PDA

View Full Version : LGA Processor Heat Spreader Removal

Silver Bullet
08-09-2006, 06:05 AM
This doesn't look like it's going to be possible for most people and I think we can all put this one to bed.

Link: Vr-zone (http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3878&s=1)

http://resources.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/ihsremoval/5.jpg
(chip is solder to the HS.. so it's not coming off easy, here the core is stuck to the HS and has come off the chip.

The author did get one on the second try, but he still has to test to see if its going to work. Personally, I’m not going to be risking my shiny new C2D to such a risky process for a couple more Mhz :rolleyes:

Shpoon
08-09-2006, 06:08 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1638638#post1638638

He beat you to it ;)

And ya, as of now, all he did was ruin 2 chips.

trojan
08-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Good thing it's not an option imo, managed to pretty much destroy my opty doing that. I am a noob though. :D

[XC]melymel
08-09-2006, 06:19 AM
As shamino said in the article though he was trying to lift the IHS off and so would be endangering the core if the solder wasn't fully melted, his idea of sliding it off next time seems much more sensible. I'm tempted to try it but If i were to destroy an x6800 (or any cpu) doing it I would end up crying so simply lapping it will be fine for me, for now....

This doesn't look like it's going to be possible for most people and I think we can all put this one to bed.

I think plenty of people will be able to do it, it's just going to require a few people to test and find the best method so as to get a greater success rate and lure more people into trying it, but to type a line like the one I just quoted is very un-Xtreme. :slap: :p:

:toast:

Btrice
08-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I don't know much about how these processors are set up (in terms of space between the ihs and core which is filled with solder, and max allowable temps) but this might be an idea that could work:

Basically you make yourself a small oven setup (maybe a metal box with holes cut into the sides with some sort of mounting arms that hold the cpu upside down in the center of the box). Slowly raise the ambient temperature in the box to the temp the solder gets runny and leave it at that temperature for enough time as either the ihs falls off due to gravity or with a small nudge.

Then after you are done measure the core location out on the IHS and use a dremel to cut out a square hole that will allow the core to perfectly fit through the IHS. Then you want to sand down the ihs as normal making it perfectly flat. Then you can reassemble and fit it into the socket (thought I read somewhere that you need to have the ihs installed to fit the socket).

Again I am not sure the distance between IHS and core and am not sure if that would leave you with something like this:

|---------____---------|
edge core edge

But it is an idea. And if you do the setup correctly and permanently, might be able to be offered as a service.

Pete
08-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I think you should turn it up side down and heat it form the top of the IHS then it'll dropp off on it's off accord as to being made to do soemthing!!

Could the die be softing at 80c!!!

lawrywild
08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Whoa, that looks nasty :eek:

oohms
08-09-2006, 06:57 AM
removing the heatspreader is easy...

step 1: use a razor blade to make sure that all the silicone around the edge has been cut through

step 2: use a clamping device and hold the cpu upside down (so you have 2 free hands)

step 3: get a lighter and use it to heat up the IHS, it takes about 20 seconds or so, then gently see if you can get the heatspreader to slide off sideways

step 4: use a razor blade again to get rid of any excess solder from the core

remember to NEVER try and lever the ihs off the core... thats how most people kill their chips when doing this

also im not sure if this is a good idea for socket 775 cpus since the metal bracket that holds in the cpu might be taller than the core itself, so finding a cooler that will fit will be hard.

ill see if i can get some pics of a socket 478 prescott whose ihs i removed :D

Pete
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I think the plan is to remove the IHS cut a section out so the die is open but a small frame is there hold the chip in the mobo!

Just fitted my chip back in after cleaning it up!

You only need the section that is stuck to the pcb wafer!!! So you can basicly if you can get the IHS off just remove that whole raised section! section!

Btrice
08-09-2006, 07:51 AM
I think the plan is to remove the IHS cut a section out so the die is open but a small frame is there hold the chip in the mobo!

Just fitted my chip back in after cleaning it up!

You only need the section that is stuck to the pcb wafer!!! So you can basicly if you can get the IHS off just remove that whole raised section! section!

Or you can read my post above where I've suggested that already!!!

Silver Bullet
08-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I think plenty of people will be able to do it, it's just going to require a few people to test and find the best method so as to get a greater success rate and lure more people into trying it, but to type a line like the one I just quoted is very un-Xtreme. :slap: :p:

:toast:

I'm xtreme .. just not rich :rolleyes:

menlatin
08-09-2006, 09:47 AM
OUCH....

Well how about this. Just an idea im throwing out but here we go.

1st, yuo'd need either ln2, or phase change, i think phase would be easier. Or maybe even a peltier might work, but anways. Put your cold part on the back of the cpu, in the center of course, and then heat the IHS. This might allow the solder for the core to stay just cool enough to hold, while the solder on the ihs would budge. Anyone? I mean if only 10* were the factor between pop and no pop, it might work?

Or what about the idea where you slowly increase pulling pressure with multiple thin razor blades between the IHS and the cpu package, over the course of an hour or more.