PDA

View Full Version : Looking for apple info

Entity_Razer
08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I need info on the apple OS and am looking for people to help me out.

What do I need?:
Info where the apple OS originated from, similarities with linux/unix it shares to this day (aswell as the BSD's) and what it's strongs/weaknesses are.

Also this info needs to be appliable to this day. Now the OS origin is always applicable but more specially I need faults/shortcomming and the strong points of apple's OS and systems it delivers TODAY.

Ofc more contro's then pro's. It's for a debate kind of thing going on in our class and since i'm assinged contra side I need dirt :)

So if you could please help me out.

Thank you

mr.tie
08-17-2006, 07:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS

wikipedia is your friend, as far as con's...

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/opinions/how-macosx-sucks.html

I just found this on google, which is a researchers best friend(besides the lexis-nexis) I assume it this is for a debate class? man I kinda miss debate I'm getting old.

well go forth and search man!

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
up intill OS X linus/bsd was not in the pictue. it was all mac os from 9 back. Good is it works, bad is it is apple's way all the way. No modding / OCing for the most part.

ugp
08-20-2006, 05:02 AM
For apples no need for overclocking though...Everything runs just fine on it.

lross78550
08-20-2006, 03:01 PM
i sell apples and hp, toshiba, sony, ibm. i see uses for the apple specific fields where the apple shines and special apps that do indead make doing those task on a mac better and easier. but the idea that it just works or that its that much different than any other os is just bunk for the most part. ive seen reboots fix just as many problems on os x tiger as on windows xp. and once you enter the terminal screen (command line screen) on os x you realize that even though the gui does a good job of hiding it. behind the interface its just like all other os's. Heres a link to the basic commnad line syntax on os x.

http://www.ss64.com/osx/

and for every base command there are subcommands and switches just like all the other os's

whats the command for list directory on unix? ....... ls
ck out what the ls command does on os x in the link above :)

Apple and Bose are both good companies at 2 things above all else marketing and what ever the professional term is for people who do (design aesthetics and user interface design)

A company like cisco went the other way they make awesome products but pay no attention to design aesthetics and mastering their user interface should be its own 4 year college degree.

At its heart a cisco router is a computer that boots up and does its assigned task. You talk about a rock solid os... ive seen cisco routers run for 18-24 months without ever needing a reboot. Im sure there are some out there who have seen them run longer. If cisco where to design a computer os im sure it would be the best the world has ever seen.. now only 3 people on the planet would be able to understand it and use it. but i bet it would work.

After working on computers and networks for the last 15 years ive come to one conclusion. when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of it, its all the same crap.

JMO
Lee

ugp
08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't have no where near as many problems on a Mac...everytime I touch Windows it is always freezing locking up or something...Even trying to browse the web iE will freeze...and I am always like "WTF!"

[XC] mysticmerlin
08-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't have no where near as many problems on a Mac...everytime I touch Windows it is always freezing locking up or something...Even trying to browse the web iE will freeze...and I am always like "WTF!"

Yep what he said. I have my mac for the net and work and wondowz for games. Think of my PC as my other Xbox :slap:

ugp
08-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Yep what he said. I have my mac for the net and work and wondowz for games. Think of my PC as my other Xbox :slap:
Yup I got an Xbox as well...but a real Xbox...my next desktop will be a Mac Pro...

And I would love one of those 30" Cinema Monitors...everytime I go into an Apple store I nut myself when I see it.