PDA

View Full Version : just how many mobos do i need?

deathstar13
03-16-2003, 12:36 PM
well mostly thanks to you guys here at XS im having a record breaking year of smoked parts.1-dead 8rda and 1-dead mx440
2-dead cpu's.
heres my quandry,i have now and am useing a a7n8x non delux.was all i could find in a time of desperation when my 8rda suddenly died.
tomorow my abit nf7 1.2 will be here from newegg.
and im rmaing the 8rda.

i can take the asus back under the 30day like it or return it policy at a local shop.i paid $139 way to much but was either that or a kt333 mobo.
$139 applied to other parts can go a decent ways.but should i keep it for a backup? the 8rda will be in the mail so i cant scavenge bios from it if the abits bios fails?

ive just been in the "have 2 similier parts as backups at all time" mode.but im almost afraid i will be moboless again if i send the asus back and my 8rda is in the mail and my abit is playing bios roulete:D

Ruantic
03-16-2003, 12:53 PM
A confessed "Enthusiast" without a backup computer? Isn't that a like against the law, or something?:confused: Seriously, if you have time yet on your 30 days, keep it for a bit, at least through a day or two of tweaking, if you plan on modding the board maybe a bit longer :D ..... If your near your 30 day limit take it back...

Have had my NF7-S 1.2 since the 4th with no probs, no hiccups with bios, no nothing, Probably because I have a spair Bios. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable without at least a spair bios and only the NF-S... Definately wouldn't keep the Asus non-deluxe for that kinda $$$... If you do kill your NF-S you could always try out a different board from the store:rolleyes: ......

muzz
03-16-2003, 12:54 PM
I asked someone who has the NF7 and the part number of the bios chip is different than the 8RDA unit.........
Good Luck this time DS....
You been beatin' on'm pretty good.:D

deathstar13
03-16-2003, 01:10 PM
lol thanks for the advice guys.yeh i think i have the 30 day thing until the 3rd of next month.ill just keep it handy until a few days prior.
[h] had a link on there front page a while back on the abits and epoxs bios chips and hot flashes.thu guy said they do swap out for hot falshes.and i know personally the epox and asus is hot swappable from my own workings.so im guessing all 3 would be similier.never really know until i try when its needed.

ive been doing a bang up job latly lol hopefully my luck will turn for the better soon on killing things.but as they always say."your not ocing hard enough,unless your killing things" :D

GVCryan
03-16-2003, 03:07 PM
If they are 3.3v and the same size, its a good guess that they work.

shortcircuit
03-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Oh man, don't get me started about smoked parts. I have to hold the record here...

Creative GF4 Ti4600

GVCryan
03-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Shortcircuit, congrats on that Barton OC, I was cruising Vr-zone and your the top non LN2/CO2

Major
03-16-2003, 06:02 PM
KEEP THE ASUS !!!!!!!

Nothing feels worse than a dead mb and no replacement handy (I know first hand)

deathstar13
03-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Major Slaughter
KEEP THE ASUS !!!!!!!

Nothing feels worse than a dead mb and no replacement handy (I know first hand)
hmmm see thats what im fighting against in my head.its not a bad mobo if i did the mods needed,really stable actually.

:smileysex <~~~~~ thats how i felt when my 8rda died and was out of cash.had to return the true power 480 which i really needed just to buy this.mobos are usually the most expensive parts in an amd system.

i guess ill see how this nf7 1.2 works out tomorow.unless more poeple post and change my mind for the millionth time.god i hate thinking!