PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to learn a new language?

Shelnutt2
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm taking Physics I this year and next year I will take Physics II, and what I want to do is as we learn things and formals and just learn physics I want to come home and write a program for it. Just as an example say after we learn about dropping a ball from a certain hight and the formula for how long and how high and all it will bounce on mother earth. I want to up date my program to include that. So one could select all the variables and then see A) a visual (3d?) model of what happens and then also for it to spit out the data into a table.

Obviously this will be a long term project and be a learning project also. When I finish Physics next year, I want to have a program that I can pass on to others so they can have a program for experimentation. Plus this is a great way to get the service hours I need.

I've written two programs so far, First one was command line based the second was an actual GUI program that did the same as the command line. Both were very basic. I wrote them in java.

So my question goes, can I do what I want in Java? Can it be easily done in Java, I mean by that is I don't want to be trying to do it in Java and end up having to write 5-10 times the coding and everything than if I had written it in something else.

Linux compatibility isn't that big, but its one reason I used java before. Although I seriously doubt anyone will be using Linux that would use my program.

norse
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
The 3d model I don't believe is possible in java. I could be wrong as I only have had a couple of java courses before I switched my major.

eshbach
08-15-2006, 03:51 AM
The 3d model I don't believe is possible in java. I could be wrong as I only have had a couple of java courses before I switched my major.

actually sun makes a very easy 3D API for java.

uOpt
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
The Sun API for Java 3D sucks for real use, but it probably will do.

Java sounds like the best option for you for what you have in mind.