PDA

View Full Version : enermax 550w psu... making high pitched noises

shortcircuit
04-04-2003, 10:30 AM
I've been using an enermax 550w psu in my daily-use machine for a while now and recently it started doing something which is really annoying. It makes this high pitched noise, so high you can barely hear it. But you can, and it's really loud. All the voltages check out OK, the psu was bought recently (from a computer fair :( ) and has not been modified in any way.

Anybody know what could be wrong with it? I think I lost the reciept for it and it's way too nice of a psu to use as a doorstop.

Marci
04-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Likely to be on it's way out... something in there is getting a bit stressed out. Try improving cooling in the PSU if the air coming out is fairly hot... that'll give you time to save up fer a new one...

Holst
04-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Most likely a bad cap they can make a high pitch noise when there about to die.

if you dare, take it to bits and see if any of the caps look swolen or have leaked if they have you may be able to replace them and fix it..

shortcircuit
04-07-2003, 08:33 AM
thanks for the input - this psu is a doorstop now but when I get a chance I'll open it up and see if any of the caps look swollen. This psu was powering an xp2500 @ 2.3ghz when it started acting funny... but previously I had used it to power an xp3000 @ 2850 with a radeon9700 and an 85w tec, which might have been too much.