PDA

View Full Version : Is the northbridge on the DS3 that big gold thing?

BDBB
08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
How do I stick a fan on it, and what kind of fan do I need to get for it?

Chris583
08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
yes its the nb hs. 40 or 50mm fan would do fine.

BDBB
08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for confirming. How do I go about mounting the fan?

nn_step
08-09-2006, 09:17 PM
zip ties and superglue

ZX7891
08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
i just took a screw and screwed it right in

Vice
08-09-2006, 09:53 PM

haha, a real man.

mystupidmouth
08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Hot Glue gun might work. And its very easy to take off if you ever want to. Mounted 2 120mm fans in my case with it :P

Mikesnav
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Hot glue... that's brilliant. I'm currently using tape as a ghetto mod until I cut my side panel.

supercoe
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I just used super glue on all 4 corners :D

Phosphate
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM

You just put the screw in between 2 fins right? Then let the sidewall tension of the fins hold it in place?

I'm not sure what difference a 50mm fan will make (sounds small), but I guess any active cooling is better than no active cooling.

korruptedone
08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
You could always just replace the entire heatsink as well. Obviously that's more expensive but I dunno how well the stock dealie is even with a fan. I took mine off the moment I got my cooler in the mail. At the very least, replace the thermal grease they use for stock. Mine was horrible, with horrible coverage too. The SB was even worse.

The NB chip is strange. When I popped the heatsink off it came off kinda violently, and I was worried that I might have scraped the chip or something, but I think she's okay. I'm not used to this no heatspreader business on the NB. Hopefully I didn't kill it! Guess I'll find out tomorrow....

Chris583
08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
it would be nice to know how it works for ya Korruptedone, which hs did you get?

Besides the violent take off was install easy? And taking it off did you have to take out mobo?

korruptedone
08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I picked up this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/vid-64.html?id=IeQ2eoum

Install was easy, but yeah you have to dismount the mobo (mine wasn't mounted yet) since you have to put 2 screws through the back. I was worried about pressure on the circuitry surrounding the NB die, so hopefully I didn't smash anything when I screwed the cooler down. I did affix this spongy thing to the HS first, but I dunno. I'll find out in about an hour if she boots or not...

stevey67
08-10-2006, 05:34 PM
korruptedone, what cpu hsf do you have? I am getting the Scythe Ninja+ and would like to know if tha NB cooler will fit under it?

Thanks

menlatin
08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Hot Glue gun might work. And its very easy to take off if you ever want to. Mounted 2 120mm fans in my case with it :P

Oh yeah. Thats what i've been using for my fan on my x1900 vregs. Also added an extra fan to my zeus 650 with hotglue.

stevey67
08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
What does everyone think about the Thermalright HR-05 (http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_hr05.htm) Chipset cooler? I am looking at this maybe the HR-05 SLI (http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_hr05sli.htm) because I will be using the Scythe Ninja+ HSF and i'm not sure if the HR-05 will fit with my HSF? It says you can use an optional 70mmx10mm fan, but I can't find a fan that size anywhere?

08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Iam not sure if extra cooling on the NB helps with OC at all but I'll be putting a small fan there probably using rubber bands as they also stop any vibration from causing noise.

Changing the hsf or paste would invalidate warranties wouldnt it

korruptedone
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
korruptedone, what cpu hsf do you have? I am getting the Scythe Ninja+ and would like to know if tha NB cooler will fit under it?

Thanks

I have the same cpu hsf, and damn that thing is huge! I didn't realize that when I ordered it.

That being said, the NB cooler I linked above fits, but it is a tight fit. The HR-05 I am not sure about fitting with the Ninja, however. I recall a thread that had some pics of the HR-05 mounted on the DS3, but I'm not sure what it was called. I'll see if I can find it, but it was a large one on the DS3 in this forum, I think.

New grease on the NB will void your warranty I'd bet, but just note what color it was and replace it if you need to ever send it back in, if you don't mind the ethics issue (I personally don't). Also, I do think better cooling will help on the NB. It certainly can't hurt, and will certainly contribute to stability and mobo life if you are running a crazy o/c'd FSB. Just my 2 cents, of course, but I will add that many people will probably agree with me on this. Lots of people are reporting their NB's are running pretty hot stock.