where it is thank you. If I wanted drama I'll watch a soap. No offence to any of the teams in the dc vault, but I would rather not be lumped into the same forum as "THE XTREME TEAM" not sure which one that is but there always seems to be one that pulls all the marketing and litters the forums with half dead projects, which then need cleaning up, in this operation.

Regards

John.

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree with pythagoras on this one. There has long been a clear divide between the F@H team and the other teams, and I think it would be very unfair to them to lump them in with everything else.

Also, are a million sub subforums really neccessary? I think having one common sub subforum would be much better, especially since they're never too on-topic anyways ;)

vaio
08-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Forgive the intrusion but I just wanted to say..........

Any of you XS DC folks are most welcome to run some dc threads at Crunchers Inc forums (no post linky....no want to be accused of trying to poach teamies).....you would also be most welcome at DC Zone (http://forum.thedczone.com/index.php) which also discusses most, if not all DC projects.

As I said, I am not looking to poach.......just a keen advocate of DC :)

Facilities are available if you want to use them :)

Happy crunching/folding/pinging :D

[XC]thewildblue
08-28-2006, 02:49 AM
It wasnt so much to lump f@h in with the other projects more to tidy up the forum as a whole. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the f@h team part of "THE XTREAM TEAM" or is it too elitist to be considered part of something so mundane ?

Which are these half dead projects you speak of ? Would they be the projects where THE XTREAM TEAM has achieved top spot ?

sc00p
08-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the f@h team part of "THE XTREAM TEAM"You do not find any link from frontpage (xtremesystems_com) referring to f@h. What is conclusion.

or is it too elitist to be considered part of something
Bad joke IMHO (umm...maybe a country club? :D )

[XC]thewildblue
08-28-2006, 08:44 AM
You do not find any link from frontpage (xtremesystems_com) referring to f@h. What is conclusion.

Bad joke IMHO (umm...maybe a country club? :D )

I think your missing my point. We are all XS whatever project you choose to crunch on. I thought it was all about communities and sticking together.

But then again what would I know..........:confused:

hixie
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
TWB, i have to agree. We are a community, we're all crushing/crawling/pinging for XS.

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
TWB, i have to agree. We are a community, we're all crushing/crawling/pinging for XS.

This and the Mac section is really the only ones that are a community feeling. Still the best forum around IMO

@ NJKid how about a OGR-25 / R5-72 sub section while you are @ it? I can do up a sticky'able How to for us Mac'ers with the G3/4/5's. They eat up those 2 like no tomorrow.

pythagoras
08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I think your missing my point. We are all XS whatever project you choose to crunch on. I thought it was all about communities and sticking together.

I see I upset you:( That was the furthest thing from my mind. In fact its why I specifically said no offence to the dc vault guys.

My problem is with "THE Xtreme Team" and they dont have a team in the vault. We are far from elitist, fold for other xtreme teams when they ask and do not get involved in any drama's.

Regards

John.

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-28-2006, 01:07 PM
"THE Xtreme Team" . We are far from elitist, fold for other xtreme teams when they ask and do not get involved in any drama's.

What other teams? can you explain? PM if it is flame bait.
I want to make sure I am crunching for "our" little group here and not helping out some a$$holes who will not appreciate it.

pythagoras
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Actually I'm coming around to thewildblues suggestion. One way to knee cap the ego's is to have all the projects in one forum in alphabetical order.

Still not sure about all these lounges though?????

We want to advance science, so why hide what we find out?

Regards

John.

Movieman
08-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi John:
The purpose of the lounges are to discuss any subjests that you don't want in the open forum. Strategy on what app your running,etc..Just a private area away from prying eyes.
The XS DC community is growing and lots of preferences..Some will do F@H, some will do SOB and all inbetween.Like Free Dc in some ways, different apps but all under the XS logo..I think it's a win-win..

pythagoras
08-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Lets decide on a communal dc area first, then debate private areas later.

Regards

John.

Movieman
08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Lets decide on a communal dc area first, then debate private areas later.

Regards

John.
Fair enough..for astetics(sp?) I'd suggest putting everything in the DC Vault section, each group with their own subsection..Outside of a better presentation to the public it lets any new person see all that we are running and pick from there..Maybe a section added for general chat..Just my 5 cents..Inflation you know!;)

[XC] serlv
08-28-2006, 05:55 PM
I think "Xtreme Distributed Computing" would be a good moniker for the communal/umbrella DC area.

Then the major, established sub-forums under that.
I see five, initially:
F@H, D2OL, R@H, Dimes, and DC Vault.

Concerning the "Vault"; as teams gain traction and start to have a mass of posting and traffic, in and out of, then they could graduate to their own main subforum ( within "Xtreme Distributed Computing" ). For instance, I could see this happening quickly with WCG. As to some (most?) of the others, there will never be enough interest in them to warrant that "promotiion". But, if there is, than we can adjust.

Perhaps the DC Vault could be labelled "Extreme DC Vault ( all other DC projects )". Or somesuch. :)

Sound reasonable?

Scott

ps
Just my 3.33 cents! :)

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM
i see no point in segregating the DIMES forums from the MJ12 ones... i know they're 2 totally different projects, but even though there are MJ12 forums in the vault, pretty much all MJ12 talk happens in the DIMES forums, partly because they coexist so well and partly because its a lot of the same guys...

Movieman
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
i see no point in segregating the DIMES forums from the MJ12 ones... i know they're 2 totally different projects, but even though there are MJ12 forums in the vault, pretty much all MJ12 talk happens in the DIMES forums, partly because they coexist so well and partly because its a lot of the same guys...
They should both have their own section inside the Vault..Both worthwhile, both Bandwidth apps.
The guys who ran dimes( and do) distinguished themselves for their preserverance and tenacity.
As to MJ12, I'll be back in it shortly and I think you will see Haltech, how can I say this nicely..hmm, I can't...Rape the living crap out of MJ12 once his Ho's are all in and assembled!
I think you look at this simply: If someone runs an app thats one thing, if a 1/2 dozen or more get on it in a big way you give them a section for that app..

[XC]thewildblue
08-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I see I upset you:( That was the furthest thing from my mind. In fact its why I specifically said no offence to the dc vault guys.

My problem is with "THE Xtreme Team" and they dont have a team in the vault. We are far from elitist, fold for other xtreme teams when they ask and do not get involved in any drama's.

Regards

John.

Sorry I was feeling a bit touchy about the whole thing. There are a few of us who compete in most projects.

How about we rename the DC-Vault section to THE XS DC TRAIN/ENGINE

[XC] riptide
08-29-2006, 12:49 AM
How about we rename the DC-Vault section to THE XS DC TRAIN/ENGINEGood idea.

v0dka
08-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Agreed, and is it possible to move the Rosetta section into here as well? I mean tehre is no reason for a seperate forum anymore right?

Martijn
08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Agreed, and is it possible to move the Rosetta section into here as well? I mean tehre is no reason for a seperate forum anymore right?
Well, if Rosetta is going to be moved, I think we better do the same with the F@H, D2OL and Dimes section. IMO it's better to have everything in one sub-forum... :)

itznfb
08-29-2006, 04:21 AM
one section for all DC is the best solution. why seperate any of them? and why segregate the XS TEAM at all. we are a team as a forum, doesn't matter if you crunch for rosetta, sob, qmc, folding, wcg, we are all one team.

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-29-2006, 04:35 AM
one section for all DC is the best solution. why seperate any of them? and why segregate the XS TEAM at all. we are a team as a forum, doesn't matter if you crunch for rosetta, sob, qmc, folding, wcg, we are all one team.

AMEN !!!! :clap:

sc00p
08-30-2006, 03:57 AM
We are all XS whatever project you choose to crunch on. I thought it was all about communities and sticking together.I have exactly same posted already few times.

Copy that.

It was very wierd to me that someone was calling F@H team elitists. I've had feeling of something the very opposite sometimes... -> outcast.

But peace out... I let it go. I'll stick with XS forever or I do not do dcing at all.