PDA

View Full Version : Windows Service Pack w/ MacBook

djtierta
08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi guys,

Thought I'd check in. At the office, we've purchased several MacBooks and MacBook Pros with dual-core Intel processors and we wanted to install Windows on each.

To do this, you need the BootCamp Assistant beta and a copy of Windows...

We had 3 MacBooks and 2 MacBook Pros. 4 copies of Windows XP w/SP2 and 1 copy of Windows XP w/SP1.

On the Apple site, it specifically says that the system requires Windows XP w/SP2 to install.

I thought I'd try to slipstream SP2 onto a copy of the SP1 disk...this did not work at all.

So I went ahead and installed Windows XP w/SP1 and discovered that there is absolutely no way that the system will allow you to update to Windows XP SP2.

Just a heads up. Go with the SP2 CD if you decide you want SP2 on your Mac.

perry_78
08-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Its the same license for SP1 as for SP2, its a windows license, the SPs come for free :)

But sounds weird that you cant update, doesn't make any sense either... Looks like good old server2003 for me then ;)

rufus
08-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Its the same license for SP1 as for SP2, its a windows license, the SPs come for free :)

But sounds weird that you cant update, doesn't make any sense either... Looks like good old server2003 for me then ;)

Yea just install XP using one of the discs with SP2, but use the license from the other disc.

djtierta
08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Right. Tried that in the past and had to call in twice to sort it out. It's not a problem because the user only needs Windows to read files with certain extensions (she was fed up with Virtual PC)...but if you haven't got access to an SP2 disc and you plan on using Windows a lot...don't bother with the SP1 disc if that's all you have.

The reason why MacBook/MacBook Pro "needs" SP2 is supposed to be because of the drivers, but I saw no problems with SP1, other than the built-in camera not working (it's not supposed to in Windows anyway).

As for the reason why it wouldn't upgrade from SP1 to SP2, either from the network install file -- WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -- or the Windows Update site...I have no idea. Would be interested to find out.