PDA

View Full Version : Changed cable modem, lost newsgroups?

MediOCre
03-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Have a strange problem and I don't understand enough about how this works to diagnose it.

ISP is Adelphia with newsgroups & email courtesy of Verizon.

Friday afternoon, Adelphia swapped out the old Lan City modem and static IP for a Terayon modem and a dynamic IP under the pretense of routine maintenance/upgrade.

5 minutes before the swap I was happily downloading from news.verizon.net. After the swap I'm unable to connect to the server. Ping times out immediately & traceroute makes 17 hops before doing the same.

Adelphia swears that the change could not possibly cause this while Verizon plays delaying games with "We'll have a tech call you back in about an hour" on Friday. "We'll have a tech call you within 24 hour" on Saturday and "We'll have a tech call you within 36 hours" on Monday.
My brother, who lives a mile away but is on DSL rather than cable has no problem connecting to the server.

Any confirmation to Adelphias "Not our fault" statements? Anyone else using news.verizon.net and having difficulties?
Any good place to start researching on my own?

Appreciate any advise. On day number 4 now and no answers in sight.

dropadrop
04-05-2003, 02:03 PM
New ip-addresses that have'nt been added to the pool of allowed addresses for the news server?

If the company is even half as beurocratic as the isp I work for it could easyly take a week for the guy in charge of the news server to add the new ip-pool...

Just guessing anyway :)

Is your net working fine otherwise?