PDA

View Full Version : How much draw is required?

Shpoon
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Just curious, how much energy draw is needed for a PSU to run safely? (As in, if I jumpstart it, how much is needed so if doesn't get ruined)

Are a couple fans enough?

EsaT
08-11-2006, 07:37 AM
So you're asking how much power PSU needs to operate?
If you have normal system I would consider 5A current well enough for it in all conditions.

Switching power supplies don't draw much any power surge at startup... at least when compared to toroidal transformers which can easily draw over 10x nominal power for few milliseconds. (burning fuses while at it)

And somekind forced and immediate "jumpstart" at full power is quite impossible, when PSU gets power from electric network it starts producing standby power, motherboard (/you pressing power button) can iniate start up only after that, and even then PSU first fully starts up (starting all rails and checking voltages) before it sends signal to motherboard telling it's safe to boot.

[timko]
08-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Shpoon,

If when you say "jumpstart" you're referring to the paperclip method of starting a PSU without having it plugged into a mobo then you don't need anything plugged into the PSU. Just insert the paperclip in the appropriate sockets, plug the cable in at the wall and hit the switch on the back of the PSU.

Shpoon
08-11-2006, 10:06 AM
']Shpoon,

If when you say "jumpstart" you're referring to the paperclip method of starting a PSU without having it plugged into a mobo then you don't need anything plugged into the PSU. Just insert the paperclip in the appropriate sockets, plug the cable in at the wall and hit the switch on the back of the PSU.

I thought that this could damage the PSU if you're don't have any load... :confused:

Helmore
08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah I also heard that some PSU's just shut down if there is not enough load on all the 12V raills, or is that just a myth?

[timko]
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I've done this multiple times before on about half a dozen different PSUs and they're all still working.

What guides were you guys reading that told you there was a need for a load?

Helmore
08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I haven't read it in guides, I heard that this has occured with some PSUs, like the Antec NeoHE, but it has been fixed with this particular model about half a year ago.