PDA

View Full Version : Fan question for the Radiator.

Yoad
08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi,

I have two 120mm fans that came as stock exauhst fans on my Gigabyte Aurora 3D, the GB site specifys they run at 1K RPM and push 40+/-10% of CFM, however I feel like they are pushing more like 20+/-10% of CFM.

Question is: Will that be enough to be my Rad's fans? my rad is going to be Black Ice Pro II ...

I don't really have much money left to buy two new fans, plus I don't want much noise so I figured i'll mount the radiator on the exauhst case fans [I've seen many other does this too] and I don't want to add extra two fans to the noise...........

2'nd question:

Has anyone here used Car Coolant Liquid [Aka "Green Water] as his coolant liquid in his loop? I wanna know if it is any good, since it was made specificaly for cooling loops it should be..

3'rd question:

My socket is going to be S AM2.. will I be using the stock clip-on patent to mount my water block on it? Its pretty lame if it is... [I haven't recived the waterblock yet so I don't know, its one of those new MP-05 Pro that comes with AM2 brackets. but I don't know how they work]

Anyone has exprience with watercooling and AM2?

-Jo.

Batman!
08-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Yate Loons would be a great choice to pair up with that bip2. Only 3.95 at jab-tech.com

Yoad
08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Yeah well the price would be more like 30$ for those where I live, and I got no where to get 30$ for......... thats why im asking if its so bad?

Any other info? About my other questions? :S

-Jo.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Why? Where do you live? They ship everywhere, cheap...

Yoad
08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
The shipping will cost me x50 times than what the two fans will cost me X_X

my brother is bringing me the w/c kit from US himself...... no room for 2 120mm fans in his suitcase :/ .

Just wonderd about whether a 20-30cfm fans will do for the time being till I get more money... I just spent like 2k US Dollars on my new pc.

-Jo.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm asking again: where do you live?

Yoad
08-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Israel, Middle east.

-Jo.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Try getting them from here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/silencio-777

Yate Loon D12SL-12.

And see if he ships to israel and for how much. If he doesent, send him an email, the page is in german but he speaks english. Postage to the UK was cheaper than some local postage costs I've paid.

Otheriwse try PM'ing J-Mag here on XS, I had 15 Yates sent to me by him (from california), it was 5$ postage for one, and 15$ for 15...

Yoad
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
lol

Goddamn, just get to the question dude, forget about yate loons...

Will those two 20-30cfm fans will hold me up with that rad for a while ?!.

I'm not gonna buy fans from the other side of earth --_-;;;;;;;.

and you guys totaly ignored the rest of the post >.<; its also not less important.

-Jo.

Yoad
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
What i'm trying to say is, will it be SO bad to use 20-30cfm fans for meantime? if its SOOO Horrible i'll shed the money on new fans but I really rather not [Ive got other stuff on my shop list > money that goes up here, goes down there........]

-Jo.

Jochenp
08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
That cooling liquid is worse tahn pure water.
20-30cfm is like, uhm ,nothing, but you can always try :)

thunderstruck!
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Let's just say I move 20 cfm of air when I smoke. 20-30cfm is nothing really. Also, nothing is better than 100% distilled/de-ionized water. NOTHING!:toast:

creidiki
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, 30CFM is like a Yate @ 7.5v, or there abouts. Which is fine on a PA if you have aircon/your ambient dont go too far above 24c.

On other rads it starts being borderline unless youre running an oversized rad - ie. triple rad on cpu + single gpu.

Dont expect amazing temps from that BIP II. I suggest you make yourself a shroud and put them in pull cause youll really want to milk every last shred of performance out of them.

Dont use premixed coolants. Distilled/Deionized + a few drops of iodine/a cap or zerex/hydryx/water wetter/a 10% solution of phosphate and silicate-free antifreeze.

And no, it wont be using the stock clip. Though it will use the stock bracket thats on the motherboard. Screwed onto it.

Oh, and how, exactly, is germany "the other side of the world"?

Yoad
08-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Middle east is nowhere near germany.. perhaps not other side of the world, but... very far.

On your suggestion about liquid HOLY.. you lost me completley, do you think i'm running a pharamacy here?.. I dont even know what are those things o.o;;;;;;;; can't we keep it simple? >.< distilled water is easy for me to get, I can get that pentsoin or w/e that additives name was on petras shop and... 90% ethanol alcohol if it helps anything.. i dont know what is zerex, I dont know what kind of iodine to use[the red one we put on wounds?!] you get my point lol..

hmm, natural ambient temp here is 33-30c, with AC on its 21-26c, what temps should I be expecting? is there a better radiator for that price range? and what temps should I be expecting if I get 50-60CFM fans?......

I'm only running 1 cpu / 1 gpu loop, no chipset cooler or stuff like that.

Thanks about the info about how will it mount... i wonder, is that as good as any other bolt-on mounting solution? [on other sockets].. I AM intending to get rid of my cpu's IHS at some point if the waterblock allows it.

Let's just say I move 20 cfm of air when I smoke. 20-30cfm is nothing really. Also, nothing is better than 100% distilled/de-ionized water. NOTHING!:toast:
You must have VERY strong lungs then.....

-Jo.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Pentosin 5%-10% solution is good. Ethanol isnt, Ethylene Glycol is antifreeze :)

Zerex = Zerex Racing Super Coolant, its a car additive for racing cars with Alu blocks and Copper rads, its the best out there thermically as it doesent have glycol (which is denser than h2o, and impacts your coolants viscosity and heat transfer properties) but many people dont like it because it tends to stain tubes a light pink. Not that a 10% solution of Pentosin will make your temps measurably worse, really.

You should be fine as you have AC, but the better similarly-priced rads are Swiftech MCR/Cooltek Maxistream (same rads, different name), or Black Ice GT. Exact prices depend on where you are, in the USA BIP is cheaper than MCR, in the UK MCR is cheaper. Best rads ofc are PAs.

Imposible to predict temps with any degree of precision, too many factors, but something like high30s/low40s as load temps should be achievable.

MP-05s mounting solution is great, and it allows you to remove the IHS should feel like it.

Keep in mind that while the MP-05 is a great block, you will get better temps with a cheaper block and a better rad.

Yoad
08-03-2006, 11:44 AM
lol well I can get the MCR 220 if it will be THAT much of a diffrence... but i've heard that the BIP II is the best for low cfm fans........ which is what I have ATM

Why od I need zerex? All I have on my loop is pure copper

Radiator is copper, mp-05 is copper, maze 4 gpu block is copper... thats.. all I have in the loop.

Should I be expecting any corrosion even so? Or 'cloudy waters'?

So in bottom line all I should be getting is two gallons of distilled water [one for the washing part, other for filling the loop...] and pentosin additive? Anything else needed?..

and IF I replace my fans to say arctic fan 12's will I be getting MUCH better temps?

-Jo.

Dtess17
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think the stock fans are gonna be good enough for your rad to be honest.

I think you should find shops near you and get something better.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Its not. The graduatory goes like Thermochill PA -> Watercool HTSF -> Swiftech/Cooltek -> Black Ice GT -> Black Ice Pro, with the PA a fair bit ahead of everyone else.

Additive is for algae prevention. Going to 45-50CFM jobbies will get you a degree or 2. Yates are better and cheaper than AC fans tho =p

Yoad
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
going from 30cfm to 50cfm will only do me a 1-2c degrees diffrence? Hell, thats not worth paying 30$ for!..

Hmm, that pentsoin will prevent Alge? BTW What iodine did oyu mean? the red liquid we use to clear wounds?..

-Jo.

creidiki
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, 1-2c with a PA. With a BIP is probably more like 4c.

And 2 Yates would cost you about 15$ shipped =p