PDA

View Full Version : F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ / Gigabyte DS3 Work Out of the Box?

jkc120
08-18-2006, 10:13 PM
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I see posts on these forums and other places that they were able to boot the DS3 with the F1 BIOS out-of-the-box with the F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ RAM. Others report not being able to boot at all and needing to use some cheap DDR2-533 to be able to change the vDIMM to get the G.skill to boot with the board.

So, is this a luck of the draw thing? Will it work out of the box with the DS3 or not? I'm really not wanting to drop $30 for RAM I'll never use, just to update the BIOS to F3+ to use this RAM. Can you please confirm whether this will work out of the box?

I saw someone mention changing the SPD to cas5, was this already done and if I buy the RAM from newegg, will it come with this update? I'm trying to avoid any RMAs or additional memory purchases. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

jkc120
08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Also, what about the Asus P5B? I'm set on this RAM, it's supposed to great stuff and a great price.

I am going to end up buying whichever motherboard boots stock with this RAM, since I have no low-end DDR2 and don't want to buy some just to boot strap and flash the BIOS.

jkc120
08-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Well the lack of responses makes me even more hessitant to buy this RAM I guess. :( It confirms there really isn't a definitive answer whether this RAM will boot out-of-the box on these two P965 boards. I guess I'll have to buy some DDR2-533 cheapo RAM afterall.

GSKILL TECH
08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
no problem to boot up if you have at least F2 bios :)

jkc120
08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
no problem to boot up if you have at least F2 bios :)

Thanks, I actually ended up ordering the Asus P5B :) So do I need a minimum BIOS for that board to work? Sorry to be impatient, I didn't realize you are working such long hours/etc!! :) I really appreciate the response.