PDA

View Full Version : Idea for psu mod

blake_rateliff
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I've seen guides for running 2 psu's in a system but they never seem to combine the lines on the psu's, instead all they do is make it so that both psu's turn on with one button by modding the green wire in the atx connector.

if you did something like this to run both psu's in parallel you should be able to use the amperage from both psu's without raising the voltage on the lines

http://x5.freeshare.us/118fs120566.png

If you did this for all the floppy/hdd/atx power cables I would think that you
would have more available amps on the 12v/5v/3.3v lines but since you are connecting the lines from the power supplies in parallel rather than series, the voltage on the lines should stay the same.

Please give feedback as to whether this would or would not work

hixie
08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
In theory yes it does work, in reality not so good.
The reason is that the rails have a sensor that adjusts the voltage according to output, having 2 PSUs joined together in parallel will make the sensors work against each other.
I'd rather have a stable output PSU with less amperage than a PSU with huge amounts of amperage but voltage that is all over the place.

blake_rateliff
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Is there a way to mod the sensors to output a constant voltage?

xlink
08-10-2006, 11:12 PM
not without great time nor expense, you'de be better off not attempting to do this as it just wont work in practice, you'de be apt to fry something.