View Full Version : quest for stability at 200 FSB

maj1ck
03-24-2003, 01:44 PM
my rig runs smoothly but not stable at 200 fsb
2D has yet to crash on me
warcraft iii has crashed on me after i play 3-4 hours or so
prime95 crashes within minutes
3dmark03 crashes at the cpu test section

i then venture into memtest (running 8 mult x FSB)
anything above 187 FSB and memtest freezes at test #5
i have relaxed the timings from 3-3-2-2 (ocz recommended) up to 7-4-3-2.5 and it will continue to freeze at test #5 until i lower the FSB

My i have upped my vcore to 1.85, ram to 2.9, and chipset to 1.7 to make sure i'm feeding enough power.

What could the problem be? could it be my OCZ PC 3500 EL DDR ram be gimped? or is my barton 2500+? :confused:

Whats funny is i have been running 205 x 10.5 for the past few days and have only crashed when i play warcraft iii over an extended period of time (4+ hours)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
:toast:

spaceman
03-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a border-line heat issue. My rig's fine for everything else, including F@H, but if I forget to turn on my window exhaust fan, gaming causes crashes. ;) It never crashes windows, just kicks me out of games. Apparently, it heats things up just enough to be unstable. :(

DR. YT
03-24-2003, 07:25 PM
ok dude me and you can learn some things from eachouther here i have a very similar rig i have an nf-7 rev i.2 , ocz pc 3200 , a radion 9700 pro and a palimino 1700+ and cant seem to get 200 fsb quite stable eather. any way ive got a couple of ideas for you first try running the ram at 2.6volts, it may sound weird but ive herd about people haveing luck with this method

second check if your north bridge feals warm.

third try a geforce in there just to make sure its not the radion. even though theres an agp lock high fsbs can make radions go funny. but not likely.

forth my ocz 3200 is sold as a 2.5cl stick but its the damndest thing it likes 2,2,2,6 the best and if i try to set it at very loose timings it want boot. sound crazy but true:)

good luck and any thing you mite sugest for me to solve my 200 fsb stabilite problems let me know:D

BigRedBrent
03-24-2003, 10:58 PM
I would like to get a NForce2 board for the next computer I build. It looks like I could get an AthlonXP 2500+ Barton 333FSB to do 400FSB with DDR at 400. I hear they OC more if you cut one of the bridges defaulting it to 266 and then ironically you can OC the FSB higher than when it is set to 333 by default. I can not confirm this but I have seen a few people report this to be so.