PDA

View Full Version : Sereral newbie questions.

Henry_360
07-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi, I have never watercooled anything before, but fancy giving it a go, and I'm going to do my Xbox 360, as pervious people who have done this have reduced the processor temperature from around 70C to 35C, that's knocked it in half and that can't be bad.

Background about the 360, it has 2 processors, both on the motherboard, one GPU with a small heatsink, and one CPU with a huge one:
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1135950972RZLrIMzkgy_2_2_l.jpg

components are easy to source to get good contacts without any clearance issues, koolance have the ones i'm going to get, but i have some simple questions:

1. All of the setups i've seen run in series, by that i mean the water goes into the GPU, then into the CPU. Doesn't that mean that the water is warmed and hence is not as effective? the other solution is to do it in parallel and split the cable into two, feed the chips independently, then rejoin the cable after. This would have the effect of cooling both chips with the coolest possible water, BUT would half the flow rate of the water... which option is better?

2. And for the experts. looking at the current heatsinks, what size radiator/pump combo would be recomended?

ta!
Henry.

eXa
07-30-2006, 10:25 AM
series. you dont want paralell!

creidiki
07-30-2006, 10:30 AM
no. series is fine. in a typical loop water temperature delta across a radiator (inlet-outlet) is under 1c. even in very loaded loops is under 2c.

this generally translates in the 2nd GPU in an SLI loop having a load temperature about 2-3c above the 1st one.

parallel on the other hand has no advantages. you halve the per-block flow, meaning you lose efficiency because of reduction of turbulence, and also you will get the most flow through your least-restrictive block - water follows the path of least resistance.

JoeBar
07-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Why would u like to reduce its temp? Are u going to oc it...? :p:

Waste of time in my opinion.

eXa
07-30-2006, 01:09 PM
i would do it, but not for temp but noise. the xbox360 is like an jet!

Kallenator
07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
i would do it, but not for temp but noise. the xbox360 is like an jet!

Then just update the fans, cause they probably suck... (Well they suck but in another way) :p:

septim
07-30-2006, 04:01 PM
if you want parallel then better go 2 seperate loops...
else series is better...