PDA

View Full Version : Building a water chiller

Mr Dead
03-21-2003, 01:06 AM
I was thinking about trying to build a water chiller using a Dangerden maze3 block on the cold side to chill water and a Swiftech MCX462+ with 80mm fan on the hot side to remove heat and not add extra heat to water cooling system. Both these items use the 4 mounting holes around the chip so I should be able to bolt them together sandwiching a 220w pelt in the middle. I would use artic silver 3 on all the surfaces. Is it worth the money and wha sort of water temp drops could I expect?

full loaded
04-08-2003, 03:21 AM
dont think it wil actualy chill, just buy a chiller our use a rad.
our chill your water whit a phase-change likly thing.

]JR[
04-08-2003, 03:38 AM
Youll need ~800watts of tecs (cooling power) to build a worthwile chiller, and a power station to run them, as well as a dual loop wc system with about 4 large rads to dump the heat. Which isnt really cost effective when you look at the price of dehumidifers on ebay and alike, which are simple to mod into waterchillers.

]JR[

WesM63
04-09-2003, 06:58 PM
I know P0, has one for sale in the FS forums. Kinda expensive to set up, but powerfull :D

docah
04-10-2003, 06:43 AM
There was another guy on here keeping his water at ambient or slightly below with only 2 pelts and his was temp controlled to maintain consistent temps. Was a rather nice setup..

jinu117
04-20-2003, 12:39 AM
I tried exact same thing about a week ago.

Maze 3 + 80w pelt + Heatsink & Fan.

I lost about 2c in CPU temp vs not having one. (CPU & GPU watercooled with BIX in there)
I would presume 225W would get you nice 4-5c (depending on how high water temp you have) if you can figure out to air cool it decently (which I gave up... even had trouble with 125W pelt I had).
If water chilling is involved, I personally would go phase change for now until the new pelt like technology with higher efficiency shows up. (my room is hot as is already... in retrospect, since I am raising the abmient temp few degrees easily, I probably will lose the 1-2c I gained with chilling in no time...:P)

hedge
04-30-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by ]JR[
Which isnt really cost effective when you look at the price of dehumidifers on ebay and alike, which are simple to mod into waterchillers.

]JR[

Hey JR, do you have any links for how to mod a dehumidifier or such into a water chiller? I got a couple of them handy somewhere in my home.

hedge

zacharyaus
05-23-2003, 04:20 PM
can an MCX462+ even dissipate the high amount of heat that a 226w pelt generates? :slobber:

texuspete00
06-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Hey JR, do you have any links for how to mod a dehumidifier or such into a water chiller? I got a couple of them handy somewhere in my home.

Ditto, a statement like that has us all :slobber:

]JR[
06-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Sorry for the non-replys guys didnt see it till now

Check here (http://3rotor.homelinux.com/) for #Rotors guide, look under FAQ -> Dehumidifer conversion. For 6pages and extensive pictures on howto....

Hope it helps.

]JR[