PDA

View Full Version : Lindows

Smizack
04-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I just got a copy of Lindows 2.0.2.
So far it seems fairly stable, just eats a lot of ram.

Hopefully if IFMU is still up to it, we are going to do a review for the front page soon.;)

IFMU
04-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Of course! ;)

Smizack
04-04-2003, 03:37 PM
It will be on the way Monday.;)

Smizack
04-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Well, it seems to run F@H normally like Linux. Imagine that:rolleyes:
But it didn't like the B version. I'll have to look into that some more.

wdd1040
04-16-2003, 09:45 AM
any way you could post some screenshots and maybe tell about compatibility with Windows Programs? Does it include an emulator like Wine? What kind of driver support, etc? What CLI shell does it have? Bash, Korn? Will all this be in the review? How long must I wait for that? :)
Wes

Smizack
04-16-2003, 03:26 PM
We are going to do a review soon. Either 2.0.2 or 3.0.5
There's no emulator that I know of.
Driver supports seems to be like under linux. Kinda modified though.

I really haven't gone through it much yet.

wdd1040
04-16-2003, 06:51 PM
ty ty, can't wait for the review.

CCW
04-24-2003, 01:40 AM
sounds interesting, havent seen a review of lindows yet...it was kinda flawed in the way it didnt run windows apps natively like rpmised :(

keep us updated please!
:D

Smizack
05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure when the review will be done. Actually, I have absolutely no eta at all right now.
But in the couple of weeks I was running it I came to a few conclusions.
It just seems to be linux with a pretty look or theme I guess. Just kinda combed over with shortcuts. I guess that's suppost to appeal to windows users.
F@H works fine on it, the setup is exactly the same as with Linux.
I got a few progs to run, like gaim, and limewire.
And Wine works on it, (dosen't come with it:rolleyes: ) but not any better than on Linux.
I'd say the thing I disslike the most is it's auto-update called click-n-run. Wich will update your system with the latest and greatest, but you have to pay for it.
It definately seems like an MS operating system at this point.

I really don't see any old school windows users using lindows for any ammount of time.

And being dissapointed with it thus far, I'm currently running RH8.0.

Smizack
06-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Just updating, I'm done with Lindows. It's not worth the cd it comes on.
And if you want more of a windows style, just use Lycoris. It's got a nice format and some familliar Win style pannels, but it's still functional and easy to set up.

IFMU
06-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Apologies for my lack of back up on this. Few things have caused it to not be right up there in priorities recently. I tried it out once it got here, had some troubles tryin to get it to install, and just havent had the chance to mess with it again.
Ill mess with it soon, but just not quite yet.

TheDude
06-09-2003, 07:16 PM
I fooled with the Lindows beta a while back and didn't like it. Hope the final release is better. Currently downloading Redhat instead.:D

Smizack
06-10-2003, 06:41 PM
IFMU:
It's not you man, It's just a crappy OS. I've tried both the stable releases and.. blah.

Dude: It's been released for some time now.

TheDude
06-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Dude: It's been released for some time now.

That's what I meant as the "final release". :D
I only tried beta.