PDA

View Full Version : Vapo vs Prometeia

Shroomer
03-09-2003, 04:34 PM
I am planing on buying one or the other her in a month or two.

could you list pro's and cons to each system and what you would recomend. I am a serious OCer and have achieved some very high OC's with AIR but want to step it up a notch and see what phase change has to offer.

thanx all Shroomer :D

JCviggen
03-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Vapochill

pro

- cheaper
- more solidly built
- looks better
- less heavy (LAN capable without breaking your back)

cons

- less extreme cooling, slightly lower OC
- I still dont like the PSU position and the fact it also runs the compressor

Prometeia

pro

- it gets freaking cold
- better CPU mounting

cons

- heavy
- more power consumption, but it does run independantly from your PSU
- ugly, needs modding to look respectable at a LAN (if you're willing to break your back)
- you need to be careful with that hose. you break it, you pay for it.
- you need to buy your own case for it unless you want to be stuck with that pos enlight thing on top, and its already more expensive than the vapo without the case

guess it comes down to the point where you decide to be either extreme or practical ;)

Shroomer
03-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Nice reply ;)

I am seriously leaning for the Prometeia. One thing that conserns me is the lack of the power conditioner that used to come with them (or was extra) I really dont know. is that going to cause it to be a less stable OC at cold boot situations ? is there away to make a power conditioner. Do you know how?

which system is designed better for a coolant upgrade and would handel it without upgrading parts of the compressor or anything else ?

OPPAINTER
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
As far as power conditioner, I've never had or used one to this day, I don't even know what it's suppose to do:D Anyway, I have no boot up problems with the Prometeia, only once, when I left it sitting for a week or so, did it have a Initial boot problem.

OPP

Hardass
03-10-2003, 03:07 PM
I tried it and found it made no difference in boot up. Took it out and never put it back.

Shroomer
03-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanx guys ;) so is the prometeia suited for a coolant upgrade or will that require a better compressor/other parts

OPPAINTER
03-10-2003, 03:46 PM
You can't just slap in some R404A, you'll need to do some hard modding. I wish I could just Upgrade the coolant, I need more already, with AMDs doing 2900Mhz at 2 plus volts. R404A would be the hot item to get these chips to do 3Gigs.

OPP

JCviggen
03-10-2003, 03:49 PM
I believe many fridge shops are capable of converting to R404a... the compressor needs to be drained, the cap tube changed, and then refilled. Its not very cheap, but hardly a very expensive procedure...

Shroomer
03-10-2003, 03:57 PM
any idea's on the temp change you could expect from doing that upgrade ? and are we talking more than 200 bux US

JCviggen
03-10-2003, 04:00 PM
I believe PilsY got his one changed for about 60-70 us$.

Temp change... about 10-15C less, and it is able to transfer a lot more heat that R134a

Shroomer
03-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Daaaammmn that is a plan thanx for all the info guys ;)

also is there away to swap the coolant back out if a warranty issue

OPPAINTER
03-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JCviggen
I believe PilsY got his one changed for about 60-70 us$.

Temp change... about 10-15C less, and it is able to transfer a lot more heat that R134a

Well I need to have it done then, this just isn't cutting it, if it's that simple then I'm wasteing time here running at 2900 when the thing could 3gigs.

OPP

JCviggen
03-11-2003, 12:09 AM
I dont think you can pull out an extra 100 MHz, but at least 50 stable and maybe a bit more for benching ;)

I think it comes down to finding a decent guy/shop who's willing to do it for you at a fair price...

isp
03-16-2003, 09:50 PM
I got the vapo and I have had it for about a week...here is how I see it...

You going with Intel? Vapo would be fine for that. So would Prom. Not to much of a difference between what you will get out of intel...

Ever plan on going AMD? Go with prom... the vapo evap eats amd cores like candy and is really tricky to get mounted on AMD :stick: ...

I've sold my vapo for about what I payed for it and now I'm going to get a prommy...

but I will say the vapo was a nicely made product and works well with intel... but if your thinking AMD just go with the prommy

Shroomer
03-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Yes I am planing one both :D

Promy for AMD and Vapo for my Intel rig :D

JupiterSSJ4
04-07-2003, 07:08 AM
God you guys must be rich!

I would get a Prommy is I had the choice, although my crappy xp2100 polly sucks.