PDA

View Full Version : Using ATI tool to test 7900GT vmod stability?

jpennstar
08-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey all,

Just wondering how well the ATI tool tests Nvidia for stability and such? Here's my situation.

I have a vmodd 1.5v 7900GT (690 / 1650) w/ VF900 (44-64C) and when I run ATI tool artifact scan it just about immediately gets artifacts on the little fuzzy cube. However, I can run any game and 3dmark06 constantly and everything is fine, not one artifact or BSoD; so gaming is good.

Now when I vmodd to 1.55v (same clocks) and do the artifact scan I get no artifacting (my longest test has been 20 minutes). But I don't care for the temps on 1.55 (load 68C).

Therefore, my question is should I keep the 1.5v mod or go back to the 1.55v?

Because I know these cores can hang for awhile but then they just die! LOL.

bcbooter
08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
do you have counter-strike source?
if so i recommend turning off vSYNC and then playing for hours and hours lol
that game will give me artifacts when any other wont nor ati so i use it to test..
actually i use 3dmark/ati tool/css
but if its unstable ususally css will crash after liek a 4 hour session..

Stigma
08-29-2006, 07:34 AM
well above 1.50 is high if you dont have anything but stock cooling. You should try to stay under 75celcius under load if possible.

Artifacts can sometimes be nearly imperceptible. The ATItool will detect these minute problems much earlier than you will be able to see them in games ect. You may not be negatively affected by it at all, but if ATItool reports errors then your card can NOT properly handle the clockspeed at that voltage. To get it truly stable, you need more voltage, or less clocks.

If you have one of those cards with defective mosfets (around 1-2% have them I hear), then this will speed up the death of athe card by a lot probably, but defective mosfets usually means it dies sometime down the road anyway.

-Stigma

johnsally
09-12-2006, 03:36 AM
ati tool will find artifacts alot faster. I would play source for hours and hours and not have a problem at all. But within seconds with ati tools i get yellow dots.