PDA

View Full Version : Naked Pentium Investigation by Shamino

JuanFlaiter
08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Peter attempted to find a way to take the IHS of LGA775 processors. Unfortunately he had no luck but the pictures are definitely worth seeing.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3878

AndrewZorn
08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
its like seeing pictures of dead people

EDIT i thought something up a while ago that im not sure is a good idea or not
i know id never do it, but...
what if you used relatively low grit sandpaper and sanded until you hit solder instead of copper/nickel... then as soon as you do switch to very high grit, and go very slow. perhaps go all the way through the solder if you can. i mean, you could just stop once you got some shiny/flat solder if you wanted. some people lap CORES anyway so this shouldnt be that much different...
either way you get to keep the EDGES of the IHS, so mounting would not be destroyed, and there is no chance of ripping off the core

if it works you have to name it after me though

rick_fx
08-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Ouch, 2 dead CPU's within 1 hour :eek:

I still believe Shimano will manage to remove an IHS successfully :)

LuckyNV
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Meanwhile, I'll put the core back on the PCB. I think it should work again... what say you??

:D :D :D

Pyr0
08-07-2006, 08:46 PM
i wonder if it was clamped upside down on an angle and blasted with hot air, if the ihs would just fall off at the right temp without having to pry at it

Nasgul
08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Why not use a dremel tool and cut away from the outter edge of the core and then blast the remaining part of the heat-spreader off from the core.

After all, dremel tool accessories can be small enough to cut through that.

nikhsub1
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
There is an easy way to do this... it has been done before, the problem is that once the IHS is removed, the CPU can no longer be mounted in the socket (775) so what is the point?

Haltech
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Yea, i was looking at the IHS when i first got my 775 Cely.. Coming from AMD, its pretty easy to adapt the fan mount by shaving it to make up the diff on ihs contact. Seeing that the socket relies on the ihs to lock into place, kinda useless. Although, now thinking about it.. it may just keep an idiot from loading the cpu incorrectly. It may still lock into place.

Im curious as how in the hell they got solder to stick to the core?

AndrewZorn
08-07-2006, 09:00 PM
no think aboutit if youjust take off the TOP part by sanding, then the lower 'sides' still remain in place. it wont mess with the mount... would it?

STEvil
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44854

should be a similar process, add about 50-70c of heat to make the solder maleable....

G H Z
08-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes but it might also be that the solder or whatever is attaching the core to the PCB is weakened by the heat as well. Personally I think sanding/polishing the core accomplishes the same thing and is 100 times safer. Proth over @ OCF popped a 920 and it seemed to go perfectly but the chip was still dead.

Big kudo's to Sham for being brave enough to share this :D

dinos22
08-07-2006, 09:47 PM
someone had to try hey................good on ya for trying Sham