PDA

View Full Version : Post mix Carbonator. Ideas?

GVCryan
04-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Since I work for Pepsi, I can usually pick up old parts when they get replaced. It just so happens that we replaced a full Postmix Carbonation Unit.

For all of you unfamiliar with post mix carbonation, those big fountain drink machines use a container for syrup. It gets mixed with water (from tap), and then gets carbonated and cooled by the carbonator.

This carbonator we have uses large vents to take in outside air, which it then condenses into liquid CO2, and fills a 3liter tank. Once the tank is full the pump kicks off. (it takes about 6 minutes to fill the tank.)

When you flick the momentary switch, it dumps liquid CO2 from a 3/8" hose into the post mix stream (which becomes air bubbles quickly) . Before it comes into your cup, a 3/8" air suction line pulls the excess gas from the top of the container, and sends it back into the compressor to start anew.

I was thinking of using this in my cooling rig. Using a waterblock pumping the Liquid stream onto the blockthrough the intake barb, and connecting the outake barb to the air suction line, to create a closed loop cooling unit.

My other thought was to use a large sealed resorvoir and use the carboantor unit as a water chiller, that way I would still have a water system to cool the proc incase the carbonator couldn't keep up with the constant load.

What does everyone think?

I'll post pics when I get it home.

BTW I have access to 12 liter tanks if I need one.

I should also mention that i test the cooling ability by spraying the line on a piece of copper pipe. It looked like when you hold a can of "Canned Air" upside down and spray it. The copper pipe immeadiate got super cold. I used a thermometer in the air stream and got a reading of -30c, the thermometers lowest limit.

Hope to have fun with this.

Charles Wirth
04-06-2003, 02:23 PM
If you can hook it up, go for it.

I think it would work.

WerewolfX
04-08-2003, 07:04 AM
That is so Cool :)