PDA

View Full Version : Gamers in Paris enjoy 2.5Gb/s Internet.

sladesurfer
07-26-2006, 06:14 PM
:clap: http://slashdot.org/articles/06/07/26/127205.shtml

Anyone who can spare 70 Euros a month and can get service from France Telecom in the Paris region can enjoy internet with 2.5Gb/s downstream and 1.2Gb/s upstream, along with free phone and television. The new network is purely fiber optic

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
hot dayyum! just wet myself..

ill be old granpa before dat ever happens here in the usa.. :(

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-26-2006, 06:18 PM
:clap: http://slashdot.org/articles/06/07/26/127205.shtml

:slobber:

screw gaming, imagine how quickly you could share files... legal files.

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 06:20 PM
85$ for tv/phone/blistering internet?

how the F*** is that possible?

when in usa?

rcofell
07-26-2006, 06:20 PM
*sigh*
Maybe if I'm lucky I'll see it here in a few decades...

HiJon89
07-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes those, gamers are really in for a treat when they have 250 Ping b/c 90% of servers are in North America.... Anyways, gaming usually only consumes about 40-50KB of bandwidth.

As Westsideplaya has already pointed out, the possibilities are much greater for file sharing..... legal file sharing ;)

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I've been in withdrawal ever since finishing college and leaving the MCI regional hop. :(

LOL :ROTF: :ROTF:

Kunaak
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
just imagine how much :banana::banana::banana::banana: you can download everyday with that, haha... just kidding.

I have 3 meg internet.
funny, I feel like compared to the rest of the world, this is ancient.
but I can't even tell the difference between 1 meg, and 3 meg internet...

buff
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
ha!
i just got 3mb/s dsl......
:(

WesM63
07-26-2006, 06:32 PM
like someone already sad, you are only as fast as the weakest link. (The case in ANY network)

cMw
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
good lord, i can only imagine what i could do with that speed on dl'ing :banana::banana::banana::banana:, "files" off of bittorrent ;), and gaming oo man that would be sick, lan pings to any server

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
i cant believe dats 1.2 Gigabits/s upload.. here we got Kb/s upload..

not fair! :(

JuanFlaiter
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
OMFG! :slobber:
(excuse my french)

Repoman
07-26-2006, 06:46 PM
How the hell ??? It's cheap too!!

[XC] MarioMaster
07-26-2006, 06:56 PM
i just got upgraded to 7mbps cable... and back when i had one way i thought 7mbps was :slobber:

M.Beier
07-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Damnit..

In Denmark such thing has been underway for.. 2 years now? In Copenhagen..
Now we'll get it installed on 2th august at my home, sad thing is, school starts 10 august, 50miles+ away.. So Im moving to an apartment, timming, aye?

Its more like:
80USD for internet
100 USD for television
50USD for phone with this solution though..

And one more thing, its 100mbit as max in Denmark, eventhough the cables can provide more than 364TB/s according to a NESA conference (company who puts them into the ground)

Shpoon
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
WOW....I hate my 1mbit line (oh wait, "5")

Mr. Popo
07-26-2006, 07:09 PM
My 1.5Mbit/s is crap. :(

lv_dicedealer
07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
See what happens when the government (a liberal government) subsidizes technology deployment to their citizens?

note: I am not liberal in the political term

arisythila
07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I get 10 megs down, and 1.5 megs up... runs me about 60 bucks a month.

~Mike

Reznik Akime
07-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Im gonna start writing choice letters to a certain few politicians and companies.

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I get 10 megs down, and 1.5 megs up... runs me about 60 bucks a month.

~Mike

wat isp?

tal47
07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
In Israel the average connection speed is 1.5 Mbit

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Im gonna start writing choice letters to a certain few politicians and companies.

we all should.. even developing countries have faster internet than usa.. ridicoulos

Mr. Popo
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
In Israel the average connection speed is 1.5 Mbit
Nah, lots of people are upgrading to 5MBit/s.

Shpoon
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Nah, lots of people are upgrading to 5MBit/s.

"Upgrading" my ISP "started" doign that 2 years ago, apparently my area hasn't been touched yet.

WesM63
07-26-2006, 07:51 PM
You guys know that the US is very far behind in technilogical devlopment compared to eastern countries right? The US is where Japan was in the 80's IIRC.

Kobalt
07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
How is that possible...fast network cards are 1gigabit...thats slower than the internet connection in france!?

Mr. Popo
07-26-2006, 08:06 PM
How is that possible...fast network cards are 1gigabit...thats slower than the internet connection in france!?
Fibers? :D

ex2cib
07-26-2006, 08:07 PM

i wondered that myself

did see a fiber PCI card, dont know how that works though (with PCI i mean)

also, what happens when (IF) you were to download at max speed. that would be about 312MB/s. no telling how many drives in raid to keep up with all that data. you would have to have plenty of memory to maybe store the data before it was written to the HD, then you have to have a crazy CPU to be able to process all that data coming in.

i wonder where you go to figure out if the ISP isn't giving you your full speed?:p:

Kobalt
07-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Fibers? :D

yea the speed of light is pretty fast ;). but jeeze...thats crazy. I could download every version of windows in like 30 seconds. All legal copies of course :D. 2.5Gb/s = around 300mb/s :slobber:. Thats a winxp disc in 2 seconds.

rcofell
07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd say the network card would be the bottleneck then, but I'd say maxing the connection wouldn't happen that often as overhead + the connection on the other side would come into play. Maybe this will spur a faster adoption of 10gigE :D

I suppose a big reason why the US is taking so long to get faster lines(besides the telecomm companies being greedy and lazy :( ) is because the shear size of the country, if you look at japan they are far more compact.

theteamaqua
07-26-2006, 08:12 PM
only 70 euros ...

i pay 60 bux for cable, 30 for 3mb DSL, and prolly around 30 bux for phone

Mr. Popo
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
yea the speed of light is pretty fast ;). but jeeze...thats crazy. I could download every version of windows in like 30 seconds. All legal copies of course :D. 2.5Gb/s = around 300mb/s :slobber:. Thats a winxp disc in 2 seconds.
Only need to find a server that support it! :D

Charloz24
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow awesome speed.....:eek:

But hey you all guys stop complaining right now! My ONLY possible internet connection here is 31.6Kbps max:cussing:

And no I will not pay 1000$+ of equipment for internet by satellite + 100$/month.

Kobalt
07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Wow awesome speed.....:eek:

But hey you all guys stop complaining right now! My ONLY possible internet connection here is 31.6Kbps max:cussing:

And no I will not pay 1000$+ of equipment for internet by satellite + 100$/month.

Do you live in an Igloo or something? Jeeze...

rcofell
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
did see a fiber PCI card, dont know how that works though (with PCI i mean)
Most gigfiber cards are pci-x, but they're backwards compatible with normal pci. Except then the bus's max bandwidth(133MB/S theoretical) is about the same as the gig link(125MB/S theoretical), so there'd be a hit of course, which could be pretty bad if you're also running a hard disk controller on the same bus :-/

Reminds me of how I keep putting off to adding the fiber card to my fileserver...

Mr. Popo
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
It's called "Canada"... :slap:
Haha, joking! :D

Kobalt
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
It's called "Canada"... :slap:
Haha, joking! :D
lol...:ROTF:

Charloz24
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
:lol2:

Nope but I'm living 12km of the nearest village :(

Just hope wireless internet will spread enought to reach my zone.

Reznik Akime
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
And I hope this will pressure the US to get some decent speeds.

Note how I say hope.. because a man can dream, by crikey.

JuanFlaiter
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
only 70 euros ...

i pay 60 bux for cable, 30 for 3mb DSL, and prolly around 30 bux for phone

I pay 50 bucks for Cable Inet (256Mbit :mad: ) and Cable TV. TG my neighboor has 2Mbit and doesn´t encrypt his wireless connection :sofa:

arisythila
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
wat isp?

Called WaveBroadband.

~Mike

[XC] Lead Head
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
I pay 50 bucks for Cable Inet (256Mbit :mad: ) and Cable TV. TG my neighboor has 2Mbit and doesn´t encrypt his wireless connection :sofa:

why exactly are you mad about 256Mbit:p:

arisythila
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd say the network card would be the bottleneck then, but I'd say maxing the connection wouldn't happen that often as overhead + the connection on the other side would come into play. Maybe this will spur a faster adoption of 10gigE :D

I suppose a big reason why the US is taking so long to get faster lines(besides the telecomm companies being greedy and lazy :( ) is because the shear size of the country, if you look at japan they are far more compact.

I think your hard drives would be the bottle neck, not the internet connection, with my 10mb/sec connection, my download speeds are in the 1.5 mb/sec range, and you can hear the hard drives crunching. hehe

Big reason US takes so long, because we are lazy pretty much sums it up. Why do hard work when you dont have to? Your still going to buy your cable internet, or DSL, regardless...

~Mike

[LCN]Knowledge
07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
OMG,, 80 bucks is what i pay for ADSL2+ 8Mbits, cable, and phone, how in the hell could they have sooo cheapy prices for fiber?? maybe they got aliens there in France :p:

NapalmV5
07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Called WaveBroadband.

~Mike

tnx! 2 bad dey don have it in my area..

biohead
07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
lol just got a 22mb down / 2mb up connection doing ±2,15 mb/s down and upload peaks at ±280kb/s. lightning fast compared to my previous 6mb/1mb connection, but jeeze ... internet in GIGAbits per second? That's a new one. Makes my internet looks like nothing. And only at €70,-? Wuttuf? My new connection costs €85,-/mo alone.

TyroPyro
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Crazy... government subsidized fiber infrastructure?

Rovtar
07-26-2006, 11:34 PM
just imagine how much :banana::banana::banana::banana: you can download everyday with that, haha... just kidding.

I have 3 meg internet.
funny, I feel like compared to the rest of the world, this is ancient.
but I can't even tell the difference between 1 meg, and 3 meg internet...

yea but need very fast disc to write this stuff so fast

Lightman
07-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Here in London we can get 24mbps broadband :D

But in London-Shoreditch you can get 2gbps! (Pilot program)

I was spoken last year with friend from South Korea about internet and he told that in his country 2mbps broadband is for reciving E-MAILS!!

Normal broadband was 100mbps or 1gbps! :rolleyes:

Galactic
07-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Wonder what's the point of this, no disc can write data this fast. Afaik even the fastest drives are only like 750mbit/s. BTW, does that really mean 2.5GB/s? Shouldn't it be like 2.5GBit/s?

eva2000
07-27-2006, 01:11 AM
My 1.5Mbit/s is crap. :(
same here :(

biohead
07-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Wonder what's the point of this, no disc can write data this fast. Afaik even the fastest drives are only like 750mbit/s. BTW, does that really mean 2.5GB/s? Shouldn't it be like 2.5GBit/s?
welcome to XS :toast:

it says Gb/s. lowercase b = bit, uppercase = byte. No hard drive can write a gigabyte in one second so that would make no sense at all. 2,5 gigabit per second, as in 300+ megabytes per second. Wait, apart from uberSCSI, I dont even know harddrives that can read/write that fast? Wait, I've 'only' got a gbit LAN onboard. Is there any higher anyways? So whats the point?

realsmasher
07-27-2006, 01:29 AM
got 100mbit/s at the moment but next month or so it will be 1gbit/s. (university in germany)

but there is no sense for it.

first : even the 13,x mb from 100mbit you are never able to use. Fastest i ever got was like 8mb/s.

second : nearly EVERY port is blocked, so bye bye online games, file sharing, what ever, just pure surfing, ftp and network.

so it's pretty crap. I would love to have 1Mbit connection but all ports open. It's MUCH better.

DoubleZero
07-27-2006, 01:31 AM
i cant believe dats 1.2 Gigabits/s upload.. here we got Kb/s upload..

not fair! :(
Yep, by far the most impressive is the upload.

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 02:21 AM
The reason we aren't seeing widespread adoption of fibre is the existing copper infrastructure. You can't replace it easily. In a greenfield site its easy but the carriers don't want to risk the investment. In a built up area you have to go in and replace a huge amount of copper wire and with all the various regulations about digging up roads etc it becomes a lot more trouble than just the material cost.

There are several options:

1) You agressivly persue replacing the existing network. Expensive and difficult but as we can see it is happening in major cities (London and Paris particuarly)

2) You take the fibre to the area but then change to copper to get to the houses. Its basically a PON approach and works by shortening the copper loops. Cheaper and gives you more bandwidth, less signal degradation and lower latencies.

3) You bring a big fibre bundle with lots of bandwidth to each group of houses and then split it off to the individual houses. You can use whatever technology that you want in that last section. Its a middle ground between the two other methods.

Most big businesses are already geting fitted out with fibre over instead of DSL or cable now anyway but it is the residential areas that are lacking bhind a lot. In Europe that is mainly DSL while is USA it is more even with the majority using cable. PON is widespread in Japan. MOst are still on copper so the new bonded copper tech is becomming more attractive to DSL providers than replacing it with expensive fibre.

Whatever the way it is delivered everything is converging to carrier ethernet, which provides a much higher QoS than anything else out at the moment. Then again the current Sonnet SDH is ancient so thats not surprising.

Sorry for the poor grammer. I haven't had coffee yet :D

Galactic
07-27-2006, 02:58 AM
welcome to XS :toast:
Thanks :) I actually have registered about a week ago but my account wasn't activated until now.

Starscream
07-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes those, gamers are really in for a treat when they have 250 Ping b/c 90% of servers are in North America.... Anyways, gaming usually only consumes about 40-50KB of bandwidth.

As Westsideplaya has already pointed out, the possibilities are much greater for file sharing..... legal file sharing ;)

not really.
there are also alot of game servers in Germany, Netherlands france etc way more then 10%.
Companys that host game servers are aware that alot of their customers live in Europe and theyd know that id would b bad busines trying to sell them US based servers.
i live in the netherlands and on US based servers i get a ping between 80 and 100 if im unlucky 150.

If you get a ping of 250 it just means ur going threw a load of bad hops.

@NapalmV5
85 dollars for Internet Tv and phone is a normal price tbh.
overhere for that cash i get TV, Digital TV with movie channels (and pr0n), phone and Internet (1Megabyte down 130KB up).
it all goes threw 1 cable so that lowers the price considerebly.

the thing that makes it hard to believe is the speed of the connection.
But on the otherhand pumping a signal threw fiberglass all the way is cheaper then threw coax.
Damn the are areas here that got Fiberglass into the house got 10Megabit down and up and are atm testing 100megabit down will be ages tho till its widespread.
My internet/Tv/Phone also goes threw a fiberglass line but some 20 meters from my home it goes over into a Cable line.
The houses here r some 100 years old the expensive bit is laying the actual fibre into the house so i wonder if the people that use this connection in Paris have ot pay for the hook up or if it gets sponsered.

the ones that will have a problem when such speeds start to be normal are companies that host servers etc.
If them speeds are 24/7 and there is no bandwith limitation u could easily host ur own server etc.

madman2233
07-27-2006, 03:47 AM
imagine how many people are going to run home-based websites. i see a decline in the web server business in europe. if i could get my upload above 100KBps i would be very happy.

and have you guys heard about the speed booster thing comcast is using? i've reached burst speeds up to 15Mbps with my 8meg connection.

Starscream
07-27-2006, 03:53 AM
imagine how many people are going to run home-based websites. i see a decline in the web server business in europe. if i could get my upload above 100KBps i would be very happy.

and have you guys heard about the speed booster thing comcast is using? i've reached burst speeds up to 15Mbps with my 8meg connection.

ya dunno if its the same but my provider makes ur upload 4x as fast for 4.95 extra a month and u can switch it of whenever u want.
My upload i get with them is 130KB stil thinking if having it 4x as high is worth it.
But how much does this speedboost cost with ur provider?

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 03:54 AM
not really.
there are also alot of game servers in Germany, Netherlands france etc way more then 10%.
Companys that host game servers are aware that alot of their customers live in Europe and theyd know that id would b bad busines trying to sell them US based servers.
i live in the netherlands and on US based servers i get a ping between 80 and 100 if im unlucky 150.

If you get a ping of 250 it just means ur going threw a load of bad hops.

@NapalmV5
85 dollars for Internet Tv and phone is a normal price tbh.
overhere for that cash i get TV, Digital TV with movie channels (and pr0n), phone and Internet (1Megabyte down 130KB up).
it all goes threw 1 cable so that lowers the price considerebly.

the thing that makes it hard to believe is the speed of the connection.
But on the otherhand pumping a signal threw fiberglass all the way is cheaper then threw coax.
Damn the are areas here that got Fiberglass into the house got 10Megabit down and up and are atm testing 100megabit down will be ages tho till its widespread.
My internet/Tv/Phone also goes threw a fiberglass line but some 20 meters from my home it goes over into a Cable line.
The houses here r some 100 years old the expensive bit is laying the actual fibre into the house so i wonder if the people that use this connection in Paris have ot pay for the hook up or if it gets sponsered.

the ones that will have a problem when such speeds start to be normal are companies that host servers etc.
If them speeds are 24/7 and there is no bandwith limitation u could easily host ur own server etc.

LOL.. yeh for u guys.. but even u r not getting 2.4Gb/1.2Gb for dat price.. those lucky french..

till last week for a year ive been paying $120+/month just for internet (8Mb cable + 5Mb dsl)

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 04:06 AM

yeh, on boost.. up to 4-5MB/s transfer other times 2-3MB/s boost.. but i dont have the comcast 8Mb anymore.. last week they decided to put a filter on the cable so no more free basic cable tv for me.. so i decided to put a filter on their service.. :)

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm interested in seeing how the newer versions of DSL such as ADSL2+ pan out.

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 04:14 AM
^ also verizon fios.. they could offer 100Mb easy..

Shrodix
07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
I live in France in a village of 2000 people and I have 18M/1M !

cool

Movieman
07-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Like everything in the world, it's money and greed. The US multimedia companies want it all. They allow us to use 1 percent of the available network while keeping the remaining 99% for their own use. Three or four years ago 2 US Congressmen introduced a bill to mandate a 100mbit network be available to all US homes. What happenned? The lobbiests for the companies gave a ton of $$ to the people running against them in their next election. BOTH those guys are now gone..Sort of tells you who really runs things.

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 05:03 AM
I live in France in a village of 2000 people and I have 18M/1M !

cool

18M/1M @ village?!?!?!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

madman2233
07-27-2006, 05:28 AM
ya dunno if its the same but my provider makes ur upload 4x as fast for 4.95 extra a month and u can switch it of whenever u want.
My upload i get with them is 130KB stil thinking if having it 4x as high is worth it.
But how much does this speedboost cost with ur provider?

the speed boost is free. they are testing it out in certain areas at first, then they are going to make it available to all of their customers.

its called PowerBoost:

http://www.comcast.com/powerboost/

thunderstruck!
07-27-2006, 05:48 AM
OMFG, why is the US so behind? Guess I'll be moving to EU!

Steensen
07-27-2006, 05:55 AM
At 2.5Gb/s it is even starting to be RAM limmited (in DDR333 (single channel)systems and below) :o

10Gb Ethernet is getting close to being limmited by the CPU's, or at least the Northbridges, and to get the full 10Gb/s, you'll need about 20 PCI-E lanes, PCI-X 133: go home ("only" 8.5Gb/s). :D

In my region of Denmark, the power company are digging fiber optic cables down through out my city, and the first buildings have been connected.
When connected, you'll be offered a 10/10 Mb/s for approx. 85$ (US).

biohead
07-27-2006, 05:57 AM
here in holland it doesnt really matter where u live. im in a village with a 22m/2m connection.

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 06:11 AM
When we are all on carrier ethernet fibre we won't be getting confused about dl/ul speeds. Its symmetrical unlike copper DSL or cable.

Starscream
07-27-2006, 06:26 AM
here in holland it doesnt really matter where u live. im in a village with a 22m/2m connection.

ya but thats mostly cause back in the day when phone and cable companys were owned by the goverment they invested lots of cash in newer cables and when they got privitised they had the new cables already in the ground in some places.

i also live in a small town but have good speeds.

@Cobalt
am not shure but the theoreticle max speed of DSl2+ is between 30 and 40megabit a sec.

Verisimilitude
07-27-2006, 06:35 AM
You guys know that the US is very far behind in technilogical devlopment compared to eastern countries right? The US is where Japan was in the 80's IIRC.

They have 1 city over 1million people, and Fiber Optics is not cost competitive over cable atm. How do we know this isn't in the rich upscale Paris area?

Dallas has had Fiber Optics for 2-3 years now. Verizon FIOS for residential, it d/ls at 300MB/s = 2.5gb/s. It isn't subsidzied so it is alot more pricey than $80.

Read the Slashdot Comments, they are pretty good.

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 06:39 AM
In the residential or enterprise markets? As I said, nearly 80% of enterprise buildings already have fibre. It was at about 50% all the way back in 2000 so growth in that area has slowed slightly because most have it now.

Resdentially I don't think many people are on anything other than the orginal copper which is running out of bandwidth and QoS is going downhill with that. Bonded copper is going to rule outside the major cities.

the
07-27-2006, 06:52 AM
heh, reminds me of this site
http://www.newnetworks.com/ShortSCANDALSummary.htm

metachronos
07-27-2006, 07:52 AM
I was happy that Charter upped their speeds from 3m/256k to 5m/512k, they have a 10m/1m service but it's like $70 a month.

Repoman
07-27-2006, 08:36 AM
^ also verizon fios.. they could offer 100Mb easy..

I was just going to mention this. Verizon are really pushing the speeds of internet way up here in the US.. if it's available in your area of course. The starting package of 5/2 for $35 a month is already being moved up to 10/2 for the same price in some areas. The next highest 15/2 for $45 a month is being moved up to 20/5mb as well. I think we're talking 5 years at most before we see 100mb/s for affordable prices with Verizon fios

edit: and iirc the 30/5 package for $100 (or $150??) a month is moving to 50/10. Half way there already, and prices are sure to drop.. I hope :(

edit2: I was just reading fios reviews on broadbandreports.com, in some areas verizon is doing 50mb download for $90 a month :toast:

OBR
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Till today i though internet in my country is the poorest on earth, but i think now i must love my 4MB/1.5MB for $30 per month!

zentrad
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Till today i though internet in my country is the poorest on earth, but i think now i must love my 4MB/1.5MB for $30 per month!
Really? in my country when you can consider yourself VERY lucky if can use interner 512kbps with $300 charge a month without network disconnection and problems:slapass:

phelan1777
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
sick just sick, maybe the French are not so bad after all.

It's okay though cause my GF and I will be moving over seas in a couple of years. Europe here we come :-P

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Yay. EU is the best :D

And it looks like you have my favorite quote in your sig phelan:toast:

Getttosmurf
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
most likely they sell this 2.5G fiber nowing that just about no one has scsi raid arrays to even com close to those speeds. here in sweden 1/1G lines is 100$/month unlimited transfers and has been for a year or so so hoping they will upgrade my 100/20 ($35/month) fiber pipe to a gbit soon :)

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I'll need to get a gigabit NIC and router once this comes to my area.

Starscream
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Really? in my country when you can consider yourself VERY lucky if can use interner 512kbps with $300 charge a month without network disconnection and problems:slapass:

what country is that if i may ask? i somehow think australia or am i far of?

i have to say tho that alot of people here say what they are paying for etc but u dont always get what u pay for.
a m8 of mine is paying for a DSl 20megabit down line but the max speed he reaches is like 15megabit a sec due ot distence etc.

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I was just going to mention this. Verizon are really pushing the speeds of internet way up here in the US.. if it's available in your area of course. The starting package of 5/2 for $35 a month is already being moved up to 10/2 for the same price in some areas. The next highest 15/2 for $45 a month is being moved up to 20/5mb as well. I think we're talking 5 years at most before we see 100mb/s for affordable prices with Verizon fios

edit: and iirc the 30/5 package for $100 (or $150??) a month is moving to 50/10. Half way there already, and prices are sure to drop.. I hope :(

edit2: I was just reading fios reviews on broadbandreports.com, in some areas verizon is doing 50mb download for $90 a month :toast:

nice.. hmm.. where r those areas?.. gotta give'em a call..

Steensen
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM

i have to say tho that alot of people here say what they are paying for etc but u dont always get what u pay for.
a m8 of mine is paying for a DSl 20megabit down line but the max speed he reaches is like 15megabit a sec due ot distence etc.
It might also be because of limmiting of the DL speed from a single URL, so perhaps he can/will get to 20Mb/s or more when using a DL mannager like i.e. getright. (www.getright.com)

Getttosmurf
07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
It might also be because of limmiting of the DL speed from a single URL, so perhaps he can/will get to 20Mb/s or more when using a DL mannager like i.e. getright. (www.getright.com)

depends on his ul speeds aswell 100mbit down uses a few mibits ul so if 20/1
and an upload of say 0.6 it will strangle his dl's

Starscream
07-27-2006, 11:52 AM

nah he tried it all and the answer he got was its simply due to distence.
like most DSL providers the advertised speeds are the max speeds u get like when u live close to the hook up and cables r good etc.
Thats why i nvr care about the advertised speeds but about the actual ones.

btw anyone know a good way to test upload?
most sites that let u test Download, Upload connection and ping let u upload a really small file wich sucks when checking an upload above 100Kb.

Kanten
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
You know what, I hate living here, I really do.

Let's stop blowing stuff up and get with the program, please.

WesM63
07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
What do you guys want to know? I work for a smallish ISP here in NW Ohio.

The bottleneck with these connections in france WILL be servers in other locations. Take this for example:

home (2Gb/s)---ISP Backbone (say 10Gb)---USA backbone(10Gb/s)---USA Server (45Mb-100Mb)---home(4Mb)

Yea the internet will be blazing fast until you try hitting that server, or just FTP to home server. This is the problem in ALL networks, your connection is only as fast as the SLOWEST link.

This is how China, Korea and small compact country's get away with having 100Mb/s connections. 90% of there traffic is Local, meaning it never leaves the LAN/WAN. (prolly 1-10Gb/s backbone).. The 80/20 rule if anyone is familiar with that.

Fiber is NOT hard to run or setup, it should be easy for even the smallest ISP's. I love how most people think all fiber is underground.. lmao 95% of our fiber is ABOVE GROUND. Ever see the black cable that is attached below power lines on Telephone poles? That is fiber.

I have over 50 small businesses on a MAN connecting at 1Gb/s to other (remote) locations. They receive a 5Mb/5Mb connection to the net.

Rolle2k
07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Damnit..
And one more thing, its 100mbit as max in Denmark, eventhough the cables can provide more than 364TB/s according to a NESA conference (company who puts them into the ground)

I have both been in a fiberoptic education over a year, and now i also work with fiberoptic, and i wouldn't say that is completley true... 364TB/s is the worldrecord in speed (at least it was a while ago). And that is on just plain fiber, and that was achieved in laboratory. When you put the fibers in cables it would be much harder, as the fibers arnt just laying straight in the cables. Also the longer fiber you have you will get more Cromatic- and PMD-dispersion, which is the biggest parts that are lowering your bandwidth. So you probably won't be near that speed today if you had a cable in the ground that is some kilometers long.
Anyway, it's mostly the converters/electronics on each side of the fibers that is the bottleneck today, this as they tend to get insanely expensive with higher speed.

When you guys talk about internet, funny here in Sweden we can get 24/1Mbit almost everywhere. And if you live in an appartment you at most places have 100/10Mbit. :p:

WesM63: It depends on where you live, In Sweden it's the opposite way, most of the fibers are underground, and this is because you won't have any trouble with trees falling over the cables and cuts them of.
It may be much more expensive put them underground, but it's waaaay better looking at the problems you may encounter with them in the poles.

phelan1777
07-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Bah I want access to the Internet2

Starscream
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Fiber is NOT hard to run or setup, it should be easy for even the smallest ISP's. I love how most people think all fiber is underground.. lmao 95% of our fiber is ABOVE GROUND. Ever see the black cable that is attached below power lines on Telephone poles? That is fiber.

I have over 50 small businesses on a MAN connecting at 1Gb/s to other (remote) locations. They receive a 5Mb/5Mb connection to the net.

that fiber isnt hard ot set up and that the cost of the cable itself isnt a problem is true .
The problem overhere in the netherlands with fibre optics is that those last few meters into the house cost alot with an already existing house and they argue to much about how to split the cost.
Also running ur fibre optics threw them high elektricity masts is impossible in alot of regions overhere.
Citys and towns almost direct connect to eachother wich forces them to put the cables under the ground.
So like with most things it isnt the cables that creates the costs but all the stuff around it.

btw if anyone here gets such a connection in france pls tell us how much u get at good news group servers.

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Maybe that is your setup but at Netevents I got the impression that the majority was underground now. Maybe thats just in EU. Cable is more often underground anyway and so DSL is the only thing that currently works above ground. It doens't change the fact that, with the current Sonnet infrastructure in place, with 100s of thousands or rings, it is not cost effective to go in and rip it out. Its profitable for businesses because they are all located in relativly small areas but once you get out into the smaller towns you get very a bad ROI.

A small development of new houses right near where I live was outfitted with fiber (lucky buggers I live about 100yards from them and don't get it :mad: ) and they put that in all in a trench. The phone lines were above ground though.

Starscream has it right there. The cable costs nothing. Putting it there costs a lot unless you are able to put it above ground. That isn't really practical for long distances and is more prone to failure. Case in point: the pole carrying the phone lines to the new houses broke leaving them without phone for a week. If the fiber had been on that then they'd also been without internet and cable TV.

EDIT: Wes, you realise that the entire internet is a WAN right?

kiwi
07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
most likely they sell this 2.5G fiber nowing that just about no one has scsi raid arrays to even com close to those speeds. here in sweden 1/1G lines is 100$/month unlimited transfers and has been for a year or so so hoping they will upgrade my 100/20 ($35/month) fiber pipe to a gbit soon :)

Was gonna mention that :)

Forget :banana::banana::banana::banana: d/l :p:

2.5Gb/s = 312MB/s
Link at its max is usually 70-90%, so we need hard drives that can write at around 250MB/s
How many of you have such drives? :p:

My raptor raid 2x74GB can do around 140MB/s max

gr8golf
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I hooked up a fiber based internet connection in my office. It is 10MB up 10MB down. I was so geeked up to play CounterStrike over it and pwn everyone - then I realized that the Watchguard FIREWALL it runs through is slower than hell! Forget the speed of the local server.

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Was that on carrier ethernet then? I didn't think even the fiber DSL/cable were symmetric.

WesM63
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Here at least 95% of the fiber is above ground. We do have some in ground but no where near as much as above ground.

EDIT: Wes, you realise that the entire internet is a WAN right?

Not sure where your going with this question or why you even asked it. Yes I know the internet is a "WAN"... This is what I do for a living.

Click Here (http://www.needmoreboost.com/xs/BCSv.jpg)

Cobalt
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Because you said that in Japan/Korea that it never leaves the "LAN/WAN"

I'm not quite sure where you're going either. You seem to assume that because the company you work for uses overground fiber that everyone else does, when in fact you are in the of minority carriers.

I'm also not sure what the point of that image was other than to show the network using a large amount of fiber. And VOIP which I'm pleased to see as it was a hot topic at this years netevents.

3NZ0
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
good god :eek:

thats insane redefined and as some people have pointed out, usless in most cases.

512k here, its saturated 99.9% of the time both ways :D

its hella cheap though, £7.50 a month uncapped.

[cTx]Philosophy
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
This would allow me to rule the world... Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa
Must move to france to acheive final objective of world domination....
Man thats alot of :banana::banana::banana::banana: oops I meant Majestic 12 points...

WesM63
07-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Because you said that in Japan/Korea that it never leaves the "LAN/WAN"

I'm not quite sure where you're going either. You seem to assume that because the company you work for uses overground fiber that everyone else does, when in fact you are in the of minority carriers.

I'm also not sure what the point of that image was other than to show the network using a large amount of fiber. And VOIP which I'm pleased to see as it was a hot topic at this years netevents.

I think you mis-read or didn't quite read the entire post. You are also mis-interperting what I am saying.

This is how China, Korea and small compact country's get away with having 100Mb/s connections. 90% of there traffic is Local, meaning it never leaves the LAN/WAN. (prolly 1-10Gb/s backbone).. The 80/20 rule if anyone is familiar with that.

I said it never leaves the Local LAN/WAN, i.e. the 80/20 rule. (Technically the 80/20 rule is for a "Local LAN" however, it does apply in this situation. "80 percent of the traffic on a given network segment should be local (destined for a target in the same workgroup), and not more than 20 percent of the network traffic should need to move across a backbone (the spine that connects various segments or "subnetworks") )

I also said, 95% of OUR fiber is above ground. Just so you don't miss it:

I love how most people think all fiber is underground.. lmao 95% of our fiber is ABOVE GROUND.

I never once said ALL fiber is above ground. I mearly thought it was funny how when someone hears the word "fiber" they instantly think it is buried underground. Like I was pointing out, thats not always the case.

The image was to prove I know what i'm talking about and have been doing this for quite some time. The diagram I linked was a network I designed for a company, however they went with a diffrent design.

Please read my posts thoroughly before coming to a conclusion that you assume I have no clue what I am talking about.

wa77ss
07-27-2006, 02:48 PM
You guys with DSL/Cable are lucky !!!! I cant even get either !!!!

The best I can get is an 800 Kb/s WISP. My average ping in games is 300-700ms. Therefore I dont even bother to play anymore :(

I would sh** if I could have 2.5 Gb/s, or much less, even cable :rolleyes:

In Japan I thought alot of their cities had terabit fiber laid to like every building. That pwns Paris :rolleyes:

phelan1777
07-27-2006, 02:48 PM
5 years ago I worked for a Window Cleaning company, that did the final cleaning on newly built homes and worked as a contractor for homes that were already built by the same company.

One of the customers was a guy that invested in Fiber Optics back in the 80's, early 90's, seriously the 2 hours it took me to clean his office windows in his house which was HUGE, the man had at least two phones one on each ear, a video conference on his laptop, and another phone that was ringing off the hook.

From what I heard, he makes money everytime someone sends a bit of data over seas. The man had like 8-10 kids, and the house to hold them and then some.

urbanfox
07-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Wireless is the future, not fiber.

WesM63
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
In Japan I thought alot of their cities had terabit fiber laid to like every building. That pwns Paris :rolleyes:

Thats a good possibility but not that i'm aware of. The fastest switch I see you can buy is 10Gb/s.

wa77ss
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM

Wireless = Latency

Latency = not good for games :(

Trust me, I know :(

NapalmV5
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Was gonna mention that :)

Forget :banana::banana::banana::banana: d/l :p:

2.5Gb/s = 312MB/s
Link at its max is usually 70-90%, so we need hard drives that can write at around 250MB/s
How many of you have such drives? :p:

My raptor raid 2x74GB can do around 140MB/s max

come on guys.. we got hard drives.. 4 raptors can do dat, no sweat.. wat we don got is Gb/s.. :(

metachronos
07-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Fiber has way more bandwidth than wireless ever will.

NickS
07-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Damn, A year ago I thought my 5mbps down 384kbps up was good. Now, it's average. I just stayed a few nights at the RIT hotel, which shares internet with the RIT college. 25mbps down 10mbps up was effing AWESOME. Come home, suckage. I seriously hope USA gets better internet soon, or road runner for that matter. Comcast I think it was is offering 7mbps now.

EDIT: I talked to Road Runner on Live Chat today, and they said to contact my local office. Everyone using RR, contact their local offices, see if we can get any info! I'm calling mine tomorrow. Let's hope for a possible future speed inrease! :woot:

rcofell
07-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Thats a good possibility but not that i'm aware of. The fastest switch I see you can buy is 10Gb/s.
I dunno about terabit speeds too, but an OC-768 would yield about 38Gb/s, of course one of those would be exceedingly rare, or else multiple OC-192's would do the same. Of course any of those connections would be strictly network backbone and chances are it would break it down into smaller links which would be further divided.

I wonder what the next ethernet standard will be, I remember hearing a jump to 100gigE would be too large, so something like 40gigE would be likely. Seeing copper at any speeds above 10gigE would be interesting as well, being 10gigE over copper is restricted to 65m I think for Cat 6, Cat 7 would be needed for the full 100m.

wa77ss
07-27-2006, 07:09 PM
I just wish some company would come and lay fiber all through out the USA so all homes could have high speed cable broadband. Im tired of the wireless ISP non sense as well as dial up.

turbox997
07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I didn't bother reading through ALL 5 PAGES, but SURELY someone has considered the logical reason as to why the USA DOES NOT have such awesome internet connection available nationwide! Look at how HUGE we are, and how established our lines have been, it would cost a MASSIVE FORTUNE to upgrade all the ground wires NATIONWIDE! This is how the US gets left behind on technology, lol..smaller countries in Europe and Asia(already developed), and even developing countries in the world who have not established a well networked data infrastructure, can easily do this for their whole country over night...well at least more easily than the US could do it.

Starscream
07-28-2006, 04:37 AM
I didn't bother reading through ALL 5 PAGES, but SURELY someone has considered the logical reason as to why the USA DOES NOT have such awesome internet connection available nationwide! Look at how HUGE we are, and how established our lines have been, it would cost a MASSIVE FORTUNE to upgrade all the ground wires NATIONWIDE! This is how the US gets left behind on technology, lol..smaller countries in Europe and Asia(already developed), and even developing countries in the world who have not established a well networked data infrastructure, can easily do this for their whole country over night...well at least more easily than the US could do it.

one of the reason why the EU and some parts of Asia are more advanced in this area is cause back in the day when the cable companies were goverment owned some of them goverments put fibre into the ground instead of copper. Wich was possible back then cause they had kind of a no profit thing going.
So they basicly got a few years headstart. Nowdays them companys cant throw aroudn cash like that cuase they wanna make profit.

i think a reason wich makes it hard todo for both (US and EU) is that the big heavy populated citys dont like it if companys break open a heavy used street for a few days just to put a cable into the ground.

tbh if a nowadays a company is gonna put cable into the ground for internet etc i think they should al just straight go ot fibre just to be ready for the future.

viper650
07-28-2006, 05:26 AM
verizon is offering "FIOS" in some areas, is fiber optics...

ArcTan
07-28-2006, 05:45 AM
damn that's crazy
I'd just be happy with unlimited downloads on my cable connection instead of crappy 60gb(20gb peak, 40gb off peak) for about us$50

Muunsyr
07-29-2006, 09:10 AM

I don't think it will be australia, I live in melbourne (second largest city is australia) and it is quite easy to get 24/1mb connections. I pay au$80/month for adsl2+ and am getting 15/1mb due to distance (shaped after 20GB :( ).

Mind you the regional areas are still living in the dark ages; my parents town has only just been approved for upgrades to ADSL (not ADSL+/ADSL2/ADSL2+). Due to the quality of the line the dial-up speeds they have been getting is around 42kb/s (meant to be 56k). Further out in the sticks, many people are still only getting <22k.

I can't remeber exactly how long ago it happened, but I would say it was less than 10 years ago that the telcos were still government owned.

idiotec
07-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I have a 10 Mbps Fiber line in Sacramento, CA. They also offer a 20 Mbps option.

It is great, but the thing is, especially for file sharing, my bandwidth is very rarely capped on my end. There is almost always a weaker link in the chain. The most common times I max at my end is when downloading from a more reputable website which has the infrastructure to accommodate the bandwidth.

As far as gaming, this also becomes pretty much capped as I often get single digit pings, so not much room for improvement there.

Where I really see the future of such high bandwidth services is integrated into TV service for a true, full library of "On Demand" content.

Right now though, there seems to be a few too many "weak links" though to utilize such bandwidth.

NickS
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
If you have broadband, ping doens't really change with speed. It all depends on things like distance between you and server, network traffic, etc etc.

Metroid
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
"Presence-pc at reports that France Telecom just announced they are offering 2.5 Gb/s Internet connections to select cities in the Paris region. For ... $85(70 Euros) a month you also get free phone and TV. From the article (in French): 'The historical operator opted for a GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) FTTH architecture (Fiber To The Home). This technology allows up to 2.5 Gbits/s download and 1.2 Gigabits/s upload.'"

2.5 Gbits/s means the same as 25 Mega Download or downstream.

1.2 Gigabits/s means the same as 1.2 Mega.

We have in britain a plan that gets up to 24 or 2.4 Gbits/s or Mega download and upload stream 1.3 for mere 24£.

They tell is giga but is far away too big. Is impossible increase the speed in 100X, with everything together as TV broadband and others services. It must be less than the company below.

The news is just untrue about somethings. It is not Gigabits is megabits.

So that does not impress me.

Link Here (https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do)

LowRun
07-30-2006, 03:25 AM
2.5 Gbits/s means the same as 25 Mega Download or downstream.

1.2 Gigabits/s means the same as 1.2 Mega.

We have in britain a plan that gets up to 24 or 2.4 Gbits/s or Mega download and upload stream 1.3 for mere 24£.

They tell is giga but is far away too big. Is impossible increase the speed in 100X, with everything together as TV broadband and others services. It must be less than the company below.

The news is just untrue about somethings. It is not Gigabits is megabits.

So that does not impress me.

Link Here (https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do)

2.5 Gb is approximately 300 MB.

Getttosmurf
07-30-2006, 06:12 AM
in theory 312.5Mb/s

arisythila
07-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Yay. EU is the best :D

And it looks like you have my favorite quote in your sig phelan:toast:

I wonder what Europes realestate looks like. I could easily buy a 500,000 dollar house. Not sure if that is big there or not.

~Mike

http://www.viviun.com/AD-59471/ <--- Nice and cheap!

Metroid
07-30-2006, 08:09 AM
2.5 Gb is approximately 300 MB.

and 25 Mb is approximately 2.5 MB. How come 100 X 25 for that price and services, For me that is untrue. If the ratio is 150/1 or 250/1 maybe this could be possible. I think that speed is for all the residents.

in theory 312.5Mb/s

The theory is right :) but the article should be specific and tell details. It is impossible that speed for that price. The speed does not rise more than 5 times year. Last year here in britain we had a plan that gets 4 mb per 35£ the same company has adopted 10 Mb per the same 35£, so we must say not even 2 times faster than previous year. This year a company has a plan of 25 Mb but in reality it gets around 15 Mb for mere 24£, so we must say it increased 5 times the speed, because they adopted the ADSL +2. Now this untrue article tells something clearly so unspecific.

LowRun
07-30-2006, 09:49 AM
and 25 Mb is approximately 2.5 MB. How come 100 X 25 for that price and services, For me that is untrue. If the ratio is 150/1 or 250/1 maybe this could be possible. I think that speed is for all the residents.

The theory is right :) but the article should be specific and tell details. It is impossible that speed for that price. The speed does not rise more than 5 times year. Last year here in britain we had a plan that gets 4 mb per 35£ the same company has adopted 10 Mb per the same 35£, so we must say not even 2 times faster than previous year. This year a company has a plan of 25 Mb but in reality it gets around 15 Mb for mere 24£, so we must say it increased 5 times the speed, because they adopted the ADSL +2. Now this untrue article tells something clearly so unspecific.

Those are theoretical speeds, it should be more like 100 MB up and down actualy. And yes it costs 70€ a month. Fortunately this market is not driven by your simplistic formula or whats going on in the UK (wich is laying far behind for that matter), it's about technology and costs. Fiber is the tech and due to their past monopoly they have the pipes already which brings costs down to an acceptable level.

Metroid
07-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Those are theoretical speeds, it should be more like 100 MB up and down actualy. And yes it costs 70€ a month. Fortunately this market is not driven by your simplistic formula or whats going on in the UK (wich is laying far behind for that matter), it's about technology and costs. Fiber is the tech and due to their past monopoly they have the pipes already which brings costs down to an acceptable level.

That was well explained. I have to see with my own eyes before tell my conclusions.

Thanks. :)

I found my answear: GPON provides 2.5 Gb/s downstream and 1.2 Gb/s upstream, shared among 32 endpoints (currently; the technology is supposed to evolve to support 64 endpoints). In other words, each endpoint gets around 80 Mb/s downstream and around 40 Mb/s upstream. 2.5 Gb/s is the downstream system capacity between the optical line terminal and optical network terminal, not the service offered to an individual customer. In addition, the back end of the optical line terminal is typically a single GbE port into the carrier's backbone, so there's a contention factor which limits the total bandwidth available to the subscribers served by the OLT to less than 1 Gb/s.

That is it :)

LowRun
07-30-2006, 02:59 PM
That was well explained. I have to see with my own eyes before tell my conclusions.

Thanks. :)

I found my answear: GPON provides 2.5 Gb/s downstream and 1.2 Gb/s upstream, shared among 32 endpoints (currently; the technology is supposed to evolve to support 64 endpoints). In other words, each endpoint gets around 80 Mb/s downstream and around 40 Mb/s upstream. 2.5 Gb/s is the downstream system capacity between the optical line terminal and optical network terminal, not the service offered to an individual customer. In addition, the back end of the optical line terminal is typically a single GbE port into the carrier's backbone, so there's a contention factor which limits the total bandwidth available to the subscribers served by the OLT to less than 1 Gb/s.

That is it :)

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Based on the info you provided, i guess their offer should be based on a 32 endpoints (or a little less if it's technicaly feasible and they wan't to stick to 100 MB down/up).
They estimated it would cost 10 billions € to cover 40% of the population and 30 billions more for the rest. You get 2 months for free if you subscribe.

JuanFlaiter
08-02-2006, 05:51 PM
why exactly are you mad about 256Mbit:p:

Ooops, typo