PDA

View Full Version : Abit AB9 Pro phase power?

gundersausage
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Anyone know if it is 3 phase??? 6 phase???

1945MF
08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Anyone know if it is 3 phase??? 6 phase???

Just 5 Phase Power @ AB9 Pro Cheers!

celerity
08-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Could someone explain the difference? how much better is 3 phase compare to 6 phare and what are these 'phases' actually doing? anyone got any links or something to read about this? :p:

[TAG]Imp
08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
i don't know, more phases is usually better in handling the voltage to the CPU, but the AB9 Pro got a D 805 to 4.7 GHz or something... that's a LOT of power....

gundersausage
08-10-2006, 12:17 PM

5? seems a weird number

SKiLL3D
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
5? seems a weird number...says the DS3-User :rolleyes:

if AB9 can handle 805D@4.7 its capable of running 6600@4.2++ - should be more than enough :D

iLL

Evilsizer
08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Imp']i don't know, more phases is usually better in handling the voltage to the CPU, but the AB9 Pro got a D 805 to 4.7 GHz or something... that's a LOT of power....
well the more phases the more amps in can handle. just like netburst is a power hog it needs lots of amps. the lack of say 8 vs 4 would be that 4 phase will have a higher vdroop then 8. as well as 4 phase power will not be up to the task of high volts for netburst. with conroe needing less amps with 4 phase power we should see nice ocs on cheaper boards, that is if they have ocing features.

im not sure where phase came in but from my limited electronics know-how. if i was running a car amp that needed 30amps of current i would have to parallel more power supplies together to meet that 30amp peak or sustained current.

maybe someone more into "phase" power on mobo could help me out. as all i get from a higher phase is they have more voltage regulators parelled to meet the current(amps) demand of the cpu.

jw but how do you know? i have peaked to see how many regs are under the otes hs but the 2 hs above the cpu there are 3regs per hs there. i know since i took that crap plastic off and used AS-C on them.

Revv23
08-10-2006, 05:47 PM
the amount of phases actually doesnt have as much to do with the amount of power it can supply as it does with the amount of ripple in the current.

Think of one phase as you trying to get a baseball to your friend (the ball being current) and you have to throw the ball as high and far as you can to get it there. the path of the ball can represent a ripple. For two phase, add a second friend in between you and the first friend, that way, you only have to throw the ball half as high, the more friends or phase you add the more direct you can throw the ball, controlling its path more accuratly the shorter the throw.

I know its a pretty bad description and my understanding of it is only very basic... just know that more phases = cleaner, cooler power. Though personnaly i think 4 phase is good enough for anything...its cool to see 6 and 8 phase systems too though.

Evilsizer
08-10-2006, 06:02 PM
the amount of phases actually doesnt have as much to do with the amount of power it can supply as it does with the amount of ripple in the current.

Think of one phase as you trying to get a baseball to your friend (the ball being current) and you have to throw the ball as high and far as you can to get it there. the path of the ball can represent a ripple. For two phase, add a second friend in between you and the first friend, that way, you only have to throw the ball half as high, the more friends or phase you add the more direct you can throw the ball, controlling its path more accuratly the shorter the throw.

I know its a pretty bad description and my understanding of it is only very basic... just know that more phases = cleaner, cooler power. Though personnaly i think 4 phase is good enough for anything...its cool to see 6 and 8 phase systems too though.
hehe and you missed the gigabyte DSQ with 12phase?

menlatin
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
would cooling the mosfets of the a ds3, water cooling maybe, increase higher voltage and current stability? possibly allowing a better conroe overclock as opposed to just allendale?

Evilsizer
08-10-2006, 07:22 PM
would cooling the mosfets of the a ds3, water cooling maybe, increase higher voltage and current stability? possibly allowing a better conroe overclock as opposed to just allendale?
no it wont allow higher voltage or current stablitliy, what it will do is help somewhat with voltage ripple. It will also help with making sure the fets dont over heat. the lower the temp they see the better they can do there job. would be like playing football in the summer heat outside vs a inside dome. where out side you dont have ac to cool off quicker and inside you do. the cooler you stay the better you can play.

burningrave101
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM

The Gigabyte DS3 is only 3 phase and DFI has proven that 4 phase power regulation works on their boards. I think the 12 phase power regulation on the DQ6 is a joke.

Evilsizer
08-10-2006, 07:44 PM
The Gigabyte DS3 is only 3 phase and DFI has proven that 4 phase power regulation works on their boards. I think the 12 phase power regulation on the DQ6 is a joke.
i dont see how it is a joke considering that intel said current c2d mobos will work with kentsfield. That 12phase will come in handy down the road. you just need to make the decision if it is worth it to you.

gundersausage
08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
...says the DS3-User :rolleyes:

Hey when I want your opinion I will beat it out of you with my Johnson and risk the charge of assault with a deadly weapon

[TAG]Imp
08-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey when I want your opinion I will beat it out of you with my Johnson and risk the charge of assault with a deadly weapon
*can't take eyes off avatar*

1945MF
08-10-2006, 11:05 PM
:fact: