PDA

View Full Version : next gran prix?

i found nemo
08-08-2006, 09:57 AM
oh man, i loved that gran prix we had a while back. it was alot of fun, and since then we have many more new ppl who'd maybe like to experience the endurance of the gran prix. :woot: :toast:

K.I.T.T.
08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
bump for a great idea :D

[XC]melymel
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
What's involved in the "gran prix"? I don't think I was around for the last one. :toast:

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
it started out as a competition with points and stuff, but wound up more like a torture test for all the participants. everybody who survived and had scores for all 5 "tracks" (18 or 19 of us) were randomly drawn and got stuff. some free hardware, free futuremark benchies (pro versions), shirts, etc.
it was a good time, but damn was it tough to survive

tdunks
08-08-2006, 07:09 PM
what kind of stuff did it involve?

ZX7891
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
it was funny, because everyone's hardware died, and only those who's hardware had survived won

[XC] DragonOrta
08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I'd definately be up for that. I think I'd take all the records for the S3 virge on the ORB. :p:

WeStSiDePLaYa
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
why did peoples hardware die?

Entity_Razer
08-09-2006, 01:28 AM
why did peoples hardware die?

Didn't die it was more like someone overtweaked and screwed up their windows install, or tried to Vmod and ofc fried something due to to much volts etc...

I got a Pro version of 3Dmark 05 back then :D

I'll see that if I get time tonight i can whip up a game plan for a new Grand prix and run it by you lot.

i found nemo
08-09-2006, 04:56 AM
lol @ silly

well when i played i could have been the fastest for 754... but i changed my vid card after the 1st week, so since i switched h.w. i could not win anything, but i kept goin'. it was 01,03,05-aquamark-superpi-'n i forgot the rest, there were so many benchies.

i think it should be catagorized by cooling first, then speed, then socket. that way all of our friends from older platforms can still compete

Shpoon
08-09-2006, 06:06 AM
2,344 posts at Xtreme Systems and you need to ask why parts died during a OCing competition? :slap:

And I was one of the few survivors from the last one. I think there were 50 to 60 people at the start of the event, and only about 18 of us left at the end. It was pretty grueling and people were dropping left and right. It was still pretty fun and I nabbed a DDR Booster as a prize. Meh, I'd do it again...

Well, everyone keeps asking "what was it?" and no one's answered yet, so it's a valid question.

We know it's an OC thing, but what did it involve?

i found nemo
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, everyone keeps asking "what was it?" and no one's answered yet, so it's a valid question.

We know it's an OC thing, but what did it involve?

lol @ silly

well when i played i could have been the fastest for 754... but i changed my vid card after the 1st week, so since i switched h.w. i could not win anything, but i kept goin'. it was 01,03,05-aquamark-superpi-'n i forgot the rest, there were so many benchies.

i think it should be catagorized by cooling first, then speed, then socket. that way all of our friends from older platforms can still compete

yep no clues in there :slapass: :fact:

it was a series of benchmarks i think it ran for 2 months? 1 week per benchmark to get the best score possible

Shpoon
08-09-2006, 11:30 AM
yep no clues in there :slapass: :fact:

it was a series of benchmarks i think it ran for 2 months? 1 week per benchmark to get the best score possible

There were no clues :slap: (back at ya) we understand it's about benching...

Does that tell if it was teams? Were things weighted the same? So on and so forth.

Thanks for your description though...

Shpoon
08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
It was a free for all competition. It was to be broken down into different cooling and graphics card categories. There was a series of benches that were run - 3DMark01, 03, 05, Aquamark3, Super Pi and some other stuff(I think).

So you would register your machine/config, and then run one bench a week. You would submit your highest score for that bench, and move on to the next weeks benchmark, whatever it happened to be. I think it took about 1 month for the whole thing from start to finish.

At the end of about 5 or 6 weeks, after all the benches were run, scores were totalled and winners were chosen. With all the people that dropped out, there were no losers - everyone who remained won a prize. It really turned into a battle of endurance more than anything and I had a good time.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Curious though, was it a highest bench from your stock speeds, or highest bench overall? If so, this machine I'm on (a few years old) would get blown away :p

[XC] leviathan18
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
we had to score the top we could do oc to max i had great 05 and 03 scores in the air part with my 6600gt sli i was in the first page of the 6600gt so it was pretty good we took our HW to the limit and beyond for 5 weeks and we couldnt change our HW unless it was for the same pretty nice stuff

m0da
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
that sounds fncking awesome, im up for that!!!

*edit: if i can get am3 running properly again >>

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
probably the largest reason we didn't have a second one is because the first was run by saaya, who is currently overwhelmed with real life and has thus fallen off the face of XS

WeStSiDePLaYa
08-09-2006, 05:37 PM
2,344 posts at Xtreme Systems and you need to ask why parts died during a OCing competition? :slap:

And I was one of the few survivors from the last one. I think there were 50 to 60 people at the start of the event, and only about 18 of us left at the end. It was pretty grueling and people were dropping left and right. It was still pretty fun and I nabbed a DDR Booster as a prize. Meh, I'd do it again...

well, to be honest ive never killed anything through overclocking, only through accidents while handling. the latest was a 3000 sempron mobile that i only used for 2 days. :(

and ive pushed things, run 1.9v daily on my venice core sempy, 1.8v on my x800pro. accidently gave its mem over 3v when turning the VR too fast.

i found nemo
08-09-2006, 05:55 PM
well someone should pm fugger 'n see what we can get.

Entity_Razer
08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
If I remember to do so I'll ask'm tonight if I catch'm on MSN (not likely) or just PM him myself yhea. I was thinking along the lines of the old GP to run this in tracks. every week another track.

The race'd be:
3DMARK 01
3DMARK 03
PC mark 05
3DMARK 05
Cinebench 95 or something
Sciencemark.

THis will ensure that all generation of comps can enter from brand new to relativly old systems and that all performance is measured. Not just 3D scores so that the SLI/CF people get uber scores but also people with raptors/Xeons/opterons... what not.

Same rules as before
1 setup to enter, Vmods etc allowed and if a part dies only the SAME part can be used to replace it or something of lower performance then that (retail performance ;) )

Criticism?

i found nemo
08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
damn, sounds good to me, don't forget pi, aquamark

K.I.T.T.
08-10-2006, 09:51 AM
how about a stock vs oc'd competition?

i found nemo
08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
nah no point.

Chojun
08-10-2006, 10:07 AM
i have a copy of the original XGP1 and the XGP2 ;)

*edit
why? cause i made it lol; ^^
here is number 2

XtremeGrandPrix: The Next level

Setting up /signing in
Entering wil be done by giving rigs specs
cpu,mobo,gfx,ddr,cooling
Starting
The xs gp crew will collect all info and decide wich teams wil be formed. Teams wil choose their name and report in.
To make it clear who is who,a tag must be placed in sig(team name ofcourse)
Bench programs and their rules
*Aquamark03--free drivers usage
*3Dmark01--free driver usage--def reso
*3Dmark03--aproved drivers--def reso
*3Dmark05--aproved drivers--def reso
*3Dmark06--aproved drivers--def reso

XGP tests
XGP-1 : "First come First serve"
Includes 3Dmark01/03/
Its an exact copie of Fuggers contest,first team to reach the magical numbers win.
Difficulty however,if one posts the 01 score the other has to post the 03 score.
Team wins when entering both scores.
Points system,
1-12p
2-10p
3-8p
4-6p
5-4p
6-2p
7-1p
XGP-2 : "Lone ride"

Includes Aquamark
This time you will need to push every bit out of your rig. Your team wil get a default score/number according to the rig.
The point is to get hard over it, the harder the better. Both overclocks wil be calculated in the total overclock.
Example
A)9800XT-45K
B)5600Ultra-25K

A)end score -52K-->15.5%
B)end score -28K-->12

average: 13.75%
Once you submitted the average,there is no turning back,be wise and use your time :)

Points system,
1-30p
2-25p
3-20p
4-15p
5-10p
6-7p
7-5p

XGP-3 : "The Beauty and the Beast"
Includes 3Dmark05
This one looks the same as the previous one yet slightly enchanged and wil play a very important role in this GP,
This time we are going to play with GT2 forest fly...
Once again your team wil get their default fps to surpas with a nice margin.
The calculation will slightly different and as said it wil play a very important role in your points!,

Example(not real)
A)9800XT-10fps
B)5600Ultra-3fps

A)end score -15fps
B)end score -8fps

15-10=5
8-3=5
5+5=10*3-->total points won 30p

Once you submitted the gain,there is no turning back,use your time!

XGP-4 : "Gambling-How deep can you fall?"
Includes 3Dmark06 & 01
This time we are not going to aim for big numbers.The goal is easy get as low as you can with al game test ran.
Scoring system explained,
3dmark06 & 3dmark01

3dmark06
A)9800XT-50p
B)5600Ultra-30p

80/2=40

3dmark01
A)9800XT-800
B)5600Ultra400

1200/2=600

total points earned

1000-( 600+40) =360

the lower you go the better you score!

Final score: (XGP1 + XGP2 +XGP3 + XGP4) / 2

author : Troman

i found nemo
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
hmm i dunno we'll have to get ppl to sign up first to see what kinda systems we'll be getting in. how do we determine who's " tagged "

Chojun
08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
hmm i dunno we'll have to get ppl to sign up first to see what kinda systems we'll be getting in. how do we determine who's " tagged "
according to the generation of pc.

Entity_Razer
08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
damn, sounds good to me, don't forget pi, aquamark
Right Aquamark is almost mandatory :o

I don't intend to do a superPi run though. People with the new conroe's which are Pi monsters vs people with the previus gen of comps ...

BTW Pi doesn't actually mean anything any more thanks to the Conroe :D So unless I can make a formula (or anyone can help me with one...) to give points based on system/pi score I don't intend to include pi into this.

BTW we have a nice idea forming here :D I like the Coop but we'll need good a good lot of prizes to be able to supply all with a decent prize then...

The amount of prizes we can get will make or breack the idea I reckon

ZX7891
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
i have a copy of the original XGP1 and the XGP2 ;)

*edit
why? cause i made it lol; ^^

author : Troman

mods can you take care of this for me

[XC] leviathan18
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
crap only if i could remember what i said to perk for a good GP..... lol me and my bad mem..... well i think the perfect time is december low temps hollydays and spare time to make this

[XC] moddolicous
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I'd be in if you guys can hold this off until like the beginning of september the earliest, as thats when some of my new stuff should be arriving.

Johnny Bravo
08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
So long as it's based on the overclokc and not the outright score in 3Dwhatever then it's good, nothing more annoying than a competition that only caters for those who have the money to buy the best!

"If" you were thinking of doing Spi (which I doubt you will) then the best way to even it out would be to get a few folk to run matching setups on different platforms, then see clock-for-clock what each cpu gets. Then level the playing field with a corresponding fudge factor to that they'd all score the same they'd been run for real. Perhaps tho it's just a little too much hassle.

Also yeah please do delay it for awhile as theres another comp running thru August atm. Plus teams need to be decided etc....

i found nemo
08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
i still dunno about the team thing how would you distribute a prize to a team? you can't give out 10 gb worth the ram for free.

Chojun
08-11-2006, 02:16 AM
i still dunno about the team thing how would you distribute a prize to a team? you can't give out 10 gb worth the ram for free.
not every compo has to have prizes :)
you can also join for the spirit and fun? ;)

@ZX7891

yes i love you to ;)

oohms
08-11-2006, 04:16 AM
I remember missing out on the last one by a few days :(
It would be awesome if you guys could have another one, ill def be there!!!

i found nemo
08-11-2006, 04:45 AM
not every compo has to have prizes :)
you can also join for the spirit and fun

eh, fine by me. i dunno about the other ppl though :stick:

Zardokk
08-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd join. Prizes aren't important to me. But a good OCing competition...now that's what I like to see.

i found nemo
08-11-2006, 09:02 AM
well then we gotta change the title to " gran prix - not really a competition ... just do it for fun " i mean, just cuz we haven't figured out a way to distribute prizes does not mean we should just throw the idea of winning something away. ppl will be modding thier hw to push it to the max to win, the least we can do is give them a kick ass psu, mobo, cpu, ram, vid card. lets be honest no less than 20 % of ppl will lose hardware due to this competition, the least you can do is make prizes availible. imagine this " hey dude what happened to ur 7950? " " oh i broke it in a competition i was so close to winning " " what was the prize? " " what prize?" " you broke ur card for nothing?" " yep " " :slapass: "

i found nemo
08-13-2006, 05:39 AM
well ladies and gents... has anyone got any faboulous ideas?

oohms
08-14-2006, 04:13 AM
I dont think prizes are the most important thing... the chance to push my hardware to the limit in some kind of organised competition would be totally awesome :D

Chojun
08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
well ladies and gents... has anyone got any faboulous ideas?
something wrong with the second GP i wrote?:)

exhausted mule
08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
i'd be up for this. but only if its around the holidays. i'll have a tweaked and ready comp to blow up and pretty all free time.

(good temps too... oh yeah...)

pls pls.

do this.

HaxR3
08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Aslong as its later than end of september then im in :D

hopefully it will be OC increase cuz otherwise ill loose :lol:

InSanCen
09-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm up for another one... although I'm busy, could manage a bench a week...

Loved the previous one... got a DDR Booster too... Also did some Artwork, but Saaya got busy then, and never posted it...

[XC] MarioMaster
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
i'd be in with some old school socket A action and maybe AM2 (if my rig works by then) :)

boshuter
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Right Aquamark is almost mandatory :o

I don't intend to do a superPi run though. People with the new conroe's which are Pi monsters vs people with the previus gen of comps ...

BTW Pi doesn't actually mean anything any more thanks to the Conroe :D So unless I can make a formula (or anyone can help me with one...) to give points based on system/pi score I don't intend to include pi into this.

Pi means exactly the same thing it always did, just because newer hardware is faster is no reason to say the benchmark isn't valid. You could say the same thing about any benchmark if you compare todays scores with scores from a few years ago. This smacks of the "well that bench is optimized for (insert Intel/Amd here)" that we used to hear so much from the fanboys ;) ...... and no... I'm not running a Conroe :) I just don't think the people that are should be penalized for doing so.

I'm all for another Gran Prix... I won a set of OCZ PC4000 in the last one :woot:

Johnny Bravo
09-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Pi means exactly the same thing it always did, just because newer hardware is faster is no reason to say the benchmark isn't valid. You could say the same thing about any benchmark if you compare todays scores with scores from a few years ago. This smacks of the "well that bench is optimized for (insert Intel/Amd here)" that we used to hear so much from the fanboys ;) ...... and no... I'm not running a Conroe :) I just don't think the people that are should be penalized for doing so.

I'm all for another Gran Prix... I won a set of OCZ PC4000 in the last one :woot:

While I agree that there's no point in ditching a benchmark because newer hardware will run it faster, I do think it's important to factor in a fudge factor for older cpu's or you'll end up wit ha comp that is only won based on how new your hardware is. I skilled overclocker on an older platform may only get close to a person with little skill on a new rig, but things like superpi will say that the new rig is faster regardless of overclock.

[XC] gomeler
09-17-2006, 03:15 PM
I would be down for this competition. I think a good way to distribute points would be to run a stock and then overclocked benchmark run and compare the percentage change. This way you keep Conroes from spanking AMD64's and you keep multi GPU solutions from destroying a single x1300. By making the competition available to anyone no matter what computer they are running we will see a larger turnout and possibly more records broken.

I_G
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
For anyone interested, here's the results of the first one:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71097&highlight=Grand+Prix

Started with 47 players, ended with 19.

exhausted mule
09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
I would be down for this competition. I think a good way to distribute points would be to run a stock and then overclocked benchmark run and compare the percentage change. This way you keep Conroes from spanking AMD64's and you keep multi GPU solutions from destroying a single x1300. By making the competition available to anyone no matter what computer they are running we will see a larger turnout and possibly more records broken.

exactly what i was thinking.

the percentage of gain from the overclock from stock would level the entire field.

it would seperate the men from the mice and most probably the more dedicated from the casuals.

best idea imho.

erwinz
10-04-2006, 11:04 PM
mm.. when is the next competition? i hope i can participate..:D

[XC] gomeler
10-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Good question, I guess we are waiting for someone else to do all the planning :-\

i found nemo
11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
For anyone interested, here's the results of the first one:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71097&highlight=Grand+Prix

Started with 47 players, ended with 19.

one of those was me :) if i would have had my scores put in on the right dates i would have domdinated the 754 platform :( . anyways ladies and gents i'm thinking the best time to start this would be after christmas ( 27th) that way nobody is busy AND by then ppl will have new kick ass hardware. well, those whom recieve lol

[XC] gomeler
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
after christmas would be great as then I'd have extra money just incase I break stuff during the gran prix :) I'm definetly down.

i found nemo
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
so guys, what's the deal????

[XC] gomeler
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
heck if I know, been 3+ months and no talk :p: Just had the HWbot challenge from fugger and that was fun, might have a distributed computing gran prix, but no idea about a standard gran prix.

i found nemo
02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
well i hope someone ( yes you sponsors ) sees this .... wink wink

i found nemo
06-29-2007, 05:59 AM
???

mukmaster
07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I so could go for a grand prix right now it's summer school kids are board and I have a decent job right now and a few xtra bucks. so +1 for a PRIX

[XC] gomeler
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
well we have the forum wars spooling up, join in on that if you'd like then perhaps in the fall we can get a gran prix started up?

i found nemo
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
i don't even think i can put in for forum wars cuz i'm the only s754. lol.

[XC] gomeler
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Well judging at the rate of people joining we could probably use anything available :D