PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Game of the Ages

sladesurfer
08-13-2006, 10:02 AM
:) http://www.gamespot.com/features/6155700/index.html?tag=topslot;action;1

Regardless if you are a FF fan or not, I certainly have to agree that Final Fantasy VII is without a doubt one of the greatest of all time.

While the core concepts might not be unique, it's Cloud's interactions with other characters, especially between him and the game's antagonist, Sephiroth, which make the story so special. From its sinister and serious moments to Cloud's humorous cross-dressing sequence, players can't help but feel attached to Cloud and his supporting cast, who are easily as iconic as he is. At the top of the list are his two love interests, tough girl Tifa and the mystical flower girl Aeris (Aerith), whose relationship with Cloud you can govern by selecting different conversational choices along the way. There's also Sephiroth, whose appearance among flames as he burns down Cloud's hometown might be one of the most recognizable cutscenes ever to grace video games. And let's not forget that he's responsible for the most shocking moment in video games, the most spoilerific spoiler of all time, the death of Aeris.

[XC] leviathan18
08-13-2006, 10:16 AM
i have FFVII and Zelda Ocarina of time, i really think FF was better in the character development bur zelda has a nice gameplay both are awesome, i think both should be in the top of all time

RPGWiZaRD
08-13-2006, 11:31 AM
FF7 was the game that got me into RPGs, since then I've played almost any snes rpg + ps1 and some ps2.

I've finished FF7 like 5 times, maybe time for another soon. :toast:

I prefer good single player rpgs over any multiplayer.

Metroid
08-13-2006, 01:15 PM
My vote goes to Chrono trigger.

The best game ever created.

Soulburner
08-13-2006, 02:17 PM
My vote goes to Chrono trigger.

The best game ever created.
I probably spent 1000 hours on that game back in the day...

FF7 tops it though. It was a lot longer (CT was too short IMO) and the battle system (materia anyone?) was top notch. Much better than FFX which i'm finishing now, but the graphics of course can't touch that.

I still listen to my FF3, 7, and Chrono Trigger soundtracks often.

[XC] leviathan18
08-13-2006, 02:34 PM
come on guys give zelda OoT some credit..... or at least play it you will like it

also the best multiplayer game is no matter what golden eye

Metroid
08-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I probably spent 1000 hours on that game back in the day...

FF7 tops it though. It was a lot longer (CT was too short IMO) and the battle system (materia anyone?) was top notch. Much better than FFX which i'm finishing now, but the graphics of course can't touch that.

I still listen to my FF3, 7, and Chrono Trigger soundtracks often.

You speak for me. I think you are addicted video game person as I'm. I have all the console musics formats including psf, spc, usf, nsf, gbs I listen the musics with my winamp and also I converted to my MP3 player with the ogg format.

Yes chrono trigger is short, that was the cartridge fault( 2 MB) in comparison with the playstation cd's 650 MB.

I finished the game with all the materia included knights of round that comes with 12 knights in the magic. I think is 12, long time no play, no time anymore.

I still have all the emulators and roms here, so I can play anytime. The playstation 2 emulator looks very promising. I hope will be playble next year with at least 30 FPS.

Time to sleep now tomorrow hard work day.:)

Soulburner
08-13-2006, 04:13 PM
There are 13 Knights of the Round ;)

And yeah all the soundtrack music I have is from the CD's so it is in mp3 format. I have FF3, 7, 8, Chrono Trigger, and I want to find some more but I have been too lazy to look. I got them off Napster way back (the original one) before it was shut down, and I haven't found them since.

NoPeace
08-14-2006, 06:54 PM
FF7 has to be one of my all time favourites. Spent more time on that game then anything else. They story was so great and not a single moment in it I was ever bored. The battle system was class with the complex matria system. And not to mention chocobo breeding was a bast to do.

NoPeace - out

dominos789
08-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Gamespot gave FF7 like a 7.4 or something.

BlaqMale
08-20-2006, 06:06 PM
i loved final fantasy 7 but like most here, it's a tough call between it and zelda for number 1, twilight princess might firmly place zelda at number 1 though.

[XC] leviathan18
08-21-2006, 06:54 AM
the best zelda so far is OoT bu we should see TP

delas52
08-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Gamespot gave FF7 like a 7.4 or something.

Huh? http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/finalfantasy7/index.html?q=final%20fantasy%207

Soulburner
08-21-2006, 03:46 PM
the best zelda so far is OoT bu we should see TP
Disagree, A Link to the Past > All.

smids
08-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Love Final Fantasy full stop. I only really started playing when I borrowed FFVII from my friend at school, many, many years ago back when I was only about 10 and didn't really know what I was doing/understand the story. I'm glad I left it and came back to it many years later to complete it as now I really appreciate the story. Having said that, I loved the story of VIII and X - IX was a little off for me.

One thing I will say about VII - Cosmo Canyon tune :D :D :D. I cannot stop whistling that!!! I think it's the best piece ever! It fits RedXIII so well.

gelatinousfury
08-22-2006, 04:36 AM
FFVII was the first game I played that had me pretty much addicted. I had it reserved and I can remember when my dad took me down to the mall to pick it up the day it came in.........the line at EB was out of the store backed up all the way to the elevators lol

[XC] leviathan18
08-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Disagree, A Link to the Past > All.

a link to the past great great game really i love it in fact i didnt sleep in a week to finish it but i think zelda OoT has a little better history balada of fire i love it

guess2098
08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
FF3 is my 1st RPG game and it is the best

Zardokk
08-22-2006, 01:26 PM
No doubt, FF7 is the best game ever. Period. I'm also a big fan of Devil May Cry...was it just me or did that game kick ass?

Soulburner
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
FF3 is my 1st RPG game and it is the best
Yeah me too, I always have a hard time deciding which one I liked better.

Soulburner
08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
One thing I will say about VII - Cosmo Canyon tune :D :D :D. I cannot stop whistling that!!! I think it's the best piece ever! It fits RedXIII so well.
You want the .mp3?

smids
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
You want the .mp3?
YES.... PLEASE!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:eek2: :hitself:

found404
08-23-2006, 12:08 AM
FF7 is awesome, but another rpg I equally liked is Xenogears.

Tiesto
08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
FF7 is awesome, but another rpg I equally liked is Xenogears.

Wow I remember Xenogears best rpg ever made I am glad Square decided to release it in the states, otherwise we would have never got the chance to play it.

Vengure
08-26-2006, 02:58 AM
My first RPG was the original Gold Zelda Tape for NES man that was a long time ago.

Rolle2k
08-26-2006, 06:12 AM
come on guys give zelda OoT some credit..... or at least play it you will like it

also the best multiplayer game is no matter what golden eye

C'mon yourself ;) Zelda OoT was pretty fun, but besides that it for me was the game that destroyed Zelda series... Zelda shouldn't be in the 3d angles that the newer games are. it just felt wrong. Zelda 3 is easily the best Zelda game of the Series, But all three first games are really good.
But as most of the other people here i think FF-series is better then Zelda. Majora's Mask was so so so so sooooo bad that i couldn't even finnish it before i got tired of it.
The later final fantasy games X & X2 haven't been the best either, but FF7 & 9 makes up for them all :)

Golden eye was good when it came out to n64, but today i have to say that i almost laugh at how bad it really is. it nowhere can compete with newer MP games.

just my two (or three) cents :p:

古強者死神
08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
As an advid square soft gamer when I was a kid I have played all of there games and have a very neutral view on them.

Also all the Zelda games I have played them all.

So it boils down to this:

First I want to make a point to who said CT was limited to the 2mb cartrige size that it was one of the SNES games to have a double sized cartrige ( http://danieldematteis.wordpress.com/videogame-consoles/games-i-own/chrono-trigger )

now to the point of wich was the best?

Well Chrono Trigger rules over FF7 when it comes to mentioning the word "classics" sure FF7 is a clasic too but when you really think back to the real classics chrono trigger was there. But in additon Final Fantasy 3 (aka final fantasy 6) was there and I think meet or beat CT in alot of ways, much longer, more hidden things, more characters, and a diffrent feel.

I loved FF6 so much that I made like a 60 page book of game genie codes for it so I could mod the game.

Both of these being menu driven RPG's while totaly diffrent in how the game plays and the music/theme thats when Zelda steps in and says who needs menus real men dont fight with words and cursors they fight with swords!!!

Zelda A link to the past on the SNES was a super incredible game and earns the title classic easy. Just as FF6 moved to FF7. Zelda A Link to the Past moved to Zelda 64. I grew up at just the right age to enjoy the SNES games, I was old enough to understand them but young enough to let them take controll of my imagination and emerse myself in the game. To this effect is one reason the SNES games have more a "feel" to them than the superior versions you find today (FF6 vs FF7, Zelda A link to the past vs Zelda 64)

When the new games came out on the next gen systems they were GREAT games, better graphics, better music, but I was older and games just dont have the same effect on you when your older as they do when your a kid.

Also the squaresoft brother of Zelda is Secret of Mana. I think it was as good as or better than the Final Fantasy's of the time and just how Chrono Trigger had the double size cartrige and better graphics there is Siekendensetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) wich is actually more advanced than Chrono Trigger with awsome graphics and live fighting like Zelda with multiple endings and story paths.

In the end I say its apples and oranges and you cant failry compare the games as they each had somthing unique to offer.

But I can say there will always be a place for the early SNES RPG's and FF7/Zelda 64 for a RPG enthusiast.

And for those of you how maybe were not arround when the early games were a hit, If you took the time to go back and play them you can find the real RPG roots.

Soulburner
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Agree with everything in the last post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I played all those games too and I grew up on the SNES gen of RPG's.

Metroid
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Agreed with the last 2 posts but I still think Chrono trigger is a magic game.:toast:

CT Will live forever inside my heart :woot:

Discipuli
09-03-2006, 06:19 PM
FF7 was great , very good characterization , but i liked FF6's general plot more... Chronotrigger and SoM are truer classics , Sieken Densetsu 3 is better than most games you can find today, one thing i don't like about modern RPGS is the whole move to 'Open' gameplay and making your own char removed a good bit of depth to the game....
Not so much in KOTOR but its bad in Oblivion , no deep char to char relationships , Sieken on the other hand is an example of how you can still get the chance to choose chars that you want to some extent , and keep the depth of storyline.

exhausted mule
09-03-2006, 07:35 PM
chrono trigger was one of my favourite games as a kid. i actually found myself thinking about how cool that game was at work the other day.

ff3 was also one of the better games out back in the day, the opening movie with the music and story, nothing will be the story behind ff3 and nothing will touch the concept that was chrono trigger.

imho.

SLi_dog
09-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd have to say that FF7 is my favourite game of all time. When it came out most games could be completed in 24-48 hours and had a life span of about 2 weeks. Then I played FF7 and was absolutely amazed, the freedom that it allowed and the depth of the gameplay was incredible. I've clocked it many times with the last time including all the cave items, master materia, ultimate weapons and limit breaks. If you morph all the creatures in the sunken submarine you get different kinds of source items (power, mind, luck, spirit) so when I'd finished all my characters had maxed stats as well.

I bought FF4 when it was released but the dodgy graphics put me off. I finished FF8 & FF9 but didn't enjoy it as much as FF7. I started FFX but didn't like it at all (maybe I'm getting old????)

I also really enjoyed Zelda 3 on SNES. I tried to get hold of FF3 and Chrono Trigger at the time but couldn't find a copy anywhere. I've heard they were really good.

Soulburner
09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I play mine on an emulator. Run flawless.

古強者死神
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah emulation is great, heck its better in alot of ways.

I own the originals so I am in the good :P

p0tter
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Secret of Mana or FF7

serious1
10-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Well this was by far my favorite game ever and i could easily justify the $500 PS3 price tag if sony would remake it for the PS3. Hint Hint sony;).

syne_24
10-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Secret of Mana was awesome back in the snes rpg day! Great story driven, characters, graphic, and gameplay; it had it all. I also enjoyed Chrono Trigger and Zelda: Link 2 the Past as well.

erwinz
10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
final fantasy 7 is the main reason I bought a pc that time.. :D hehehe I only said that its for my thesis and studies.. but nah.. hehehe i remember its a celeron 300a with 440bx board and i740 video card :D woah.. my first overclocked rig.. my cely is still alive.. I can't part with it.. it brings memories of cloud and the omnislash.. :D

-thc-(cZ)
10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Classic RPG?

Dungeon Master!! (aka who needs talking :))
I had all the items from the whole game stashed in one room heh

Back then, I couldn't speak english much, so it worked perfect for me :) Dungeon Master II had one talking person, that was the shopkeepers.. they'd say Huh, Uh-huh and Um-um. Loved it..

FFVII was awesome too, that one spell in it was some serious ownage.. what was it called.. it would show a flyby thru the whole solar system all the way to the Sun and then the Sun owned everybody for like 999HP heh.. supernova was it?? Ya, made me feel like I'm the God (which I am btw) more than any other moment in any game..

jbartlett323
10-22-2006, 11:02 AM
my first rpg was final fantasy vii... it was and still is awesome... by far the greatest... i nearly cried the first time i seen aeris died... thats how deep this game takes you... when you can feel the love between the characters and the hate for the evil minions you just cant deny that it is suberbly awesome!

JPeitzman
10-25-2006, 01:22 PM
FF7 is awsome, great game, but compaired to Crono Trigger....IDK. I love CT it is awsome, I find myself picking up sometimes when I am bored with PC games, or don't want to do homework. I think though that my favorite is still EarthBound!

I would have to say...in my opinion...Earthbound was and still is one of the best RPG's ever made. I think it tops CT and any Zelda or any FF (execpt maybe FFX, I really like FFX, but that is just me). Has anyone ever played EarthBound Zero, or seen anything about Mother 3 (EarthBound is the US version of Mother, which it the Japanese version) ported to English? I would love to get 1 and 3, maybe in an emulater for PC. I love that game, I could play it all day.

KoHaN69
10-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Chrono Trigger is the first RPG I played, and The whole random-fighting nuisance of FF7 could not justify anything else about it.

If only FF7, or any Final Fantasy for that matter, could offer same gameplay as Chrono Trigger (going around enemies unnoticed)
Then i'd be in gaming heaven with Stalker and Duke Nukem Forever on a Voodoo 7 video card :D

krille
11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
After FF1 through FF6, I think FF7 was a real let-down.

And no flaming, please, I know most disagree with me. An interesting thing though is that most people who think FF7 was the best got into FF by playing FF7. I, on the other hand, began with FF1 and worked myself upwards. I'd played FF1-6 + FFMQ + FFL1-3 + FFA before playing FF7. Although I think FF6 was great, I completely lost interest in FF series with FF7 and later games. FF7 was a big disappointment imho. Especially as it's supposed to be one of the big titles!

The games prior to FF7, though, were godsends!

~ Kris

Metroid
11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Chrono Trigger is the first RPG I played, and The whole random-fighting nuisance of FF7 could not justify anything else about it.

If only FF7, or any Final Fantasy for that matter, could offer same gameplay as Chrono Trigger (going around enemies unnoticed)
Then i'd be in gaming heaven with Stalker and Duke Nukem Forever on a Voodoo 7 video card :D

You really spoke what I really want to hear.

Final Fantasy 7 was great but for the nuisance of random battles it made the game look sick. The battle system in Chrono Trigger was fantastic you could easily escape of enemies.

(Random enemies)It gives you headaches.

Chrono forever :toast:

SKiLL3D
11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Final Fantasy was the Game of his Time i would say. I'm still leveling 2-3 chars until all reach lvl99 on a P2 400/128MB/Voodoo2-Sys and it's still so much fun exploring the Game.

escaping was easy pishing L1+R1 or R2+L2(PgUp+PgDown on PC)

iLL

krille
11-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Final Fantasy was the Game of his Time i would say. I'm still leveling 2-3 chars until all reach lvl99 on a P2 400/128MB/Voodoo2-Sys and it's still so much fun exploring the Game.

escaping was easy pishing L1+R1 or R2+L2(PgUp+PgDown on PC)

iLLDude, just use a memory editor. :rolleyes:

tdunks
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
anyone have the emulator and the cds for it? ive tried buying the game but cant find it newhere besides ebay and ebay is for about $100 so no...

[cTx]Philosophy
11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
FF7 is d bezt. Secret of mana was ownage, I used to get sick flying the dragon or wutever it was around all the dam time..

The memories :p

bankie
11-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Best RPG ever = Chrono Trigger
Best FF ever = It's hard to decide between FF1 and FF3.
Best Zelda ever = A Link to the Past
Best PC RPG ever = Morrowind - Wizardry V was really good too

FF7 was pretty good but Cloud was too much of a whiny girl for me to like him. The story had a few "I have no idea what/why that just happened" parts. And walking through an alleyway and getting attacked by a big house with a tail and feet was kind of a put-off too. Still it was one of the best jumps to 3D that a series has made.

ak_47_boy
11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Half Life is the greatest game of all time.

Soulburner
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Years ago I got my sister into Chrono Trigger. This week, I introduced it to my girlfriend who is now playing it. She plays it on her new Dell Core 2 Duo laptop, with a controller. It's a pretty slick setup and she can save wherever she wants instead of waiting for save points.