PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Recommendations

ugp
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I am looking into getting a MacBook. The OS itself just amazes me and I am hooked for the switch over.

Now what I am looking at is the 13.3" 2.0 Core Duo Model.

How much memory does the OS actually use...is 512MB enough or is it worth the 1GB.

I plan on getting into some video editing and making DVDs and what not.

Also can I plug in one of my external HDDs that is NTFS and will it read and write to it within the MacOS?

Chr0n1c
07-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Not 100% positive but I think the externals will have to be FAT32 in order for OSX to use them correctly and allow you to still use them with a windows OS.

As far as mem IMO, 512MB is never enough..especially if you want to do DV editing, 1GB at the bare min. My DV PC machine has 2.5GB and I am getting a MacBook soon as well for DV on the go, will have 2GB in that too. Just makes life better. 512MB would give you a headache I imagine, but I guess it could depend on the size of your work.

GL and happy buying.

ugp
07-31-2006, 05:56 AM
What RAM will work with the MacBooks? I see it is much cheaper to upgrade it yourself than for them to add the RAM.

psyconut713
07-31-2006, 06:07 AM
its either pc5300 or 5400 ddr2, i would wait to see if new ones with merom CPU's are annonced next monday, its only one more week, to order, and if they have them, they should be shipped by september. but thats just mac rumors.

Edit: i would think its eaier to upgrade, but they have had a history of one dimm sodiered, you might be able to order one with 1GB in it with one slot open, but i doubt it. its far cheaper to do it yourself then buy from them. they seem to charge you for the orginal mem, plus install fee if you just want 512 more.

ugp
07-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Exactly...

And I am sure the prices are going to be alittle more with Meroms in them and I am on a budget. So I think I am going to start out with 512MB only...and then just buy a 1GB stick for $90.